• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Vintage buffs feel free to drool over what I bought today

Thanks, guys. :thumb: And now for an interesting afterward to this project.

Channeling The 1970s

Have you ever had one of those moments where you sort of jokingly wished for something silly, and then it surprisingly came true, giving you a nice chuckle? Well, it happened to me recently.

Coming back from Austin a few weeks ago, I stopped in for a visit with my aunt and uncle in Georgetown, Texas. My uncle followed my 1978 KZ1000 restoration project from beginning to end, and had been saving a little surprise for me; one of his old leather riding jackets from the late '70s which he had used during his years as an avid rider in California. Can you say "Freakin' sweet!"? Oh yes, I knew you could. I took these pics a little while ago:

wilsons_jacket_1979.jpg

As you can see, it's a very 1970s Wilsons leather jacket with a heavy liner. As you can also see, before everything was made in China, it was all made in Korea. In any case, it goes perfectly with my KZ in theme alone, and despite the fact that it's a little big for me, I'll wear it with pride.

But none of that is the point of the story, it's just the setup.

My wife and I were talking about the jacket last week, and I mentioned that it would've been too cool if there had been something interesting left forgotten in one of the pockets; perhaps directions to an old bike night or the like.

"Well?" she asked. "Did you check all the pockets thoroughly?"

Typical me, I just responded with a yes and we went on about our conversation. Then, at about 3 o'clock last Saturday morning after the getting home from the night's Dingo Sanctuary show, I sat in front of my computer cruising Facebook and trying to wind down for bed. Out of the corner of my left eye, I saw the jacket hanging on the door, stared over at it for a good minute or so, and decided perhaps one more search was in order.

Here's what I found in the arm pocket:

richreg1980small.jpg

It's not exactly directions to a bike night, but is perhaps just as cool. It's the registration card to my uncle's 1979 Yamaha XS650E, which was then less than a year old. He had that bike for a long time, finally selling it during the '90s with who-knows-how-many miles on the clock.

I don't really have a rational explanation for why, but finding that old registration card filled my heart with joy. I guess it's just nice to know that I'll be returning a jacket that saw spirited rides on every canyon road in southern California to its intended use.

Or maybe I'm just sentimental.

Last edited:

Tim, I would REALLY like to have a good pron shot of this bike without a distracting background that I could use for the front page photo collection. If you have one and don't mind me using it, could you post a link to it in the thread in the General section where I requested street bike pics? Or, you can email to me at tourmeister@twtex.com. Thanks!

Congrats! I am still kicking Myself for selling My 73 Z-1.
I only enjoyed it for 27 years before a collector made Me an offer I couldn't refuse. Then , He saw My Z-1R and took it too!!! The money is long gone, why did I sell?!!!:doh:

Thanks, guys. :thumb: And now for an interesting afterward to this project.

Channeling The 1970s

Have you ever had one of those moments where you sort of jokingly wished for something silly, and then it surprisingly came true, giving you a nice chuckle? Well, it happened to me recently.

Coming back from Austin a few weeks ago, I stopped in for a visit with my aunt and uncle in Georgetown, Texas. My uncle followed my 1978 KZ1000 restoration project from beginning to end, and had been saving a little surprise for me; one of his old leather riding jackets from the late '70s which he had used during his years as an avid rider in California. Can you say "Freakin' sweet!"? Oh yes, I knew you could. I took these pics a little while ago:

wilsons_jacket_1979.jpg

As you can see, it's a very 1970s Wilsons leather jacket with a heavy liner. As you can also see, before everything was made in China, it was all made in Korea. In any case, it goes perfectly with my KZ in theme alone, and despite the fact that it's a little big for me, I'll wear it with pride.

But none of that is the point of the story, it's just the setup.

My wife and I were talking about the jacket last week, and I mentioned that it would've been too cool if there had been something interesting left forgotten in one of the pockets; perhaps directions to an old bike night or the like.

"Well?" she asked. "Did you check all the pockets thoroughly?"

Typical me, I just responded with a yes and we went on about our conversation. Then, at about 3 o'clock last Saturday morning after the getting home from the night's Dingo Sanctuary show, I sat in front of my computer cruising Facebook and trying to wind down for bed. Out of the corner of my left eye, I saw the jacket hanging on the door, stared over at it for a good minute or so, and decided perhaps one more search was in order.

Here's what I found in the arm pocket:

richreg1980small.jpg

It's not exactly directions to a bike night, but is perhaps just as cool. It's the registration card to my uncle's 1979 Yamaha XS650E, which was then less than a year old. He had that bike for a long time, finally selling it during the '90s with who-knows-how-many miles on the clock.

I don't really have a rational explanation for why, but finding that old registration card filled my heart with joy. I guess it's just nice to know that I'll be returning a jacket that saw spirited rides on every canyon road in southern California to its intended use.

Or maybe I'm just sentimental.

Great post! Good to see you on here. Thanks for sharing!

I'm a long time lover of the great inline 4 cylinder Kawasaki. After having survived :shock::shock::shock: a couple of years on an H-1, I bought my first new motorcycle. Year 1978 Z1-R was a good one (at least that is what I thought at the time, much improved handling over the H-1) for my young cycling years.

Me (on my Z1-R) and a friend on a KZ900 made record time from Galveston Island causeway to the Airport Blvd exit on I45 south near South Houston.
I guess I was a squid in the 70's. Ahh the memories.

Beautiful bike Tim!

1978ZR1.jpg

My dream bike!!!! Thanks for the pic Fangs she is truly a beauty. Brings back memories of drooling:drool: over them at the Kawasaki dealer in Killeen. Dig that jacket. Drew

Tim, I would REALLY like to have a good pron shot of this bike without a distracting background that I could use for the front page photo collection. If you have one and don't mind me using it, could you post a link to it in the thread in the General section where I requested street bike pics? Or, you can email to me at tourmeister@twtex.com. Thanks!

Well, somehow or another, I missed this post four years ago. So sorry, Scott. Anyway, assuming you're still interested, will this one work, or did you want one with just the bike? If so, I'll repost it to the request thread.

563441_3393049837786_1540468743_n.jpg

Tim, whatever happened to the little triple you were working on?

I sold that bike to make room for the Z bike project. Finding reasonably priced parts and other support for the triple was darn near impossible in West Texas. The best resources were in Europe and the shipping prices made everything expensive. Anyway, I found a triple guy who wanted it, so I let it go. It gave me room and time to work on the KZ, which is a much more practical and powerful bike for day-to-day use. Not to mention the fact that I can get everything I need for the KZ with little fuss, both locally and online.

You have chosen well. Your KZ1000 is a work of art.

Many thanks. The next step I take with it may be something along these lines:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_uDJoETVL0"]Real not retro - Modified Kawasaki Z1 - YouTube[/ame]

I wonder if Kawasaki is going to build a retro styled Z along the lines of Hondas CB. Frankly I just don't care for all the body work the newer styles have, more to hide the hardware. Motors need to be seen and heard!

I wonder if Kawasaki is going to build a retro styled Z along the lines of Hondas CB. Frankly I just don't care for all the body work the newer styles have, more to hide the hardware. Motors need to be seen and heard!
They did for quite a few years in the 90's, it was the Zephyr line in Japan and was modeled after the old Z1.

They did for quite a few years in the 90's, it was the Zephyr line in Japan and was modeled after the old Z1.

A buddy of mine had one. They were very cool bikes and great to look at. I'm hoping we're on the verge of a full-blown retro revolution in the US and that Kawasaki will respond in kind. Fingers crossed.

The KZs and Mach-series triples are a big part of the reason I'm a motorcyclist today and a Kawasaki buff. My uncles -- as well as my dad -- rode them, and I was often on the back of one. This bike is actually more than just a vintage bike I picked up. I've managed to get my hands on a piece of my childhood. Very groovy.
:clap:Very cool. Congrats on getting the blast from your past!

Digging this thread out of the dusty file cabinet. I must say you did an excellent job on the bike, a little late but my vote would have been for the Red. My first street bike was a Red 1977 KZ-650 and for some one with little riding skills that bike was a steep learning curve but I survived.
Bet that bike is fun to ride.
Tom

A new bike project has begun. If all goes according to plan, I won't be letting go of this GS1000 like I foolishly did with the KZ1000:

A new bike project has begun. If all goes according to plan, I won't be letting go of this GS1000 like I foolishly did with the KZ1000:

Very nice! I has a 79 GS1000, sweet machine.

1978 KZ1000 LTD in partial Z1 trim. She needs new tires, some paint and a bit of polishing (specifically the motor). But otherwise, she be sound as a pound, maties.

RUNS. LIKE. A. SCALDED. BLEEPING. DOG. :clap:

View attachment 132176

View attachment 132177

View attachment 132178

Today today today, I consider myself self self, the luckiest man man man, on the face of the earth earth earth.

1970s muscle bike greatness is mine. O happy day. :zen:
My brother bought one of these NEW,....still has it,...still screams!

When I worked for the city of Phoenix we had a cop shop next door to our repair facility. They had a "shed" full of KZ1000's police bikes. Those were tough bike to put up with the abuse that the cops put them through. When Kawasaki decided to quit making them the city bought all that were left in the warehouse, 180 bikes, and put them in service one at a time as the older ones were worn out or wrecked. After they were gone the city went to HD and Honda St1300's. The Hondas were a far better bike.
One of the top motor officers pushed for the Harley's. With the Harley's the cops would blow out the stock clutches until they were all upgraded with "screaming eagle" clutches.

Back