• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Texas Hill Country 500 - Nov 2-4, 2018

They do! But Danny and Richard are phenomenal riders! Don't know their third, but he was riding a Beta 500 I think, which is pretty pro. Specially for a schmo like me on a KLR!

They do! But Danny and Richard are phenomenal riders! Don't know their third, but he was riding a Beta 500 I think, which is pretty pro. Specially for a schmo like me on a KLR!
I noticed the beta. I've only seen fast/great riders on betas

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My plan for any ride that Keith shows up to is "Keep up with Keith" :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My plan when riding with Keith is to volunteer to lead the ride, then try like **** to stay in front of him, cause once he passes me, all i see is dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plan when riding with Keith is to volunteer to lead the ride, then try like **** to stay in front of him, cause once he passes me, all i see is dust.

The problem with that is he already knows the routes, so even if you are leading the ride, the only reason he has to follow you is to be polite :) Thankfully, he's very polite.

Last edited:
I'll be planning on this next year

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well you guys are still on the trail today, but I wanted to take a moment to say a huge thank you to two guys who I can’t remember their names now who showed up in J.C. about 9:00am and made mistake to ask if I needed any help, boy did I put them to work. Then a special thanks to Elio (spelling?) who provided so much help both setting up Friday but outdid himself on Saturday morning helping to pick up and put up. Couldn’t have done it without you and many others that helped throughout the event!

If you are returning to J.C. to get your vehicle or who may have left some gear behind. I put a combination lock on barn 2 so you can get your stuff even though we are not there to greet you. Please call or text me to get the combo, I already gave it to a couple of guys.

To the guy with the camo jacket in the new barn, I moved it to the old bar with the combination lock, just reach out to me and I will get you in. My cell is 512. Four zero six 1796

Thank you one and all for attending, this was our first ever event of this scale and I will make a few improvements for next year. Hope everyone had fun and returns safe

Lastly, there are some tires on the covered area, please feel free to take any you would like.

Sincerely, Mike and Mary!

Anytime! Had a great time! Than you!

Maybe next year Elio will actually ride...

:-P

:rider:

It was nice to have cold beers waiting at the finish line, though :)

Last edited:
Maybe next year Elio will actually ride...

:-P

:rider:

It was nice to have cold beers waiting at the finish line, though :)

Must admit I am kicking my self in the butt for not making it to Junction on Saturday night to make the Sunday ride. The water crossings look like some really fun challenges and I regret not going :(

**** YEAH! Thanks for having everyone out at your place on Friday! It was fun to ride that little trails bike around too. Lost my license plate off of the WR somewhere (maybe jumping off that log?) so if anyone happened to find one... Wish I could have joined everyone on Saturday, but that’s how it goes.

Here is the combined video. It is long but I wanted to use as much media as you all posted.

Click the youtube icon to watch at 720p if you want the 1080p version just pm me with your google drive email address and I will share it. It is almost 700 meg.

https://youtu.be/ezRxu7Vr7ZU

I need to add that I did not go around or over any posted barricades in the making of this video. As I am told the signs were on the side of the road an only used for the photo op. :)

Awesome video, thanks for putting it together. And fantastic ending shot

I haven't posted here yet, but I had the most fun attending this event. It was the most intense adventure that I've had in a long time. It was definitely the most intense on the bike *ever*. I think I've used the words "amazing" and "incredible" over and over when I describe it. It was just excellent!

Unfortunately, I'm not very good with names, so I've forgotten many of the names of the riders that I met.

Huge thanks to Mike and Mary for welcoming us to their property! Friday night was just great with excellent food and very nice amenities. The multiple fire pits were and stargazing were also very nice. I miss the dark sky (I'm from McKinney, TX - we have to ride about an hour to see stars).

I rode with a great group on Saturday and ended up leading even though I am definitely not the best navigator. I think I even earned the Scout Award for being willing to wade out into the first scary-looking water crossing...that ended up being 3 inches deep! :rofl:

I did have a "get off" at 25 mph in deep sand and tore the luggage straps off my Nelson Riggs dry bags. There was no damage to me, my bike or the luggage itself, so that was good. Someone gave me a pair of Rok straps to help me tie one of my saddlebags to my seat. I'd like to know who you are so I can send you some new RokStraps via Amazon. ;-)

On Sunday, I was in a different group. We started with 5 and ended up with just 3 of us, with Harold and Laney (sp) and me. We rode some *very* challenging dirt roads and I lost count of the number of times the deep sand took me and my VStrom down.

We did have the only serious injury on that ride, with Roberto (Rob) breaking his fibula when he crashed into a cattleguard. Fortunately, his Honda NC700X was rideable. He trailered it to Johnson City, so I presume he was able to drive his car back home.

Does anyone have a report on his condition?

When it was down to just 3 of us, we crossed a washed out cattleguard that was one of the more challenging obstacles. There were also a number of mud/water crossing that needed scouting/wading to find the best line. And other "plain" water crossings that we took on the fly. We avoided the worst water crossing that other groups experienced. We just ran out of daylight on Sunday.

I rode was able to buy some bungees at the Ace Hardware in Johnson City and strap my saddle bags to the side of my bike. I then ate a delicious burger at Pecan Street Brewery in JC and rode the 60 miles to Enchanted Rock Natural Area. I set the tent up in the dark and hung out with some friendly campers 'til late at night and got some good sleep.

I hiked the granite dome in the morning and strapped everything back on the bike and headed the 260 miles home. I rode straight through, only stopping when necessary. (I decided to skip a full lunch as I was just ready to get home!)

All in all, this was a most excellent adventure! I am definitely planning on attending the event next year!

Last edited:
I had a fantastic time.
Thanks Mike and Mary you all are the best. Beautiful ranch, great food, good friends.
Who could ask for more.
Thanks to Thomas for leading Saturday and thanks to Richard for leading Sunday.
Beats any roads in Houston hands down.
Ride safe.

You're quite welcome. I also appreciate rider #2 and #3 who also had the routes and reminded me when I took a wrong turn! :clap:

Do you happen to know the name of the guy that gave me a pair of Rok Straps so I could strap my saddle bag back on my bike? I'd like to send him a couple from Amazon.

Great route, weather, and folks! Lots of fun and good memories.
dff62d073141f2debc11b2a55ea579df.jpg
934d2a0aa0f7a768cfc09a44198fae84.jpg
9d25881f08aa0f5a7b67893bf7a4c14c.jpg
f0310c0a77ef4012069cb1c3ebf8e37e.jpg
fbbd61c5c349e79f1af6b3475d43b868.jpg
b73c538360116bbc8f68e3f1b905f49f.jpg
2fc7abf9965c603bdc4f63563a425a35.jpg
e8e54068f74e56e16851fc2930c70280.jpg
ce43e181005a9831428721cf3961c5e6.jpg
97a6ac77d3e739c0663f92f259552534.jpg
aeed1b3b63b29449e16357d4e88d385b.jpg
b02be03d6fe3f607071e40e7be4ba494.jpg

In this picture, I'm guessing this is slick rock?

Attachments

• ce43e181005a9831428721cf3961c5e6.jpg
    ce43e181005a9831428721cf3961c5e6.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 265
So many standing around made me think something much be hard about it?

Back