• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Very newbie rider...

Tim, your pic of teh 748 is exactly what I'm getting at.

The footpegs may be directly below the butt, but since the torso is canted so far forward, imagine the weight distribution when the rider tries to stand up a little, say, to negotiate a pothole, railroad tracks, etc. Because the torso is farther forward, the rider's weight will shift forward too, onto the bars rather than straight up and down. A torso, straight up and down (almost) is more desirable for street riding. Racing is different, riders are laying on the tank and sliding their butt sideways. We're talking about a beginner rider here.

Now, with the extra weight on the bars, what if she puts more weight on one side than the other? Some less experienced riders also tend to ride stiff armed on such a bike. I've found that front end wobble and tankslappers happen not only because of poor suspension set up but due to excess weight on the bars. Excess weight meaning excessive steering input. The bar's main purpose is for steering, not supporting rider weight.

An upright, nuetral riding position is ideal for a novice. They can concentrate on riding as opposed to moving their body around and possibly feeling unbalanced.

Yes, I'll agree, the 748 steers quite easily....to the right rider...especially when body position, peg weighting and bike lean is appropriate to the manuever. I'm actually quite fond of the handling of the 748, especially compared to that sexier 916 I used to have.

BTW, why the comment on racing a cruiser? Pretty obvious. However, I did race Sportster class along with heavyweight sportsman once upon a time. Even the 600cc blood bath participants liked to watch that.

It's been brought up in other thread's, but i didn't see it in this one yet... why not start on a TW200? They're cheap, reliable, and easy to ride (where i took the MSF course, i think they even had one for people who were planning on getting a DS bike)... not to mention they're a fun bike to have around even after you get used to riding and move on to something more ticket-prone.

TW200s are a hoot. I had one a long time ago. Last MSF class I taught, I opened the sea-can we keep the bikes in and found the TW200s missing. The only bike in the class I can fit on well. I still haven't heard about where they went.

Where did you teach? I see you're in tomball, was wondering if it's at awesome cycles... took the class there and had a blast!

First: Welcome aboard!! Second: I agree with most, you need a SMALLER MORE EASILY MANEUVERED BIKE!! With shift on left. then practice, practice, practice!!! Keep DUC for later when your skills match it!
Keep the shiny side up,
Wally(07 RED BANDIT)

TW200s are a hoot. I had one a long time ago. Last MSF class I taught, I opened the sea-can we keep the bikes in and found the TW200s missing. The only bike in the class I can fit on well. I still haven't heard about where they went.

I bet most readers here have no idea what a TW200 is. I do, and in fact wish my BW200 were a TW200. The BW200 came first. It was conceived as an all-out dirt (spell that MUD) bike. It was not street legal. When so many people, like me, started riding them on mountain trails, they quickly wished for "street legality" in order to ride them to various trail heads. ENTER Yamaha's smart product planners, who quickly made some key modifications to the BW200, like larger diameter but not-so-fat tires, added brake lights and turn signals, and voila, the TW200 was born. It is a great entry-level cycle, which is exactly why MSF groups around the country quickly latched on to them.

I am going to take the liberty here, to post a couple of pics of me with my BW200. It is a 1986 model, with electric start, and it still is a honey! It is the penultimate rock swallower and mudder!

2d2dfsh.jpg

This second pic shows me with my nephew who was riding his father's (my brother's) BW 200 at Fort Hood, pre 9-11.
mb5z6r.jpg

I actually learned on a Big Wheel. I think I remember seeing them badged as a Fat Cat too. Could be another company tho. Hard to remember back to 1985 and I wasn't moorsickle savvy anyway at 16.

HI, out there.

I'd like to introduce myself as a very wet behind the ears rider frustrated already by the little experience I have.

I bought a Ducati 748 thinking this would be a great motorcycle to learn on. Not to mention the reverse shifting and grabby clutch adding to the challenge of this wench's ego.

As fate would have it, I've been down a few times (all at low speed) and I'm getting anxiety every time I hop on the Duc-which is seldom now.

Does anyone know of a better bike I should be using and what I might be doing wrong? I've heard this bike is hard to learn on. In truth, my friends and boyfriend who have ridden it, gripe and moan about how uncomfy it is and hard to handle at low speed...

What did you learn on and where in the Austin area would be a great place to practice riding??

:rolleyes:
i don't buy it

I actually learned on a Big Wheel. I think I remember seeing them badged as a Fat Cat too. Could be another company tho. Hard to remember back to 1985 and I wasn't moorsickle savvy anyway at 16.

You do remember this bike correctly as a Fat Cat, but it was a Honda, marketed as a competitor to Yamaha's Big Wheel. I found this pic of one on the Net. I do remember seeing them on display in the Honda dealerships, but frankly, I never saw one on any trail I was on. Here is a pic of the Fat Cat:

1zdqlco.jpg

Since someone already mentioned a Suzuki GS500 (thanks wonder91178) I'll throw out a shameless plug for the sale of mine:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26205

GS500 are lightweight They have a fairly short seat height which can be lowered more with a few part changes. There is no "plastic" to which damages easily in case it is dropped. I've added a clear "F15" windscreen which makes this bike a lot easier to ride at highway speeds.

Back