• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Don't laugh

E.Marquez

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Looking for a perfect for my needs cheap camera....

DARN IT I ASKED YOU NOT TO LAUGH:-D

Seriously
Wife and I have a nice DSL, and of course bad I phone picture taking capable cameras..
But what I want is a garage camera.

Must use removable media (so if camera is damaged, I can still access the pictures)

Must take good close up pictures.
Farthest distance required is 6-10 feet.
Flash not important as I can provide all the direct or indirect light needed to reduce shadows and such.

Must be useable with nitrile gloved hands..Some touch screens work (my Iphone does), some do not

Will get dirty, greasy, oily, might get sprayed with brake cleaner, shock fluid, engine oil... and likely dropped at some point (several times until it stops working would be my guess)
Would prefer something that has a replaceable battery and an external charger (or at least capable) but not a showstopper if in a pinch it will work while plugged into power wall or USB.

Suggestions????

Thanks

Erik

I had an Olympus that would fit the bill - I had a spare battery and it had an external charger for the battery alone, so I could charge one while using the other (vs. having to charge the whole camera through a port). It was an XD card, so removeable but not quite as interchangeable as the SD cards that so many other cameras use these days.

I would ride with it in a soft case attached to the shoulder strap of my Camelbak, so it saw some good use and a bit of weather. No touch screen, all controls were easy enough that I could do just about everything with my gloves on.

The only reason I don't use it anymore is because I had it in a back pocket and sat on it a few too many times :-(

Let me see if I can find the model info & specs...

Thanks
But last I looked I do not have 100 foot deep standing water in my garage... don’t really need to spend $$$$ on a waterproof camera to take pics inside a air-conditioned garage..:lol:
And the prices of those reviewed at that link... a bit more then Im looking to spend.. Nice as they are, and perhaps even a good value for what you get... it’s more camera and $$ then needed.

Pawn shop????????
I rarely find actually deals at pawn shops, but Im open to look of course,, and thanks, good idea,., I'll stop buy two on the way home.

Seems the prices listed are always full retail, and 15 or more min of dickering gets you down to 90% of full retail for a used piece of unknown condition.
I did score an $80 Weller Soldiering gun last week for $10 and all it needed was cleaned and a new tip/retaining nuts..
And 2 years ago I got a heck of a deal on a broken Blue Point ¼ air ratchet that I spent 30 minutes at my lathe on a scrap piece of stainless steel to make a new trigger valve cap.
But that’s the only deals I’ve ever gotten at a pawn shop. .. broken stuff I knew I could fix.

Might look at the Olympus "Tough" series cameras...they are waterproof to 33 ft and shockproof. I have used and abused mine and it continues to take great shots. Mine is an 8010 which I see they have discontinued.
Here is link:
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/tough.html?icn=topnav&ici=productsnav_tough-cameras
Focus Range (from lens surface)Normal Mode: W/T: 0.5m-∞
Macro Mode: W: 0.1m-∞/T: 0.3m-∞
Super Macro Mode: 0.02m-0.5m (Standard only, Flash Off)

I like this one as well

Wife has the original Olympus tough. Crummy low-light, but give it light and it works quite well.
Biggest complaint is the xD card. Still, if found for a decent price, I'd say go for it.
Would take quite a few falls before it quits working. Including into the drain pan. Not that anyone but me would do that... :doh:

Wife has the original Olympus tough. Crummy low-light, but give it light and it works quite well.
Biggest complaint is the xD card. Still, if found for a decent price, I'd say go for it.
Would take quite a few falls before it quits working. Including into the drain pan. Not that anyone but me would do that... :doh:
Thanks

What would be "original Olympus tough" Im not real up (in case you cannot tell) on these point and shoot
Several years ago (like 6) I had a Olympus point and shoot....higher end something given to me as a gift.. it worked well,,, for about 6 months, then Iraqi dust did it in and the lend stopped moving.

Anyone have a point and shoot like I have described above that wants to trade for an older film SLR.... I have three we no longer use...:giveup:

I've looked on ebay.. honestly they do not fetch much these days. I tried to donate them to a local high school, and the teacher turned up her nose, saying they only used DSLR

Thanks
But last I looked I do not have 100 foot deep standing water in my garage... don’t really need to spend $$$$ on a waterproof camera to take pics inside a air-conditioned garage..:lol:
And the prices of those reviewed at that link... a bit more then Im looking to spend.. Nice as they are, and perhaps even a good value for what you get... it’s more camera and $$ then needed.

I was just basing it off of the various chemicals that might get sprayed or splashed onto it. Then the subsequent washing those off if needed.:trust:

Here's my unsolicited opinion:

Hit up Craigslist and find one or two cheap p&s cameras that fit your basic needs. Since it's going to be for garage use, you don't need huge MPs for closeup shots. I can't see where a touchscreen would be beneficial. A view screen would be beneficial for viewing what you shot to see if you need a do-over or something. As soon as I find mine I'll post the model. I got it off CL for about $150 over two years ago and it's served me well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone have a point and shoot like I have described above that wants to trade for an older film SLR.... I have three we no longer use...:giveup:

I've looked on ebay.. honestly they do not fetch much these days. I tried to donate them to a local high school, and the teacher turned up her nose, saying they only used DSLR

Yeah, the wife and I had a couple of Cannon Eos film cameras that we couldn't get rid of. 2 Eos, 1 Cannon Rebel, I think 3 extra lenses, tons of filters, 2 extra flash units and an awesome camera backpack and I think we ended up getting maybe $500 for the whole lot when it was said and done. In all we had almost $3k invested in all that stuff when we bought it.

Digital photography and Photoshop have destroyed photography in my opinion. <stepping off the soapbox now>

OK, mine is a Canon SD950 IS but I don't find many for sale right now. But I found these as comparable cameras that would probably fit your needs other than being able to wash them off but at these prices you could use them until they wear out and just buy another one. <shrug>

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3696003983.html

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000ENPDSW"]Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SD630 6MP Digital Elph Camera with 3x Optical Zoom: Camera & Photo[/ame]

So found a "Brand New" on double clearance +25% off Panasonic FP1 today... $30... I decided, at $30, even if not ruggedized, waterproof, ect.. can't really go wrong,,,
Separate battery and charger, removable media card in 4 different styles, Wide angle feature and close up to 2 inches.. Yipppppeeeee

Bring it home, charge battery......................and the LCD screen is broke (inside not the glass outer cover) and it already has a 1/4" wide dead spot along the bottom and right side....

So back it goes to the PX in the morning.. and I will ensure they mark it as damaged.. .so as to not waste anyone elses time.

But I think the ultra cheap selection choice is the right way.. regardless of "features" or the lack thereof.

Back