• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Teknic Womens Venom Pants - Leather (on sale $80)

Kat013

Reaction score
First Name
Kat
My summer pants are falling apart at the seams, so I got these from Motorcycle Closeouts for $80 shipped. They normally go for $200+. I think Teknic is going out of business if they're not gone already, hence the deep discount. In addition to the sale, the other reason I jumped on these is because my measurements matched exactly what was in their size chart as an 8 (except for my inseam being a few inches longer, which is par for the course for me). It is really rare for my hip and waist measurements to both match or be very similar to a size chart, so I figured these pants had to fit. They do - sort of.

These pants are crazy-stiff and really hard to get in and out of - they also fit tighter than ordinary street pants. This may be obvious to some from the look of the pants - they're obviously race pants as they accept knee sliders, but I had no idea they'd fit that tight nor be that stiff. OTOH, they aren't made of crappy soft garment leather that will rip or dissolve the first time asphalt looks at it funny.

The knee armour is not height adjustable, which is a big problem for me, because with my longer legs, when I move into sitting on the bike, the distance from hips to knees in the pants is too short - the knee armour is too high - and these pants are contoured for riding position, so there's no room for the pants to slide up as I bend my knees. The knee armour pockets are made of an additional layer of leather, as opposed to the lining material that is typical.

If I remove the knee armour, riding position is more comfortable (and the armour pockets are obviously too high), but something still feels wrong. The pants have zippers in the legs that don't even reach the knees - they fit very tight around the calves, and this is with me on low side of normal weight for my height. If I unzip the calf zippers, finally the pants can ride up enough that I don't feel like my kneecaps are being compressed when I sit down.

The other sizing problem is the waist. Despite matching my waist measurement exactly, when I sit down, there is a 4" gap between my spine and the rear waistband. When I stand up it's okay. There is some elastic in the waist, and a single velcro strap adjustment (gives you about 1.5" max of adjustment) that I snugged all the way down, but still gapping. I should at least give them points for making high-rise pants - all of Fly's women's pants, for example, "sit on the hip." Like the skin between our hips and our waist is magically not in need of abrasion protection. :rolleyes:

The leather is not perforated, but there are stretch panels of some kind of synth material in the crotch and behind the knees. I can only hope that these breathe somewhat, or that the leather is very resistant to being sweated in - I ride even when it's 110F out. They are lined with that soft liner material that's very common in sportswear of any type - the kind that's got a bunch of holes in it.

Since it would cost me $30 to send these back for a refund (original shipping is not refunded, return shipping is not refunded, plus $10 restocking fee), and since I can do some leathercrafting, I'm going to keep these pants and mod them. Probably put some darts in the calves to embiggen them, and sew armour pockets to the outsides of the knees where I actually need them. Then somehow add more elastic to the waistband.

Back