• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FJR Fork Damper Tool (Gen II)

Reaction score
Hi All.. Following the thread over on FJR Forums to replace my seals and bushings.... Got them apart to the point where it calls for the custom tool to hold the damper in place (3/8" drive welded to a 3/4" pipe welded to a 26mm socket)...

Anybody in the N. Austin/Georgetown area have this? If not I'll reassemble and hope the spring tension method works... Wish I saw that tip in the printout I made...

Thanks!

Springs in, cap on, use an electric or air impact gun to loosen.
Or use a holding tool

The special tool sounds easy enough, go to a pawn shop and buy said sockets, go to lowes and buy the required lenght of pipe, go to a shop that does welding, weld it up , go compleat your job on the FJR, a one day job at the most and the right tool makes a hard job easy.

Yeah, I wound up putting it back together and used the impact gun...

It was going all too smoothly with both completely apart (no problems removing the old bushings) until I had a brain-dead moment in reassembly and put the middle bushing in the lower before putting the tube in with the lower bushing attached... Fortunately the middle bushing didnt seat all the way in, but getting that out is going to be tricky...

I moved on to reassemble the other fork properly and now I just need to add oil and tighten it all up.

I a hoping I will be able to hammer out the middle bushing with a small wooden dowel inserted into the 8mm hole at the bottom of the fork.

I have a couple other ideas that might work as well, just hard to explain without pictures.. Basically a "wedge" concept to press against the inner walls on the other side of the bushing and then either pull or push out...

Back