• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

It was a pleasure talking with you Shailurie! I had a great time riding with everyone, hope to bee there for next month's ride.

Riders,

The first Saturday ride is this coming Saturday, July 7th.

Reminder - the ride is never cancelled, no matter what the weather is doing.

I am hoping to be there!! Jones’en for a ride[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are going to be in Cloudcroft and perhaps do a rain dance:chug:
Actually It always seems to rain at least once while I am there, so they may be in luck. :storm:

At least we are getting out of the inferno for a few days :rider:

What's the destination for this months ride on Saturday 7/7?

FYI: every monthly route, distance, and GPS file is in the first post in this thread.

This month is the Marble Falls route and it is 98 miles long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to try and join this one. It will be my first ride with this group. Is there any dirt or gravel on this route?

The Ride with start at the usual place the corner of Hwy 12 and Hamilton Pool Rd (Hwy 3238). The route proceed out to Marble Fall and then back down 1431 to Lime Creek Rd (very nice twisty) to Captial of Texas Hwy 360 everyone will split up from there.

It does not look like there are any gravel or dirt roads on the route for July, not sure though.

Just checked it out on Google Maps and it looks like Burnham Ranch Rd/County Rd 405 is dirt and gravel.

Getting ready right now. I guess I'll see y'all in a bit. Won't mind a bit of rain on the ride, but hope there's very little lightning, or better yet, none.

Planning to leave New Braunfels by 7:30 to get there at 8:30 or shortly after and then my wife got up and we started talking. Next thing I know, it's almost 8:00. I have the bike all packed up with water and ice and everything I might need if the clouds lift and it ends up getting hot. I go to start the bike and nothing. For that last two weeks, I've been on the road (in a van) going to Ft. Sill for my son's boot camp graduation and then up to Rapid City South Dakota to help my daughter move back to Texas. Last time I rode my bike was two weeks ago with the San Antonio Dual Sport group. In the last two weeks, I left an iphone charging cable plugged into an auxiliary port. It must have drained my battery. I tried bump-starting my bike but it was no use. Ultimately, I gave up and then jumped it. So I ended up not leaving New Braunfels until 8:30 and made it to the Texaco by 9:27 but everyone had already left. I headed out on the route solo, hoping to catch up. I got to some ranch road by Marble Falls and the gate there was locked. I detoured around that and kept on the ride until the weather got really bad around Austin. I had already spent about 10 minutes basically sitting on the road in the pouring rain due to a traffic jam/wreck. I got off FM 1431 at US 183 and headed for home. Just got home at about 1:00 pm. Too bad I was late. But I still enjoyed my ride, rain and all. Just not the traffic around Austin.

It was great to meet everyone today. Being new to the area, I was hoping to meet some other riders and find some twisties and dirt. Not much luck finding dirt for me today but twisties were plentiful and I did meet some great people. Thanks for letting me tag along and thanks to Steve who found our way to that great BBQ at Cooper's. Heading to the COBDR and Shadow of the Rockies first week in August so I'll miss the next ride but already looking forward to the September one. Oh, and I did find that rain on the way back to DS. Thanks again.

Attachments

• GOPR1195_Momenta.jpg
    GOPR1195_Momenta.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 190
Nice riding with you guys today. How did the alternate return the route treat you?

It rained in me just outside Llano but was otherwise comfortable back to Cedar Park.

7e159bbcbbda5208a82b731bb488b239.jpg

e7d5153fc241332ad458748d7c4744cb.jpg

3b984de5d12daa8a13ebdd9410fe96aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great ride today. It was a pleasure meeting some new riders & experiencing a few “new to me” roads. Kudos to Steve for leading.

Got a good soaking as I left Llano, but it was probably a good thing as it both cooled things off and kept me from slipping into a “meat coma” after the BBQ from Cooper’s.

Good luck to Ben, Johnny, & others who have exciting journeys ahead. Hope to ride with y’all again on the monthly outings or another adventure further afield.

Really enjoyed the ride today. Got to ride w/ some nice folks. Really liked Old SpiceWood Rd. Never been on it before - all smiles. Always good to "break bread" w/ fellow riders at Coopers BBQ. Was hoping to hit some dirt on the way back but right when we got outside of Coopers the heavens opened up. Slabbed it back to Burnet then followed Cliff on some backroads to Oatmeal and then we hit CowCreekTrail to 1431. Got to test out the KTM 1090 in RAIN mode. It did fantastic. Also tested out my new BattleBorn gear from Rocky Mountain ATV. It kept me dry. I think it's good to ride in non-ideal situations so that you know what ur bike and gear will do when you experience this on a remote trip - like a future BDR. Looking forward to more future monthly rides and cooler weather this fall.

Planned vs. Actual for me.

Blue is today's actual route for me. 163 miles.

Attachments

• July TARA Planned vs Actual.jpg
    July TARA Planned vs Actual.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I was talking to someone today about riding adventure bikes in the sand and mentioned a youtube video I recently saw that was pretty good. Here's a link to the video: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo75lHpLBOM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo75lHpLBOM[/ame]

Steve THX for leading the ride. A+++++!!

Some pics taken :
20180707_095300-1.jpg

20180707_100341.jpg

Awesome lawn ornament! This is how to tell your HOA to shove it!
20180707_095607.jpg

Tail end of Park 4
20180707_105121.jpg

20180707_105246.jpg

95 Deg F coming into Coopers:
20180707_112911-1.jpg

an hr later, 75deg F leaving Coopers- love that TX weather:
20180707_124550-1.jpg

OMWH... took cover from that mini-monsoon
20180707_133848-1.jpg

....got milk?...(black cow on left)
20180707_135132-1.jpg

Looking forward to the next ride.:pirate:

Hi everybody I had a great time Saturday, I got a little wet on the way home myself but only lasted about 10 minutes. Sorry things were a little disjointed but it was a lot of fun next time more dirt :-) Really enjoyed meeting everyone and spending sometime with everyone a Coopers BBQ. I will be on a one month ride in August through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and possibly southern Nevada. Thanks again to everyone who came out and see everyone in September.

Also please make note to sign up for the Hill Country 500 that Richard Gibbens (forum handle "Trailboss") is organizing 11-2 thru 11-4 going to be a lot of dirt and a lot of fun!! Here is the link with all the info http://www.txadvriders.org/upcoming-events/hill-country-500/

I will sign up for the HillCountry 500 and campout both Friday and Saturday nights. Good way to test out the equipment before riding a BDR in 2019.

Riders,

The monthly ride is this coming Saturday, Aug 4th. Due to the heat, this month's ride is a short 87 miles. Details are in the first post in this thread.

See you there.

Back