• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin tank restoration?

Reaction score
Who does a good job in the Austin area of restoring rusty gas tanks? (the inside)

Picked up a project '81 CBX1000 and really don't want to send any crud thru these carbs when I'm done rebuilding them.

You can clean out a gas tank your self if you don't mind a bit of work. Make sure there is no gas left in it, pour in a couple cups of kerosene and drop in a hand full of old nuts and washers, put the cap back on. Sit in the sun (to work on your tan) and shake the crap out of the tank, turning it every which way. Better yet get your kids to do this if you have any. Keep shaking the tank and inspect it every now and then till the insides are clean, dump out the crap and then rinse it with some more kerosene. I have run tank sealers before but don't any more. I just try to keep the tank full of gas to keep down rusting.

A good radiator shop can clean and line the tank for you with "Redline" but the process will screw up the paint so do it before you paint. But this will cost you some bucks.
Have fun and ride safe
Tom

A good radiator shop can clean and line the tank for you with "Redline" but the process will screw up the paint so do it before you paint. But this will cost you some bucks.
Have fun and ride safe
Tom

+1

I had this done to a CBR tank. Paint was junk afterwards, but the tank had been cleaned and lined for $65.

I used a media blaster with aluminum oxide. I used a rubber hose (heater hose) to get to those places I couldn't see. The tank looked great, the brass filter screens cleaned up. Left it out without any liquid in it and it did not rust. As far as I know it is still good. Since your just down the road from me, your welcome to come by and give it a go.

Back