• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AR-OK 2018 DS Ride

JoToPe

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Emerson
I met dualsportrider at the QT off I-35W & 114 in Roanoke on 5/10 around 0700. We rode to Dennison to meet Jampad at Nick's Family Restaurant in Denison around 0830. I was riding my '09 KLR, dualsportrider was on his F800GS, and Jampad pulled up on a new Husky 701. We were packed for a week's riding the eastern OAT, some of the TAT and take in the scenic spring Arkansas countryside.

Once into OK, we pulled over for some pictures of an iron bridge over the Blue River. Check out my SmugMug album.
https://richemerson.smugmug.com/AR-OK-2018/i-3PpSq9Q

Last edited:
Jampad put together some GPS tracks and dualsportrider led the way. We were soon in Beavers Bend and had lunch in Hochatown at the Blue Rooster. Good food served on disposable dinnerware. Next door is a kitschy place, or maybe not if you like a bunch of knick-knacky things. Afterward, we staked out a campsite at Hochatown State Park complete with a campfire and resident deer. As I was performing some duct tape repair, our neighbor camper offered up his string of Christmas lights on an extension cord to light the place up.

Last edited:
The morning broke with stillness in the air. After some coffee and a breakfast bar, then it was time to pack and get on the road. Plans were already changing. Since I rode sweep and didn't have the GPS tracks that dualsportrider had, I just let it all happen without a care. I know I'm in good hands with these guys. As it happens, the section of the OAT we ended up on was about 30 miles of some of the gnarliest, rocky, switchback riding I've done since the NMBDR off track where a water pump got taken out. We all bounced up and down that trail, bottoming forks, smashing skid plates and having the rear end kick up like a pissed off mule. But it was fun! Although there were some close calls, nobody went down and we all made it out alive.

Last edited:
Nice photos, makes me miss Arkansas for sure. I really like the paint scheme on the KLR.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks Rich, Great pics, keep the story coming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back