• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is GoPro still the way to go?

I recently sold my GoPro Plus here on the forum. Truly, they are capable little cameras. However, the tiny buttons, vague icons and incredibly difficult video transfer and editing issues required to make a final product worth viewing is a major obstacle. At least for this old guy, and I am fairly tech savvy. Major time sink, so be prepared. There must be thousands of GoPros sitting unused in drawers. Try eBay?

I've been reading a thread on ADVrider's Battle Scooters where I guy I trust talked about getting a new camera and after his research he went with one of the Chinese ones and seems pretty happy. I'm thinking about picking one up on Amazon and I already have a Contour I don't use anymore.

This camera has four different lens settings from wide to narrower, remote and Wifi to your phone plus many accessories. $119.99

Anyhow, hopefully this link goes to page 39, post 769 if anyone's interested in reading along. CaptnJim is the poster and has several follow ups on the his progress with camera.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/all-about-scooting.1276440/page-39

Amazon link,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKV9FRX/?tag=twowhetex-20

There is also the Yi Lite camera for about 120 with a case as well on Amazon. if you look for youtube reviews, there are a number of them that compare the different cheap cameras to each other and even a gopro. The big thing for me as I ride to work at night sometimes is the image quality at night. So far, Sony and gopro seem to be the best from what I've seen on youtube.

Personally, I am saving for a Sony AS50. its not as small as a gopro and would have to go on the side of my helmet instead of as a chin mount, but I can live with that. That Sony is 168 currently.

GoPro ramped through their models pretty quickly in an attempt to fix the user interface.

early models were very user hostile and surprisingly enough didn't chase them out of the market. The later version fell more in line with the mainstream using 1080p and H264 codecs.

Looks great in raw form.

The issue is file size and getting the video hosted. Youtube is a real nazi when it comes to stream rate, file format and overall file size. Vimeo is much more lenient.

A camera that has good audio, takes a common battery for power and has a positive feel on the record on and record off button are the most important features. YVMV

The Garmin Virb is a cool camera, not in the cheap knock of range but with full 360 views

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSHeRCcezc4&index=4&list=PLZQteomUj15N8JaZpSaAb3vTjPu4XkjMj"]Garmin VIRB 360: Hangtown with Pro Jeremy Martin - YouTube[/ame]

Appreciate all of the input and great links. I've scoured ADVRider and other sites and just can't find a good fit at the right price.

The budget is getting really tight with all of the spends for the trip. New tires on both bikes, Garmin GPS InTouch Mini, potential airbag vests....having fun ain't cheap as they say.

I'd love to be able to afford a Garmin or Sony, but in reality it ain't happening. I don't want or need 4K, it seems overkill. I would like image stabilization if possible. The answer just might be no video camera for this trip either.

I'd love to hear from folks who have or have had experience with the sub--$100 amazon Chinese knock-offs.

If you do get a GoPro, Hero 4 has an easier/cheaper way to connect an external microphone.
My Hero 5 isn't able to pick up my bike unless I have an external mic on me, behind me or in my helmet, but needs a $50 adapter for that.
I'd make sure any Chinese cam does support an external (lapel) mic.

If you can try your camera before a trip it's useful as getting the audio to not suck may take a while.

If I had the $$ to get a camera that can connect to my BT headset for microphone, that would be the least headache I bet.

My dbpower I got as a birthday gift and my (refurb) Hero5 both take equally good video. So at least that part you shouldn't have to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have....had one of the Chinese knockoffs, a SJCAM SJ4000 w/WIFI, It worked ok. IMO the image quality wasn't as good as a GOPRO. I used it a lot to record shooting videos of matches or practice. Audio quality was basically non-existent.

Here is a video recorded with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3s_QS7vomM"]CHURCH RAISE - YouTube[/ame]

Here is another one recorded with a Contour HD on my commute to work when I lived in San Diego. I don't think these are around anymore except for on the used market. It was a great camera and IMO better form factor than the Contor because it was more of a tube shape than a box shape. And the lens was rotatable 180degrees so you could "level" the video as needed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5fZgBRktOs"]DAILY COMMUTE - YouTube[/ame]

I recently scooped up a Go Pro 4 Black used with a bunch of accessories for 100 dollars and haven't recorded anything with it other than messing around with it but it's easier to use. The SJCAM just woulnd't power on one day. I tore it apart and found heavy corrosion to the switches. Which is strange because the camera had never been wet just exposed to humid conditions when shooting.

My son and I have 2 of the Contours. We feel they are the best way to go. They are
easy to use, not bulky and take great pictures. No complaints after 2 years.

As I ride to work at night sometimes, I'm really curious how the Akaso does in low light.

After I get to play with it some I'll post a couple of videos. I'll try to do a "low light" situation as well.

Thread related content

Who has personal experience mounting these cameras on a helmet and how did you do it without it hanging off the side like some kind of weird cactus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

"Dashcam" setup?

Sorta, but it's specific to motorcycles. One facing forward, probably under the front nose of the fairing, and the rear mounted under the trunk. I'll have to wait until it arrives to see what will fit where. The central unit will hold up to a 256gb card so it will record quite a bit before it writes over the older recordings.

I have a space under my trunk floor where my SD card MP3 player resides and I think the central unit will fit in there as well.

Thread related content

Who has personal experience mounting these cameras on a helmet and how did you do it without it hanging off the side like some kind of weird cactus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

e5843085ad0ef4a689cb008c75359075.jpg

532c327d15a414f421c0866ed7986b8c.jpg

That's a blue and yellow putty you knead together .

I used that because then chin got pretty narrow and the GoPro mount wouldn't have had much contact if I had used the two sided 3M sticky pads (they work fine so far on my current helmet after unveiling a completely flat surface under my front vent slide.)

Kneadatite Blue/Yellow Epoxy Putty Tape 36" "Green Stuff" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQ7EHHC/?tag=twowhetex-20

Since this is epoxy, there was no glueing needed after it cured overnight. Been on it for months now.

MotoRadds Motorcycle Helmet Chin Mount for GoPro https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W2J774/?tag=twowhetex-20
I bought this after reading some recommendations (On, I think, ADVRider), when I was sure I'll buy another helmet as I missed having a peak, didn't need it as the new helmet is a camera mounter's gift from God [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is that a wireless Innov? I've looked at those but didn't like that they went to single camera for the latest setup. Haven't looked at them in about six months. Will be interested to hear your review.

And I'm with morfic, that's where I keep mine.

Is that a wireless Innov? I've looked at those but didn't like that they went to single camera for the latest setup. Haven't looked at them in about six months. Will be interested to hear your review.
My mechanic really liked the way they were built; the video images are very crisp, but I can't connect to the DVR with my Pixel 2XL yet I can connect with the wife's Pixel 2. I've got a request in for support.

I have an extremely slow upload connection, so once they are loaded to YouTube I'll drop a link in here so everyone can see the quality of the images. It might take a while before that happens. :doh:

And I'm with morfic, that's where I keep mine.
Is this in reference to something else in the post?

Back