• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop, Tx Trail Ride 1/22/11

This looked funnier in real life...
0409111037a.jpg

Re: Bastrop, TX Trail Ride 1/22/11

We 3 worked up a good sweat, especially fixing my flat rear tire out in the sun, good thing Joel brought the rubber cement, saved the day. The pine shade was nice when we were in it.

April2011rideA.jpg

So Jake I missed all that fun? I missed that hill in the background of the first shot for sure.

Hopefully next week, I probably need to slime my tires, huh?

Phil

Man, I was with KLR Junkie right up to the tree. Good momentum, everything it takes. No matter how many times you climb that hill it always has a surprise for you. Sorry I missed you guys today. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten algae on my bark busters (long story.) I'm looking forward to seeing that husky up close.

Tricky little patch of ground ain't it? :giveup:

Nice video...thanks.

Hey, I made it up that hill before the camera came out. Joel introduced me to it about 3 minutes after meeting him. I think he has a dark side. :evil:

well i managed to sneak out here for a couple of hours today, nice loose hill climbs all over the place. dont think i found the "s" hill climb you all talk about, the ktm ate all the other hills up. had a lot of fun :flip:

Jason how is the bike running??? We need pictures.

its running great! i swapped out needles and changed clip position in the carb and now the choke has an effect. i didnt bother with any photos out there because just about everyone has seen the area now.

the KTM made the whole area a walk in the park, i went from checking the area out in 1st and 2nd gear to scooting around in 3rd and 4th and letting the suspension do its thing. got really loose a bunch of times but it just eats it up. i dont think i will ever own another bike without doing the suspension first thing like i did with this. i am at 14-48 gearing and it still seems high to me, going to try a 52 next.

its running great! i swapped out needles and changed clip position in the carb and now the choke has an effect. i didnt bother with any photos out there because just about everyone has seen the area now.

the KTM made the whole area a walk in the park, i went from checking the area out in 1st and 2nd gear to scooting around in 3rd and 4th and letting the suspension do its thing. got really loose a bunch of times but it just eats it up. i dont think i will ever own another bike without doing the suspension first thing like i did with this. i am at 14-48 gearing and it still seems high to me, going to try a 52 next.

Excellent! Did your route include highway? If you weren't pinned at 65 - 70, you could probably sneak a 52 on there...

my route included putting it in the back of my truck and driving to the soccer field around the corner from the area and unloading :)

Joel and I rode the Bastrop trails for a while last Saturday. I wanted to post his pic for Mudclod.
The first time we rode here, this hole was so deep, that when Mudclod rode into it, the water was deep enough to demonstrate why the KLR carb vent mod is a necessity. When the water reached his carb vent, the carb starved for fuel and the engine stalled and would not restart till he and _RG_ pulled the bike out by hand. Now we can see how deep it really is. :mrgreen:

CIMG0212-XL.jpg

a little later we ran up against a tree downed across the trail.

CIMG0214-XL.jpg

As usual we were too stubborn to turn around so we found a path around. I tried to follow Joel through the trees with the camera.

Joel did a better job following with the camera than I did.

Another great day riding trails 20 miles from home, thanks Joel! :chug:

Ha! Thanks for reminding me, JT. Yes thats the exact same spot your bike was in. I'll never forget the realization that I was was gonna have to step off in that ice covered muck to push my KLR! I'm forever in debt to RG. Glad ya'll had fun. Will

Cool vids JT, looks like Joel and Meriden have the trails on next Saturday's itinerary. You gonna join us?

I'd like to, but already had planned to do the Milam County tour Saturday.

Back