• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Proposal for a new riding game-Historical Markers?

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Barnes
So, congrats to the guys for completing the "Farm Roads by the Numbers" game. I was out chasing tags and gravel today, and realized that all Texas Historical Markers are numbered. You can search them by number here Anyone interested in trying to hit them all in order? There are a LOT of them, so it would be a big project, but it could be fun. Thoughts?

I would be game. Are we talking trying to do it individually? Or doing it in a way where we keep track, and whoever is closest to the next one grabs it type thing? Just looking at the options of how to do this

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

As a group, doing it by region. I just checked, #2 is in the panhandle, so there's that :( Doing it like tag, but in numerical order. Somebody posts #1, somebody else posts #2, etc. Here's the deets on #1

Marker Number 1
Atlas Number 5023000001
Marker Title Early Community Building
Index Entry Community Building, Early
Address
City Seymour
County Baylor
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 475919
UTM Northing 3716596
Subject Codes buildings; inns, hotels, motels
Marker Year 1969
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location S. East and E. Morris streets, Seymour
Marker Size 14" x 24"
Marker Text Built 1877 by Charles Holman, builder-carpenter from Sweden. Stone was quarried south of town. Over the years, structure housed a school, churches, a newspaper office and a community center. It was purchased by J. E. McClelen in 1949 and restored as a private home. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969.

Gourdhead said:
So, congrats to the guys for completing the "Farm Roads by the Numbers" game. I was out chasing tags and gravel today, and realized that all Texas Historical Markers are numbered. You can search them by number here Anyone interested in trying to hit them all in order? There are a LOT of them, so it would be a big project, but it could be fun. Thoughts?

Sounds like fun. I'd love to contribute when I can.

bmcdonau did a great job keeping the FM project on task and organized, I'm sure he'd be happy to impart his wisdom so you could employ the same methods on this project. That's assuming you want to be the cowboy that tries to herd all these cats. :lol

Turns out there's an Android and iPhone app for the markers.

Since there are several thousand (not sure exactly how many) markers, maybe this would work better if we broke it down by county. Maybe create a new thread with a master post that has a section for each county, and each county section can be filled in, in whatever order the markers are obtained. Just spitballing here...

Last edited:
Tried the Android app but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone else give it a try?

One advantage for the markers would be that you would almost be assured of a good place to stop and take the picture. With the road signs it was sometimes dicey finding a safe place to put the bike so that you could get both the bike and sign into the picture.

Back