• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

THE TWTex XR400 Thread.

You're back on the stock stator right now?

I spent a lot of time and math thinking I could get the stock stator to run it. I took it to RTB rally and wound up having to shut the light off during the day in case we ran late and I needed it to get back to camp.

Last edited:
Are those USB charge ports you mounted on the bars really enough to keep your phone charging when using GPS / Pandora / etc? Seems like with most USB cables, my phone still discharges during moderate use, but seems to charge with a cigarette plug in the truck. Just curious, since I'd like to do something similar on my bikes.

Are those USB charge ports you mounted on the bars really enough to keep your phone charging when using GPS / Pandora / etc? Seems like with most USB cables, my phone still discharges during moderate use, but seems to charge with a cigarette plug in the truck. Just curious, since I'd like to do something similar on my bikes.

Well, haven't tried it for any length of time, but I'm guessing it does. The USB wire I plug into it to charge my phone will be pretty short, so that will help.

For example, I bought one of those 9' long USB chords to charge my phone with the wall charger. It'll charge it, but only if I'm not using it for anything. If I'm using it, it will at best only slow down power consumption. I think a lot gets lost through the length of the cord itself. That said, the power for the port itself is run by itself, and connected directly to the battery. It doesn't have to share current with the headlights, or anything else, and the cable for it is pretty high gauge wire, maybe 14ga?

Another example- my air compressor won't run if its not plugged directly into the wall, or its a HEAVY DUTY extension cord no longer than 25'

This may be a better bet though
[ame="http://m.ebay.com/itm/261865572985?nav=SEARCH"]Motorcycle Waterproof 2 1A Cigarette Lighter USB Power Socket Charger for Phone | eBay[/ame]

Last edited:
with the USB cables it matters what you plug them into. I-phones come with USB cable and a mini wall cube that puts out 1 amp and charge reasonably well, but if I plug into the front plug on my computer it charges slower. my computer likely only puts out half a amp from the front USB's
with pads you need even more so you find USB lighter/ accessory outlet adapters now that put out 2 amps.
that combo bar mount accessory and USB power supply is rated for 2.1 amps. it should work good on a XR with a aftermarket charging system as the stock one has enough trouble running just the lights.

Its been titled, with an "off road only" title.

Let me explain how dumb the woman at the local tax office is.... REALLY DUMB.

"its been titled off road only, it don't matter if you get it inspected or not shug..."

There has to be something in writing saying you can, I just gotta find it.

You need inspection report, ask for a greensheet form just in case (not required but it made the tax office ladies feel better) title, insurance.

Print out the pages in the Vehicle Title Manual stating that an off highway motorcycle can be converted once it passes inspection.

Be nice. Expect to wait an hour while they all try to figure out what to do and seek permission. Get plates.

http://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/doc_download/3080-title-manual

Ch. 14
Pages 16,17
Section 14.19
Paragraph 6 titled "Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles"

"Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles
Once a motorcycle has been titled as an off highway vehicle without registration, VTR
requires an application for corrected title to clear the remark if the vehicle is ever modified
in order to register. If a transfer of ownership is involved and a current license number is
shown in the license number space on the application for Texas title, the notation “Off
Highway Use Only” deletes automatically from the title record. Applicants should include
verification of a DPS safety inspection and a copy of the current registration receipt with
the application for Texas title."

Ch. 14
Pages 16,17
Section 14.19

Once a motorcycle has been titled as an off highway vehicle without registration, VTR
requires an application for corrected title to clear the remark if the vehicle is ever modified
in order to register. If a transfer of ownership is involved and a current license number is
shown in the license number space on the application for Texas title, the notation “Off
Highway Use Only” deletes automatically from the title record. Applicants should include
verification of a DPS safety inspection and a copy of the current registration receipt with

Dude..... YOU JUST EARNED A SEAT AT THE BBQ TABLE. RIGHT BETWEEN LEON, AND GURU. ;-)

Here's the template. The metal shop wants $75 a piece to cut these from 1/8" aluminum, which, isn't really even thick enough. No thanks. Back to the drawing board.

I've always wanted a band saw. ;-)
IMG_20150525_184625461_zpstyvvmtha.jpg

Ch. 14
Pages 16,17
Section 14.19

I'm about ot pull the trigger on getting this '97 XR400 w 100 miles on it. The previous owner bought the bike in Massachusetts, registered it at the DMV and got a title since he had always intended on putting a kit on it and making it street legal.

I guess this makes getting it street legal one step easier? Guess I'll have to wait to get the title and see exactly what it says.

You're back on the stock stator right now?

I spent a lot of time and math thinking I could get the stock stator to run it. I took it to RTB rally and wound up having to shut the light off during the day in case we ran late and I needed it to get back to camp.

So it looks like the best option is to just upgrade the stator.

What's the suggested stator upgrade? the Ricky 200W from XRSonly.com?
http://www.xrsonly.com/ricky-stator-high-output-stator-honda-xr400r-200-watts

And if you do that, do you have to upgrade the regulator/rectifier?
http://www.xrsonly.com/baja-designs-dual-sport-motorcycle-regulator-rectifier-dc-wired

That baja R&R looks just like the cheaper B&S R&R. ($15.99 from Sears)

Last edited:
That baja R&R looks just like the cheaper B&S R&R. ($15.99 from Sears)

What do you look for to find out if a R&R will work on a particular bike?
wattage input into the device
voltage output from the device?

So in this case:
100W from one leg of the stator into the R&R
12V from the R&R into the device you want to power on the motorcycle?

What voltage the stator puts out and it's rated wattage.
There is a correlation between the voltage and the wattage but I don't know what it is other than the low wattage stators also are lower voltage.
I see the higher watt stator for the XR putting out the same as the high output B&S stators.

Send your stock stator to ricks electric for a rewind. ($225) and get the Baja designs 250w reg/rec. More juice than you'll ever need.

;-)

I got my new hand guards installed. I mean, after having installed these on 2 different bikes, and also have used the Acerbis Rally-pros in the past, I'll never pay $70+ for a set of Acerbis again. These Chinese ones were stateside, are identical to the Acerbis, and are of like quality. Only these are like $22 shipped.
IMG_20150530_191644_zpsmcabla9m.jpg

Anyone got a brake pressure switch laying around??

Do you have a link to where you got those from? Or did you post it and I missed it?

Do you have a link to where you got those from? Or did you post it and I missed it?

[ame="http://m.ebay.com/itm/381144698218?nav=SEARCH"]White Brush Hand Guards for Suzuki Dr DRZ RM RMZ Yamaha TT TTR WR YZ YZF R1 R6 | eBay[/ame]

Lots if other colors out there. Do a search for "Drz 400 hand guards"

Back