• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Spicewood

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
Greetings all...

I’m a noob. Well, I rode way back in the early 80’s but that doesn’t count.

Started out this year with the 2 day MSU course. Bought a Yamaha Vstar 650 and put a few thousand mile on that before jumping up to a 2014 Tenere.

Rode the Old Ore Rd in Big Bend this year and loved it. Took my first spill there and fractured a few ribs, scraped up the bike a little. But I road back home to Spicewood. Waiting for next go-round in 2019.

Still tweaking out the bike. Engine guards are next, handle bar stands, and some better adventure gear. Also plan to get camping gear but that’s a little further down the want list.

I’m married, have three adults boys that still consume resources, one of them is finishing up high school

Looking forward to The Hill Country 500 and other opportunities to better my skills. As well as other events with the group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from just up the road. We do a little camping around here. What did you ride back in the 80's? We have a cheap camping thread on TWT that might give you some good ideas for gear.

My first bike was a Honda CB450. Drive that till the bottom end blew out. Moved to a 125 Yamaha dirt bike.

I’ll look for the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! :wave:

:tab Nothing beats a smaller bike for learning adventure/dirt skills. I started years ago on a BMW 1150 GS and learned that lesson via the school of hard knocks :flip: :-P Many of us eventually wind up with our big adventure bike and a smaller bike for the more technical stuff. I eventually got a KLR 650, thinking that was a "small" bike :lol2: After a few years of that, I moved to a KTM 530 EXC, which is still not a small bike, but it is WAY lighter than a KLR and MUCH easier to pick up when I go down. I told my wife I needed it so I wouldn't fall down as often and would get hurt less, so it was "cheaper" to buy the more expensive bike compared to constantly repairing the other bike and paying medical bills :mrgreen: She saw through that in a heart beat but said get it anyway :trust: It really helped me improve my riding skills and made me MUCH better at riding my big bike (now a 1200 GS).

Back