• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Austin, TX

atxklr

Reaction score
Hi all, been lurking for a few weeks, love the site! I'm planning my first big adventure trip in a couple months to Big Bend National Park. I'll be riding my 2015 KLR650 up there along w/ some buddies travelling by car.

We're actually going to camp for about 3-4 nights in the backcountry, and setup ham radio operations somewhere.

Wanted to see if anyone had any tips for a first time adventure trip. I've been working on getting my bike ready for the trip, breaking it in properly, currently @ 600 miles. I've added a Thermo-Bob 2, KLRDash & Double Bubble, SW motech crash bars & skid plate, & a small tail bag. I've got 2 months to prepare. Wanted to possibly add some panniers, but not really sure which route to go, I've seen the ammo can route, the tusks, the Kawasaki ones, and even just fabric bags hanging over the sides, definitely want to keep it budget friendly.

Any suggestions on Big Bend, getting the bike ready, or whatever are most welcome!

7fZVR5g.jpg

TrHKX1F.jpg

CTQsrpm.jpg

Thanks for this forum...

atxklr
OEF-II/OIF-IV/OEF-VIII Veteran
U.S. Army 1999-2009

Welcome to TWT. I'll leave the dual sport advice to those who have actually done it; I've camped & hiked in the BB, but never by bike, and I've never backcountry-camped there. Just be aware that, in September, it's still plenty hot there. Please be well prepared in terms of hydration.

Welcome to TWT. I'll leave the dual sport advice to those who have actually done it; I've camped & hiked in the BB, but never by bike, and I've never backcountry-camped there. Just be aware that, in September, it's still plenty hot there. Please be well prepared in terms of hydration.

Halloween is our scheduled vacation dates, hopefully it'll cool off by then! Thx for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

like the others, I have done a lot of dual sport riding but never in Big bend so can't offer any advice for that, but did want to say a big welcome to the club..

Gary

Last edited:
Words of advice...
1 Don't let your buddy in the jeep think he can go where you can. B don't think you can go where you think you can go. Tres, take lots of water.

You absolutely have to be able to fix a flat. Take lots of water. Take lots of water.

Ok, yes, i'm going to practice changing the tire prior to heading out. What do dual sport riders typically use to air up your tires? Canisters? Pumps? I have a small 12v air pump, craftsman.

What about going tubeless? Not even sure if thats a possibility...

Thx for tips!!!

Ok, yes, i'm going to practice changing the tire prior to heading out. What do dual sport riders typically use to air up your tires? Canisters? Pumps? I have a small 12v air pump, craftsman.

What about going tubeless? Not even sure if thats a possibility...

Thx for tips!!!

Take someone with you that has been there before is the best advice I can give you. Don't ride alone if at all possible. If you have issues it is always a plus to have a second set of eyes/hands/etc.

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...ggaMAE&usg=AFQjCNE01RNerPINQG_l0ty9axOGImWEww

tubeless is not really an option with spoked rims on a KLR, I have a battery tender lead connected permanently to my bike battery to keep the battery trickle charged when not in use, when out riding the same plug makes a convenient plug to connect a small compressor or a cigarette lighter socket to inflate tyres, but I also have a small bicycle hand pump, in case everything else fails I can still inflate the tyre by hand!! I always ride with a friend and one of us carries a spare rear inner tube and the other carries a spare front inner tube, then one carries the 12V compressor/pump and the other carries the tyre levers, the tyre levers have a spoon on one end for getting the tyre of the rim and the other end is a big spanner suitable for undoing the rear and front axle bolts!! Means carrying less tools (less weight). I would highly recommend doing the same!! we do also carry a puncture repair kit in case we get another puncture (but that has never happened), it's much easier to just change a tube whilst on the trail and repair the punctured tube when you are home with running water and work surfaces to put things on!! Then bring the repaired inner tube as a spare for the next ride out!!
What I did the first time was buy the spare front and rear inner tubes and then in the comfort of my garage, tried to change both inner tubes with only the tools I am carrying, this confirmed that I had all that was needed to fix the tyre whilst riding!! nothing worse than getting a puncture for real and finding you have everything you need to change the inner tube except a spanner to release the rim clamp or some other minor part and so much easier to practice in the comfort of your own home!! I also carry a spare spring link for the chain in case it comes off whilst riding!!

Gary

tubeless is not really an option with spoked rims on a KLR, I have a battery tender lead connected permanently to my bike battery to keep the battery trickle charged when not in use, when out riding the same plug makes a convenient plug to connect a small compressor or a cigarette lighter socket to inflate tyres, but I also have a small bicycle hand pump, in case everything else fails I can still inflate the tyre by hand!! I always ride with a friend and one of us carries a spare rear inner tube and the other carries a spare front inner tube, then one carries the 12V compressor/pump and the other carries the tyre levers, the tyre levers have a spoon on one end for getting the tyre of the rim and the other end is a big spanner suitable for undoing the rear and front axle bolts!! Means carrying less tools (less weight). I would highly recommend doing the same!! we do also carry a puncture repair kit in case we get another puncture (but that has never happened), it's much easier to just change a tube whilst on the trail and repair the punctured tube when you are home with running water and work surfaces to put things on!! Then bring the repaired inner tube as a spare for the next ride out!!
What I did the first time was buy the spare front and rear inner tubes and then in the comfort of my garage, tried to change both inner tubes with only the tools I am carrying, this confirmed that I had all that was needed to fix the tyre whilst riding!! nothing worse than getting a puncture for real and finding you have everything you need to change the inner tube except a spanner to release the rim clamp or some other minor part and so much easier to practice in the comfort of your own home!! I also carry a spare spring link for the chain in case it comes off whilst riding!!

Gary

Great advice Gary. We split the weight of repair gear between two bikes and tried not to duplicate items when we ride. Here is another item that might come in handy while changing out your tire.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109594

Last edited:
Thanks all for the welcome & tips. I guess for now until I find a riding buddy no serious back country. Picking up the tubes this afternoon. If anyone is ever in CenTex, hit me up for a ride! I'll checkout the riding groups too!

Great advice on splitting everything up, i like that idea! Knowing me, I WILL get a flat!

Thanks,

John
atxklr

I'm from Austin too. Just got a super tenere. Would love to go to Big Bend myself. Let me know how it goes! Jeff

Welcome, atxklr.
I've got a 15 KLR also, 3200 miles. I've had two flats, one change on the road. I carry one of each tube and a jack stand, not too hard. Have not been to BB yet, maybe this fall/winter. I'm going to order Tusk panniers soon. I'm north of Austin, maybe see you at one of kickstand-prophets's "meet and greets".

Howdy from Thorndale! 200+ miles of gravel in Milam county....let me know and we'll go get some of it rode! :sun:

Back