• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photography and Federal Buildings...

Hubby was in DC in June and took some pics of the White House .. when he got home we blew them up on the computer and .. wow .. the telescopes and firepower up there on that roof .. LOL

Hubby was in DC in June and took some pics of the White House .. when he got home we blew them up on the computer and .. wow .. the telescopes and firepower up there on that roof .. LOL

Details---- we need details! That sounds interesting. Pics are better!

I can provide pics .. lol .. but I'll have to find them on our home computer and mail them to myself at work .. it might take a few days ..

We were laughing..

Yeah, there are some weird ideas and concepts that some in guv'mint have about taking pics or vids. If you're on public property taking pictures of buildings or other subjects that are clearly visible to public property, it's odd that some would get their panties in a wad...except, of course, examples like photographing small children for purient interest or using a device or enhancement to otherwise violate someone's privacy obviously aside.

I was on a motorcycle trip one year and was on a public road by the fence at Davis-Montham air force base at Tucson. I was taking pictures of A-10's doing some cool manuevers with a 35mm camera when a pair of AP's pulled up in a jeep inside their fence. They warned me that taking photos like I was doing was prohibited and I would have to leave. This was before 911, and I was kind of ticked off that they said this. I asked why, and they just stated it was some kind of regulation. I said that I thought that I was within the law and was going to keep shooting, but I remained polite and tried not to 'diss them. They advised that they were calling the sheriff's office to come contact me to take action, and I said "go ahead". I remained for about 30-40 minutes and finally left without any law enforcement ever showing up. I mean, c'mon...it wasn't like I did a low crawl up to Area 51 to photograph spy planes or such.

I've noticed that stuff on and around the White House on our last trip to DC. Rumor has it that there's supposed to be a Patriot missle battery there now too. Who knows?

A recent court decision/settlement now clarifies that you have a reasonable expectation of not being arrested for photographing Federal Buildings, Courthouses etc. if done from a public location.

Details:
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/you-can-photograph-that-federal-building/

I think I would print out several copies of the decision to keep on me if I were gonna go out and take pics. Even then though, I would not be the lease bit surprised if the decision were ignored by anyone trying to get you to stop taking pictures. It would be one of those cases where you might eventually be right, but in the mean time they would make you pay for being right...

When I was still active in the military, I had a close relative in the Secret Service give me an after duty-day, behind-the-scenes tour of the WH. Met the roof-top sniper team (gun nuts would love the rifle they have), got some of the low-down on the anti-terrorist capabilities in and around that complex. Like an iceberg, what you can see (or photograph) is but a fraction of what can be brought to the gunfight, as one would expect. Same with the president's protective detail - those guys you see with the coiled wire earpieces and the long coats are just a fraction of who (and what) is really protecting the president these days.

On another note, yesterday I passed through the Queens-Midtown tunnel in New York City. At the entrance, one very clear sign dictates: No Photography.

When someone asks you to stop taking photos there is always a reason why. I am a photographer employed by Uncle Sam and work on government land every day. Sometimes the little building you didn't notice in the background is something china has been waiting to get a photo of. You might not even realize what you took a photo of. So I wouldn't assume that you know better than the personnel of the location what is classified.

Good rule of thumb, if it can be seen from a public road then there is probably nothing wrong with taking photos, but when in doubt, there is no reason to waste the digits or risk anyone's life.

Back