• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What To Do? A KLR Quandary.

I'd been advised that the 685cc kit was a good cure for the oil burning, of which mine is very guilty on long sustained runs.

I think the consensus is the the 685 is the best known cure for an oil burner. The additional 5 hp that comes with a 685 kit is a nice bonus. If you've got an oil burner and are going to keep it, then I recommend a 685 kit.

I'd been advised that the 685cc kit was a good cure for the oil burning, of which mine is very guilty on long sustained runs.

Yup! I did mine after a trip to Colorado last year where I burned 1 qt in 1,000 miles. It was bad enough that my buddy riding behind me said he could smell the burning oil. I purchased the kit, sent the cylinder and the piston for boring and honing, followed the installation instruction. Now, I have ridden over a thousand miles on this last oil change and it hasn't burnt a drop.

I've kept good records on the KLR costs and it cost me exactly $453.08 for the kit and the honing. This does not include the of couple weeks of work I did in changing it out.

By the way, you won't really notice the extra power, but what you will notice is how SMOOOOOTH the new/lighter piston makes the engine.

:tab Don't anyone tell Gregory Frazier that the KLR is not a long distance touring bike... I think he has done FIVE circumnavigations of the planet on KLRs :eek:

Yes, and many folks have done such trips on GS650's...a real popular brand for such journeys, and the famous guy on Advrider.com who did several such trips on an Indian and now a Harley Davidson. The DR650 has been of the best budget thumpers to date with a superb track record, that does not burn oil and is better build quality than a KLR. Troy seems to like his.

But for the globe trotting records, I think it is some guy on an Goldwing. I think Phillip should either sell his KLR and get a lighter bike w/trailer or trade up for a 800GS that is vastly superior on the highway and just as good in the dirt as the KLR. It would not hurt to develop better dual-sport riding skills before $crashing$ the 800GS.

RB

By the way, you won't really notice the extra power, but what you will notice is how SMOOOOOTH the new/lighter piston makes the engine.
I'm halfway through my break in period and I can't believe how smooth and quiet it is now.

It would not hurt to develop better dual-sport riding skills before $crashing$ the 800GS.

RB

:tab That is the great thing about the KLR/DR 650s. They are very inexpensive relative to just about anything else!! If I were to TOTALLY destroy my KLR... well... no big deal :shrug: I'd just go get another. That is just not the case for most folks when it comes to things like the BMWs and KTMs. When I flipped the GS and then followed up with a nasty high side a few days later, the bike was basically fine mechanically. I even rode it another 300 miles the next day and then for a month or two before repairing what was basically cosmetic damage. The insurance cut me a check for nearly $7K!!! :eek2: That is when I realized that I could have two very nicely setup KLRs for just the repair cost on the GS! At that point, I decided to keep the GS as a street bike and use the KLR for the rough playing. Not as macho, but so what...

Scotts post above is why I would never buy a BMW F800.

Too much $$$ and too pretty to smash off-road

Like he said, take a baseball bat to the KLR or drown it in the James River Crossing.

Not the big deal that bending an F800 would be.

The right set of tires and better off-road skills (which I do not have) are usually the 90% solution.

Scotts post above is why I would never buy a BMW F800.

Too much $$$ and too pretty to smash off-road

Like he said, take a baseball bat to the KLR or drown it in the James River Crossing.

Not the big deal that bending an F800 would be.

The right set of tires and better off-road skills (which I do not have) are usually the 90% solution.

Yea, you've sort of convinced me of the two bike route as being the way to go. One for eating miles, loaded up and capable of most everything. The other for short runs, rough-stuff and disposable for the most part.

Yea, you've sort of convinced me of the two bike route as being the way to go. One for eating miles, loaded up and capable of most everything. The other for short runs, rough-stuff and disposable for the most part.

Mr. Hammer smacks Mr. Nail on his head. :chug:

So... does this mean you will be joining us at some of the dual sport rides? :-P

Wait till I get a hold of you. You'll be adding a bike to the mix. My long trip bike, short trip/dual sport/cheap bike, and my off-road bike.:trust:

When I flipped the GS and then followed up with a nasty high side a few days later, the bike was basically fine mechanically. I even rode it another 300 miles the next day and then for a month or two before repairing what was basically cosmetic damage. The insurance cut me a check for nearly $7K!!! :eek2: That is when I realized that I could have two very nicely setup KLRs for just the repair cost on the GS! At that point, I decided to keep the GS as a street bike and use the KLR for the rough playing. Not as macho, but so what...

P90069261.jpg

f800gs-950x633.jpg

For the 1200GS I can see the merits of it being relegated to the tarmac. The 800GS is a totally different bike, much lighter around 420 pounds and built to take a good degree of punishment after you add the crash bars etc. It is a delight to ride on highway as well. The compact 85-horsepower parallel twin engine is an added plus....I think this bike is well positioned as a quality middleweight dual-sport "enduro" for those wanting more road versatility.

True, if you plan to severely crash the bike often, it would be much cheaper to repair a KLR....just don't crash so much....just dial back the dual-sport aggression a little. At least for me, I don't bounce back as when I use to be in my 20s.

:rider:

RB

The 800GS is a totally different bike, much lighter around 420 pounds and built to take a good degree of punishment after you add the crash bars etc.

RB

Motorcycle Consumer News reports that the true, ready-to-ride weight of the F800GS is 490.5 lbs.

Motorcycle Consumer News reports that the true, ready-to-ride weight of the F800GS is 490.5 lbs.

WebBikeWorld says:

The dry weight is at 185kg or 407lbs, while its real-life weight is measured at 210kg or 462lbs.

Well, I have to say the 800GS carries it's weight pretty well. The 82 HP makes a huge difference in being able to power through the sand and rock compared to the KLR - more favorable power to weight ratio and superior suspension.

Of course, if all you're doing is single-tracks and really tough class 3, then the true dirt bikes will much more satisfying and less painful too.

:lol2:

RB

Red, I take it you currently have an F800 and had a KLR before that?

Red, I take it you currently have an F800 and had a KLR before that?

No, not quite...I have the 650GS which is a little over 400 pounds. I had a KLR when I first started riding about six years ago. I enjoyed it..but eventually traded up for a WR which was much more sufficient for my needs at the time. I sold the WR with almost 9K on the clock. I do miss it, but for average central Texas dual-sport riding, the 650GS is more versatile, especially long-hours on the tarmac getting to and from the local dual-sport roads....

When the 800GS came out it was replete with many recalls. The new 800GS seem to be much better in terms of first generation issues BMW is known for. Also the rear shock mount is quite week on the 800GS and several have reported bent shock mounts as a result. Some dude sells and aftermarket kit that strengthens the 800GS design flaw in the shock mounting system.

I have test ridden the 800GS.

RB

The dry weight is at 185kg or 407lbs, while its real-life weight is measured at 210kg or 462lbs.
RB

That's very interesting. I just double-checked the Aug 2011 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) where they compared the 800GS to the Tiger 800XC. They reported wet weights of 489 and 503 respectively. MCN weighs every bike they test in a ready-to-ride state because the manufacturers are notorious for lying about the true weight of motorcycles.

There is a 27 lb difference between what MCN reports and what WebBikeWorld reports - and 27 lbs is a pretty big difference. Perhaps the difference is found in the amount of fuel in the bike when measured.

As a point of comparison MCN reports 409 lbs for first generation model KLR and 428 lbs for the 2nd gen version.

http://texasadventure.net/bikes-and-gear/dual-sport-adventure-motorcycles

There is a 27 lb difference between what MCN reports and what WebBikeWorld reports - and 27 lbs is a pretty big difference. Perhaps the difference is found in the amount of fuel in the bike when measured.

As a point of comparison MCN reports 409 lbs for first generation model KLR and 428 lbs for the 2nd gen version.

http://texasadventure.net/bikes-and-gear/dual-sport-adventure-motorcycles

MCL weight calculation seem to fluctuate a bit especially when they are stepping on each other's toes and trying to have the marketing upper hand. :)

When fully loaded, farkled ready for class 1-2 roads and general light touring duty, the little extra weight won't matter much. I think also having a better power to weight ratio is more desirable than a slightly lesser weight and a noticeable less power to weight ratio.

Let's not forget the pleasures of fuel injection.

:sun:

As for Phillip's quandary, I think his second generation would be better sold and as an alternative acquiring the 800GS for better off-road riding performance and extended highway duty. Of course, if he decides to exclusively trailer, then lower cc thumper would be a more suitable choice. If Phillip is under a very tight budget, then a first generation KLR with perhaps a 690 cc engine mod etc. would be a prudent alternative.

RB

Red Brown;985788When fully loaded said:
more desirable[/B] than a slightly lesser weight and a noticeable less power to weight ratio.

RB

Please don't take my earlier posts the wrong way - I agree with what you've said here. I just thought readers would benefit from knowing that the 800GS is 50-80 lbs heavier than a KLR (depending on which KLR you are comparing it to and which reported 800GS weight you choose to use).

Last edited:
Please don't take my earlier posts the wrong way - I agree with what you've said here. I just thought readers would benefit from knowing that the 800GS is 50-80 lbs heavier than a KLR (depending on which KLR you are comparing it to and which reported 800GS weight you choose to you).

Yes, I was working from Phillip's plight regarding his second generation which is indeed as you mentioned heavier than the previous version. As you know the consideration for selecting the proper dual-sport bike - one that will get both extended off-road and road use - requires more than just considering mere weight as a deciding factor.

For me, the power to weight ratio is important, especially in terms of being able to off-set the extra weight the bike might have. The Dakar KTM 900 cc series bike did quite well in really severe terrain. :trust:

Lookin' forward to more Texas Adventure sponsored events.

:clap:

RB

Red,

I agree with you. I would also add that suspension has a big impact on performance. It seems to me that the better suspension on the 800GS or the KTM 950/990 series plus the better power-to-weight ratio of those bikes go a long way toward negating their significantly heavier overall weight.

Red,

I agree with you. I would also add that suspension has a big impact on performance. It seems to me that the better suspension on the 800GS or the KTM 950/990 series plus the better power-to-weight ratio of those bikes go a long way toward negating their significantly heavier overall weight.

...o yea...integrated high-end suspension with a steering damper makes a profound difference, especially on those bumpy roads. That is one of strong points about the KTM line.

RB

Hmmm, if you guys that say more power to weight ratio is always a good thing no matter what, I will let you ride my YZ. At 210lbs and 47hp it will wear you out in a few miles just trying to contain it.

For me there is a good balance and the KLR isn't too bad for stuff like what you find in Big Bend. Granted I grew up riding big, overweight thumpers so riding a KLR is second nature. For newbies to dirt or offroad it may not be the right thing. But I can also say with really good certainty that a 990 Adventure is also not the right thing. Tons of power, and a lot of weight to muscle around isn't really a good thing unless you know what you are doing. David (Cagiva) makes it look easy because he is one heck of a talented rider.

No, not quite...I have the 650GS which is a little over 400 pounds. I had a KLR when I first started riding about six years ago. I enjoyed it..but eventually traded up for a WR which was much more sufficient for my needs at the time. I sold the WR with almost 9K on the clock. I do miss it, but for average central Texas dual-sport riding, the 650GS is more versatile, especially long-hours on the tarmac getting to and from the local dual-sport roads....

When the 800GS came out it was replete with many recalls. The new 800GS seem to be much better in terms of first generation issues BMW is known for. Also the rear shock mount is quite week on the 800GS and several have reported bent shock mounts as a result. Some dude sells and aftermarket kit that strengthens the 800GS design flaw in the shock mounting system.

I have test ridden the 800GS.

RB
So I must ask.. if you only have a test ride under you on the 800, how do you know the extra power makes it easier to power through rocks and sand? I'm really not trying to be argumentative here, but genuinely curious. As having ridden offroad most of my life on quite a sampling of bikes from really low power to HP fireballs, after X amount of power you really don't need anymore to "power through" sand. And having taken the KLR through quite a bit of it, the only thing I am wishing for is lighter weight. I've never found myself in deep sand wishing for more power because I've got it rung out and it just won't go anymore.

The lighter weight thing I wish for almost every time though. And it isn't a power to weight ratio, it is just a weight issue. And if we want to go into the rocks, you really need even less power than the sand because going wide open even on a pig like the KLR in loose rocks just makes a mess and gets the back wheel dancing about.

Again, not trying to argue but just trying to figure out what I've been missing all these years by not buying into what I consider manufacturers hype.

Well, I have to say the 800GS carries it's weight pretty well. The 82 HP makes a huge difference in being able to power through the sand and rock compared to the KLR - more favorable power to weight ratio and superior suspension.

hmmm

touring
track racing
canyon carving
day rides
commuting
adventure touring
dual sport
trail riding
cross country racing
motocross

sound like you know the KLR as good as anybody, get a KTM 500 exc and a trailer

Here's what I like about my KLR:
- low seat hight (I have a 30" inseam)
- somewhat lightweight (I'm 165lbs)
- nice off road manners
- cheap, reliable & easy to maintain

Don't think I EVER heard the KLR described as "light weight". It has GOT to be the heaviest DP bike EVER sold. I guess that's a relative thing if you think a BMW GS is a DP bike. :rolleyes: I don't delude myself that the KLR is a great dirt bike. No, a CRF450F is a decent dirt bike, but I can't ride a CRF450F 300 miles on the highway. Even a XR650L can't lay claim to the KLR's comfort on the highway. The KLR is a comfy dual sport. As an adventure tourer, it's light and underpowered, but not as a dual sport. As a dual sport, it's heavy, it's a pig, but it does have it's uses both on and off the pavement. It ain't a cow trailer, though. But, ridden well, it can go off road so long as it don't get ridiculous. :mrgreen: The roads in Big Bend I've done on a R5 Yamaha street bike. That's not tough off roading IMHO. That is well within the KLR's capabilities.

Back