TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #41
focus frenzy

Re: Electrical wiring questions.

received mine and gave it a try.
lets see if this amazon prime pictures works or not.

why the heck is this not working?

Last edited by focus frenzy; 03-26-2018 at 11:05 AM.
focus frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #42
focus frenzy

well the picture is here: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...Mef5G2dNIj5Ho7
Old 03-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #43
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
received mine and gave it a try.
lets see if this amazon prime pictures works or not.

why the heck is this not working?
Because that link does not point directly to an image file. Amazon is doing the same thing as Google and other sites that want you to visit their site to see the image. They are preventing you from embedding via a direct link. If your link does not end with ".jpg" or some other legit graphics file extension, it will not work with the IMG tags.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #44
jfink
Forum Supporter

'04 Goldwing (ich bin eine Deutschlander) (US States and Canadian Provinces)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #45
Rainmaker

After taking the bike down the Dempster I had few connection problems to my aftermarket lights and aux plug. Could be the solder cracked as mentioned above. I haven't tore it all down to look . I did order the Eastern Beaver tie in harnesses for switched power and extra tail lights. I figured one day I would get motivated to tear it all down.

I was recently tasked with building a wire harness for work. I needed to install my product and use existing sensors , power, and switches with out damaging the existing harness in the military vehicle. There were over 15 connectors. I had no clue. I have sense become very educated on building harnesses. Most connectors have a part number on them and can be referenced at Mouser or digikey. My company bought the crimpers needed for various brands of connectors. Moving forward I will be building my own harnesses for a few dollars and then just plugging them into the factory wiring.

Four Bikers and a Monkey

http://www.pearlsnapsandpermafrost.b...s-sparked.html

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center. -Kurt Vonnegut
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #46
Cagiva 549

Over my lifetime I have built compleatly wire harnesses for off road machinery on several occasions , the most interesting was a 24 volt machine with 12 volt accessories the factory had put a resistor in line to each accessory that failed regularly and cost way more than it was worth since it was a caterpillar I installed a heavy duty relay to draw power from one battery only , the switch was on 24 volt power but all the low voltage stuff drew power from the first battery only thru the relay that was powered up when the switch was turned on giving them 12 volt . That job was probly 15 to 20 years ago , that machine is still going strong with only a couple minor electrical breakdowns . No solder , all crimp and quality marine grade wire with metric pak harness plugs and loom on all harnesses . since this is not a garage queen , also no square crimps . Everything is stake crimp . And wont pull apart . The biggest break down was when vandals trashed the dash board because the operators didn't lock the vandle proof dash cover one night . I had to build a dash board with gauges from scratch since the dealer wanted hundreds of dollars for one because they would have to have it special built .

Dell city is my source for all low voltage supply's , I don't buy ready made fuse panels , just make my own . I kinda like to use old school SAE glass fuses blocks and just cut them the size I want and add jumper strips on the power side . One fuse block can have switched power and battery power that way . The Bosch type 5 terminal relays are fine for bikes and cars but I don't use them on heavy equipment , too fragile and you can't test it in place .
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride

Last edited by Cagiva 549; 03-28-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Cagiva 549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:39 PM   #47
notyou83

Similar to the OP, I want to add a 12v power source to run GPS or charge my phone. I just have no idea what to get. Should I get the cigarette lighter port or USB only? I like the idea of one with voltage output shown, but I'm not wanting to spend 100 bucks on it. There's tons of stuff on Amazon and such, but I was hoping someone had a recommendation with personal experience on how it works for them.

links would be appreciated as well.

Last edited by notyou83; 03-27-2018 at 11:41 PM.
notyou83 is offline   Reply With Quote