• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

winter project/mods list

As long as you have some method for securing the seat pad to your body. You won't want it coming loose and sliding down onto the street.:eek2:

I'm leaning towards this now , should be comfy
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/caborvbase12.html
Most of the battery powered vests i have seen are $80 and up [ and generally get poor reviews] , name brand jacket liners and vests $130-$150 and up , up up. I am cut back to part time on the job hence my search for alternatives . My gear works pretty good down to about 30f but I have to REALLY want to ride to take off on my 40 mile commute when it's that cold ; if I could get any little extra help at all it might greatly up my ride time.
I got this idea from stopping at a little mexican fast food place I frequent on the way to work . I get a couple big hot breakfast burritos wrapped in foil and just drop them down the front of my jacket. Heavenly !! :sun:

You could always glue velcro to it to secure it about you body. Would be the heck out of newspapers and plastic we used in the 60's. ;-) Man was I young and dumb back then. Sigh!

You could always glue velcro to it to secure it about you body. Would be the heck out of newspapers and plastic we used in the 60's. ;-) Man was I young and dumb back then. Sigh!

I had to do the newspaper bit once ! Rode down to dallas , 4 hour trip, in a t-shirt . That night on the way back a freak cold front blew in , sprinkled a little rain on me. I got so cold I wanted to cry! 3 in the morning in the middle of nowhere , no money , nowhere to get shelter. I wrapped a newspaper around me and it made enough difference.
Young and dumb.. well now I'm old and dumb but experienced . Learned a lesson now I at least try to 'be prepared' ;-)

3. need more light , thinking of going with 70watt low beams with 14g wire thru a relay and maybe 55w HID for high beams [ Most of my riding is on high traffic 2 lanes and I rarely get to use high anyway] I'm having a little trouble finding higher wattage h7's that aren't some kinda funky blue color ,.i don't want any LEO attention

Well i changed out my headlight bulbs , not that impressed . I like the whiter tint to the bulbs [ '5000k' ] but they didn't seem to be any brighter or have any more range than the stock parts. Having a tinted coating probably negated the higher wattage.
I may well go with an HID conversion ; ddm tuning has their kits on sale for $50 with a lifetime warranty

Well i changed out my headlight bulbs , not that impressed . I like the whiter tint to the bulbs [ '5000k' ] but they didn't seem to be any brighter or have any more range than the stock parts. Having a tinted coating probably negated the higher wattage.
I may well go with an HID conversion ; ddm tuning has their kits on sale for $50 with a lifetime warranty.

I put HIDs on mine and cant believe the difference, Ive tried the all sorts of other uber bright bulbs in the past and they all left me dissapointed. HIDs are the best and the price is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH and I forgot to say it was 80 degrees and sunny yesterday, It kind of makes me dislike all the B.S. that happens here a little less when I can ride year round.

I put HIDs on mine and cant believe the difference, Ive tried the all sorts of other uber bright bulbs in the past and they all left me dissapointed. HIDs are the best and the price is right.

What wattage and color temp did you go with ? The thermometer hit mid 60's here today so i went to enjoy a ride ; riding home after dark confirmed my suspisions , The new bulbs are a bust. Altough the whiter -hint of blue light seemed to reflect signs better at a distance the actual output seemed less !

Besides all of my other projects I've got going for my Bandit I am also adding trying to find a different rear brake master cylinder to replace the stock unit as I've never really like the looks of the black rubber supply line running down to the master cylinder from the reservoir, so I started looking at all of the used reservoirs for sale on eBay last night and I stumbled across this one off of an 06 RMZ 450.

It has a integral reservoir with sight glass which I like as the stock reservoir is pretty hard to see the level in unless you remove the side cover and looking at the picture it looks like it might work on the Bandit, and If it will work I think it will look pretty good smoothed out and polished up, and the RMZ's push rod rubber boot part number is the same as the Bandit 1250's which tells me that they both have the same piston bore, which is good.

If anyone has an 05-08 RMZ 450 please contact me as I have a few measurements I need to get off of one before proceeding. :rider:

Newreservoir.jpg

I may well go with an HID conversion ; ddm tuning has their kits on sale for $50 with a lifetime warranty

It'll be the best $50 you ever spent, seriously. I had an old kit lying around from a car and put them in the Bandit... WOW. Mine are the 6000k temp, but if I had to do it over again I'd get the 5000k just to avoid any of the blue-ish hue. 6000k isn't bad, but I'd rather look like another sheep in the flock than draw extra attention.

Here's a good chart:

hid_photos_compare.jpg

If my ballasts blew up I'd buy another kit today. Couldn't live without them now.

trey

I'm leaning towards this now , should be comfy
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/caborvbase12.html
Most of the battery powered vests i have seen are $80 and up

A little late getting in on this but you know what they say about being late.

A while back, I installed a seat heater kit to my Suzuki gel seat. My wife is someone that will be cold on a beach in Fiji and most of my riding (80% +) is with her. She loves the heated seats in our Jeep so why not give it a try, right?

Well what a difference! I have been out on 500 mile rides in 3c (37f) weather, properly dressed of course, and have been very comfortable. Often in the summer it will be turned on for some of those cooler days or rides through higher elevations. Heated grips are always turned on low, they help fight off arthritis pain in my hands.

4 best mods to my bike:
HID bulbs hi and low beam (4300K color)
Heated seat
Heated grips
Steble horn

List of mods also includes:
Suzuki gel seat
DL1000 hand guards
Satelite radio
GPS
Chatterbox
Powerbronze 4" taller screen

Future plans:
Gold valve fork mod
Audiovox cruise
Road trip to Alaska (2 up)

Yes we got 5 inches in Mississippi, they said the most snow fall at one time in 25 years. Roads were all good due to the. Igor before being above freezing

I had a wreck last weekend on my 2007 Bandit 1250s.
I was at speed in a nice curve going about 60 and saw the guy in front of me do a quick juke and point down, by the time I looked back down hit the BRICK in the rode and went straight off of curve. Flew about 20 yards. Nothing broken just aches and pains. But the bike well, I have taken off the front cowling and cowl brace along with the radiator. Bike landed on right side in mud and ripped the whole right side fairing off and bent radiator.
I am thinking of going cowless with one large headlight or two smaller ones with a small wind screen.
Anyone know what lights would work (as in easiest to install without so much wiring I hang myself with it). Or have done the naked/street fighter look?
I’ve tried to search forum but haven’t come up with anything.
I know one guy has done this on here on his red Bandit but can’t remember hi name.
Help is appreciated as I want to get her back up and running ASAP.

Reviving an old thread here! Started my winter list last night:

New Spark plugs
Fork Re-spring with RaceTech springs and 5wt oil. Fork seals and bushings.
Paint or powdercoat the wheels as they are pretty chipped up around the beads.
Pair block off?
Installed luggage rack from Tec Bike parts.
Heated Oxford Grips.

Decided, local powdercoater only wants $80 to powdercoat the wheels. Bearings ordered, tires and wheels dropped off for dismount and bearing removal!

I had a wreck last weekend on my 2007 Bandit 1250s.
I was at speed in a nice curve going about 60 and saw the guy in front of me do a quick juke and point down, by the time I looked back down hit the BRICK in the rode and went straight off of curve. Flew about 20 yards. Nothing broken just aches and pains. But the bike well, I have taken off the front cowling and cowl brace along with the radiator. Bike landed on right side in mud and ripped the whole right side fairing off and bent radiator.
I am thinking of going cowless with one large headlight or two smaller ones with a small wind screen.
Anyone know what lights would work (as in easiest to install without so much wiring I hang myself with it). Or have done the naked/street fighter look?
I’ve tried to search forum but haven’t come up with anything.
I know one guy has done this on here on his red Bandit but can’t remember hi name.
Help is appreciated as I want to get her back up and running ASAP.

Hey man, I know this is a bit late but wanted to see if you got it workees out. I removed all of the fairings from mine and installed an LED Daymaker. Works and looks great. You need an H7hi,H7lo to single H4 adapter w/a relay. Go to innovaticewiring. He sent me a great one. But you’re going to need to deal with the speedo cluster. You’ll need the back cover from the European “N” model. I got mine from MSP in the Netherlands. Good luck.

Back