• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

198? Honda Odyssey with Katana 600 engine

As promised heres some pics of the start of the roll cage. Ive still got ALOT to do before its finished and to top it off i ran out of tubing today. The material im using for the cage is 1" 095" DOM tubing. I have no doubt it will be strong enough after i do all the bracing to tie everything together.

Heres a pic from the front that shows the rear main hoop and the front main hoop.
rollcage1.jpg

You can see i put the door bar in and started the bracing on that. There will be another brace that goes opposite the two pointing towards the back. So it will tie in to the top of the rear one to the bottom of the front one.
rollcage2.jpg

Another angle. You can see the two bars that tie the front hoop to the rear hoop. Once i get those welded in i will be putting an X brace between the two bars.
rollcage3.jpg

Ive still got alot of work to do including ALOT of bracing, the front bars that extend the door bars forward and tie into the front suspension, the hoops to mount the new shocks up front, the hoops to mount the new rear shocks, and other bracing that ties the cage to the frame and ties the cage to itself, and a cage that goes around the engine/swingarm.

Oh and i got a smoking deal on a front set of Duro Scorcher tires(same as back ones) that will go on the new hubs and rims going up front.

Last edited:
Got alot more of the cage done including most of the matching left side door bar and braces, the front part of the cage, and the back brace. I will be totally done with the cage on tuesday or the latest wednesday and ill take more pics. Right now im tired and its a holiday weekend so im going home...

Looks like a fun project...I have my old Formula 440 race car (basicly a oversize go kart)that I am considering changing to a old Kawa 900 powerplant....Currently has a Fuji water cooled 440 cc snowmobile driveline.. Been studing on the gearing and looks like I will have to run a real big front sprocket to get in the ballpark with the 10'' wheels..Also some way to duct air from the sidepods to the engine...With a wing it should be a fun A-Mod autocross car.......Enjoy

Looks like a fun project...I have my old Formula 440 race car (basicly a oversize go kart)that I am considering changing to a old Kawa 900 powerplant....Currently has a Fuji water cooled 440 cc snowmobile driveline.. Been studing on the gearing and looks like I will have to run a real big front sprocket to get in the ballpark with the 10'' wheels..Also some way to duct air from the sidepods to the engine...With a wing it should be a fun A-Mod autocross car.......Enjoy

It didn't happen without pics...;)

I should have this done within a couple weeks and I'm hoping it will be REAL fun...:dude:

Well, ive decided to get rid of the antiquated front suspension all together so i ordered a complete 400EX a-arm assy with spindles, hubs, calipers, etc.

If you keep updating all the parts you already have, you will never get it finished!! And we want it finished as we want to see it run!! :rider:

Looking very good, the roll cage definitely looks like it will do it's job (Hoping it never has too!).

Gary

If you keep updating all the parts you already have, you will never get it finished!! And we want it finished as we want to see it run!! :rider:

Looking very good, the roll cage definitely looks like it will do it's job (Hoping it never has too!).

Gary

This is the last upgrade of parts im doing to it. I was looking at how to best add the new shocks but the design of the odyssey front suspension limits it to a very low travel(were talking like 6"...) because the tie rods will cause the spindles to shift from perfect in the middle, to toe in with any kind of travel, and toe out with compression. Not a good combination with wheelies and high hp in its future...

I had to cut off the shock mounts and build new ones anyway so im not actually doing much extra work but i definately dont want to test the roll cage because of the suspension caused it to get squirly...

whats funny is i started out with a stock FL250 odyssey and the only thing left is the steering wheel/shaft, and two partial side frame rails.... I was told i should just start from scratch back when i started this project as it would be much easier than modifying what i have and i can tell you without a doubt i probly would have saved at least 100 hrs if i had build it from the ground up...

Last edited:
This is the last upgrade of parts im doing to it. I was looking at how to best add the new shocks but the design of the odyssey front suspension limits it to a very low travel(were talking like 6"...) because the tie rods will cause the spindles to shift from perfect in the middle, to toe in with any kind of travel, and toe out with compression. Not a good combination with wheelies and high hp in its future...

I had to cut off the shock mounts and build new ones anyway so im not actually doing much extra work but i definately dont want to test the roll cage because of the suspension caused it to get squirly...

whats funny is i started out with a stock FL250 odyssey and the only thing left is the steering wheel/shaft, and two partial side frame rails.... I was told i should just start from scratch back when i started this project as it would be much easier than modifying what i have and i can tell you without a doubt i probly would have saved at least 100 hrs if i had build it from the ground up...

We live and learn.. At least I'm told we should! I seem to repeat the same mistakes, so some of us learn more slowly than others!! :trust: Next time you will know to just roll your sleeves up and start from scratch!!:eek2:

Gary

Well to bring this thread back to life here are some more pics of work ive gotten done on it this week. Mounted rear shocks, mounted front right suspension although i need better shocks that are stronger, finished the X brace on the back of the cage, and finished up alot of the welding on the cage that was only tacked or partially welded.

ody2_zps75dd4721.jpg

ody1_zps14fb40c9.jpg

ody3_zps23bba789.jpg

ody4_zpsd431b469.jpg

Back in the 80's you used to see a lot of "modified" rigs of all types running at Little Sahara State Park in Northwest Oklahoma. They would throw sand paddles on about anything, like a 1000 Interceptor, put an ATV axle on the rear and paddles and blast up the dunes.

Yeah, i know a few people who have went to little sahara and i used to live just across the kansas border from there, although i never got a chance to go, but the town i lived in was a crossing point for highways so we would see the most outrageous vehicles come through on trailers headed out there. I might end up going out there once im finished with this if i dont sell it first.

"My eyes are bigger than my stomach" (so to speak). Or should I say, "my desires are greater than my funds" (to be more precise).

Actually, I have a Hondamatic 750 Four engine, and a trike frame, that I'm going to attempt to marry...

That sounds like fun!!

Werent you selling a bunch of triumph's a while back? Trade me that bonneville trike roller you had!!

That one is getting a Hondamatic 750 engine for a friend who is "getting on in years"

Nah, just this shot of the mocked-up Triumph with some LSD parts I had on the shelf...

404858168.jpg

Stadium seating for the passenger :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back