• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

CT90 1969 K1

I am trying to get this project ready for opening season dove in the South Zone. Don, you could have talked him out of one of them and fixed it up for hunting and dirt roads. The granny gears are REAL low.

Cool thread. I had a red '65 S90 like the one Leon posted on ebay. It was one year old with a little over 200 miles on it when I got it. I put an additional 10,000 more miles on it till '70 when I bought a new 350 Yamaha twin. Got married, moved out and little S90 sat in my Dad's garage about 20 years. One day a worker he had at the house saw it in the garage and offered my Dad $50 for it and he took it. It broke my heart to hear it was gone. Good luck on the rest of your rebuild.

I am trying to get this project ready for opening season dove in the South Zone. Don, you could have talked him out of one of them and fixed it up for hunting and dirt roads. The granny gears are REAL low.

Well, I am not a hunter, so....:zen:
I have a really nice XL-350R for the dirt roads.:rider:
If He brings them back, I will get them running and flip.

Last week I put the ct90 top end together. The shop looked at the barrel and said it "could" cause smoke. Either way, I asked to have the exhaust valve stem seal replaced and that was done.

Set the rings offset 60 degrees and put it back together. 90% less smoke. maybe more with a few miles. Throttle cable was really hard to twist and replaced that ($10) with one I already had ordered for the other ct90. Need to test compression. Smoke now smells more like gas than burned oil. Possible jet problem, when it warms up outside I am going to ride it long enough to get it warm and then check the plug for rich. Even as is, it is OK now on the smoke.

CT90s are too cool.

Last week I put the ct90 top end together. The shop looked at the barrel and said it "could" cause smoke. Either way, I asked to have the exhaust valve stem seal replaced and that was done.

Set the rings offset 60 degrees and put it back together. 90% less smoke. maybe more with a few miles. Throttle cable was really hard to twist and replaced that ($10) with one I already had ordered for the other ct90. Need to test compression. Smoke now smells more like gas than burned oil. Possible jet problem, when it warms up outside I am going to ride it long enough to get it warm and then check the plug for rich. Even as is, it is OK now on the smoke.

CT90s are too cool.

What, no plug for the electric vest? Oh, wait, 6V.....:lol2:

Wow, that was a long term project. Glad to hear it's rideable.

What, no plug for the electric vest? Oh, wait, 6V.....:lol2:

Wow, that was a long term project. Glad to hear it's rideable.

it does have a big rack on back he could strap a generator to for a heater!:mrgreen: they are a two wheeled pack mule. I have even pulled a very old home build 5X8 trailer around the pasture with my CT110.

Wow, that was a long term project.

A LOT of shop time waiting.

First trip for piston recommendation.

Wait a week for piston and rings, second over.

Take to shop. Wait 10 days. Call. Wait another week.

Rebuild. Smoke.

Order valve seal. Week.

Take head to shop for valve job. Wait 10 days. Get a call, bent valve.

Order valve. Week.

Take valve to shop. 10 days.

Rebuild, smoke.

Take barrel and head back to shop for inspction. Decision to go 4th over. Honda no more 4th over. DrAtv, out of stock. eBay auction, a week.

Take barrel and pistons to shop. 10 days.

Rebuild. smoke.

Read, read internet. only two possibilities, rings/barrel or exhaust valve stem seal. But new seal, 1 week, take back to shop.

Shop suggests finding eBay barrel, take all. 4 days later, no eBay barrel that looks better than mine, advise them to just install the seal.

10 days for seal. Call. Not done. wait another week and call back, they said it was done "a long time ago". Holidays and all.

Assemble with the thought that this is easier to sell smoking and in one piece than a bucket of parts. Start it, no smoke. Well, maybe 10% smoke but not the cloud I was leaving everyone I passed. And what I have now is a grey color smells of gas, not blue and smoggy.

Happy now.

All this was fairly cheap, after all it is a ct90. But timewise, this was killing me because an open engine has been sitting on the garage and making it impossible to start other projects that were AHEAD of this one but this ct90 was going to be so easy.

Happiest moment, 10% smoke (might clear up with rings setting).
2nd happiest moment? When the ct90 group told me I could do the top end WITHOUT removing the engine from the bike. WAHOOOOOO!

Worst moment? After buying the second set of pistons and rings and valve and valve job to see it blowing smoke like that. Why do I do this to myself? Thoughts of motorcycle suicide (some think mc murder but since the bike becomes an extension of you) as thoughts of tossing it off a cliff or using a sledge on it dance through me head.

To stay in this sport, you have to have a short memory and only remember the results.

Last edited:
Back