• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New D7100...

:tab So help me out here... What would be the advantage (if any) of having the D600 (24Mp) over the D7100 (24Mp). I mean, I know you get full frame, but so what? What makes that so much better? Other than that one feature, it seems like the D7100 has all or more than the D600 for almost half the price. What am I missing?

Same number of pixels covering a larger sensor means more light per pixel. That means better low light performance & faster auto-focus.

Same number of pixels covering a larger sensor means more light per pixel. That means better low light performance & faster auto-focus.

But doesn't it also mean lower resolution?

"Resolution" is a vaguely defined term. 24MP = 24MP, so some would say the resolutions are identical. A single pixel the cropped camera sees a narrower angle of view - so some might call that better resolution. The bigger pixel in the full frame will have a better signal:noise ratio (even at ISO 200), so the data in those pixels will be "better" - that might make some say it's higher resolution.

Both cameras will be limited by the resolving power of the lenses (and the full frame-ness uses the far edges of the imaging circle of full-frame lenses - which is the softest part of the lens), steadiness of the shooter, etc. And, 24MP really really only matters when printing really large (like 40" x 60") or cropping in post.

But, look through the D600 viewfinder, and you'll see a much brighter image. Compare identical test shots (like from imaging resource's site) and the D600's will be crisper. If pure IQ is what you're after, a larger sensor (of the same technology generation) will win every time.

The D7100 sounds mighty tasty. If it would have came out 2 months earlier, I would have given it some serious thought. I'm jealous of the 51 point auto-focus system, but completely happy with what I have now.

Meh.... all it's doing is taking up more hard-disc space for RAW files. :mrgreen:

Larger sensor leads to better light sensitivity which in turn translates to higher shutter speeds or higher f-stops, or a combination which is useful when shooting action, kids, wildlife, sunsets and sunrises.

I noticed that the view finder coverage on the D600 is not great compared to even the D7000. Does that matter to most folks when composing shots? I would think that would get annoying.

Why is that? Just because of the full frame?

Yes - more light being tunneled through the same size opening.

And viewfinder coverage doesn't really matter to me. I don't want any important details in the surrounding 2 or 4% of the image anyway.

I must wave the Skip Hunt wand at this

:rofl:

Sure. For the kind of photography he does, his P&S does great. He usually shoots in very bright conditions and/or static objects. He gets fantastic results!

I noticed that the view finder coverage on the D600 is not great compared to even the D7000. Does that matter to most folks when composing shots? I would think that would get annoying.

I'm confused here. The D600 has 100% viewfinder coverage in FX mode. I guess it only has 97% in DX mode, but you can still see exactly what you are composing because all the DX mode does is put a cropped box inside the viewfinder.

On a side note, I really don't understand the whole DX mode thing anyway on a FX body. Why not just shoot in FX and crop. Can anyone explain the advantage of the actual DX mode over cropping to that?

I'm confused here. The D600 has 100% viewfinder coverage in FX mode. I guess it only has 97% in DX mode, but you can still see exactly what you are composing because all the DX mode does is put a cropped box inside the viewfinder.

:tab My bad! :doh: I was looking at View Finder magnification and NOT viewfinder coverage. Coverage is 100% for both the D600 and D7100.

On a side note, I really don't understand the whole DX mode thing anyway on a FX body. Why not just shoot in FX and crop. Can anyone explain the advantage of the actual DX mode over cropping to that?

:tab I think this is so that people that spent a lot of money on DX lenses before upgrading to an FX body can still use those DX lenses until they can sell them off to finance the FX lenses ;-) The image projected by the DX lens will not cover the entire FX sensor, so it automagically crops to the DX size.

Every time a new whiz-bang Nikon comes out, I run over and hit compare on them. And every time I find myself deciding that I *NEED* the D800 :giveup: :lol2:

Back