TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #21
copb8
Forum Supporter

Re: Planning and Prep Tips for the next big DS Ride

I really don't have appropriate riding gear for a DS ride where conditions can vary over many days and climates. On my WR I wear MX shirts and pads and mesh overpants but stay home with the weather's not great. On the S10 I wear a 3-layer Tourmaster jacket and jeans (I know, I know...) but the jacket is bulky and heavy and obviously the jeans aren't going to work.

I want some type of shell outer layer that can be opened up for airflow and zipped up to be waterproof. I like the idea of an over-pant that can be worn over shorts in the heat and thermals in the cold. I love the Klim products but they're just too many $$$$$'s!

First, am I on track with my approach, and second, what are good alternatives y'all have found to Klim?

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
09 KTM 400 XC-W Plated (for sale)
copb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
copb8
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
There is an adapter, made by Sena that will allow you to use either of those radios as a blue tooth device with your Sena.
Yep, that's the SR10 I mentioned. We'll see how it works before I buy one as they aren't cheap either.

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
Old 12-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #23
Meriden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Do you carry both a push and a pull cable for the throttle, or does your bike have just one?
The throttle body has a return spring. I strung the cable the last time I had the bike apart simply because it would be a two hour job trail side and I have to carry it somewhere. I've heard of guys carrying a length of bicycle brake cable and making a new core with JB Weld on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
With JB weld and a wrench, something can usually be rigged if needed

Deciding how many and what kinds of spares can become a real nightmare. I have seen riders with a HUGE assortment of spare nut, bolts, washers, etc,... It does not take long for that to add up to a lot of weight and space.
Good point. Some of the big GS riders I know carry about 40 pounds of stuff in their cans all the time. It's like the kitchen junk drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
I really don't have appropriate riding gear for a DS ride where conditions can vary over many days and climates. On my WR I wear MX shirts and pads and mesh overpants but stay home with the weather's not great. On the S10 I wear a 3-layer Tourmaster jacket and jeans (I know, I know...) but the jacket is bulky and heavy and obviously the jeans aren't going to work.

I want some type of shell outer layer that can be opened up for airflow and zipped up to be waterproof. I like the idea of an over-pant that can be worn over shorts in the heat and thermals in the cold. I love the Klim products but they're just too many $$$$$'s!

First, am I on track with my approach, and second, what are good alternatives y'all have found to Klim?
The Olympia Air and a pair of Sidi Adventures have served all of my riding needs, DS and street from the teens to well over 110. They come with all the armor and an inner/outer shell. I look like a lime green space alien rather than a old guy playing Redbull MX rider. If I were riding hare and hounds or on the track investing in some competition gear would be worth it, but for DS riding most modern outerwear will work. Just don't scrimp on boots and helmet. Other than that, buy what makes you happy.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman

Last edited by Meriden; 12-31-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #24
Crew Chief

I recently bought a pair of Thor over the boot over pants. They ran about $130 from Cycle Gear. They seem pretty well made and although they say they are water resistant instead of water proof, I'm betting they won't leak much. There are a couple of vents on the legs, but they would not flow as much air as the Olympia's. The Olympias' add a liner for wet weather protection. I had a pair of the Olympia's and my wife has some now. They are nice pants but I've gotten to where I'm trying to stay away from over pants. I hope to have a pair of the Motoport jeans for this trip and would add an over pant only if the temps are low and it's wet. Tossinglead has some similar MSR's that he liked that were about the same price.

I ride in regular jeans more than I should and you will see pictures in ride reports of guys doing it and maybe adding a pair of shin and knee guards over them. I really like jeans in warmer weather, but if you are trying to pack light and are doing outdoor activities where you might get wet, they are not a good deal. They have no insulating value when wet and are very slow to dry once soaked. In the ride reports you'll see a lot of guys wearing the synthetic tactical style of pant and a lot of them have the zip off legs so they can become shorts. They pack small and dry quickly. Pretty much everything I pack will be a quick drying synthetic.
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #25
copb8
Forum Supporter

I have a pair of StyleMartin riding boots with ankle pads and reinforced toe boxes that I use for mostly street riding and gravel. Comfortable to wear on and off the bike. I also have a pair of AlpineStar Toucan GTX boots I use in the woods. Far better protection but a little like walking in skiboots when off the bike.

I was waffling on which pair I should use for the MX trip. I get the impression the dirt portions aren't going to be very technical.

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
Old 12-31-2015, 02:07 PM   #26
hizzo3

I try to pick items that cover multiple uses. I have a soldering iron that doubles as a torch and lighter.
Hammocks pack small if you don't need a thick rain fly or bug net.
Zipties are worth their weight in gold. So it a small bit of safety wire.
I'm still trying to move to one type of battery for all my lights. I may give up and find a small portable charger.
A proper tool kit is a worth its weight in gold. Leave the mfg one at home. Learn how to do a tire change using just 3 spoons (motion pro makes a good set in Al) and a bead breaker.

Sent from my unbreakable Droid Turbo 2

DL1000K6, VN750A20
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #27
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

For a camp light I just use an Energizer brand head light that straps to my fat head. Leaves the hands free with light right where I need it. Mine even has the red light, which is nice for nighttime potty trips without lighting up the whole place and destroying my night vision. I've had it for years and have yet to need to change the batteries.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote