• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GoPro really has gone downhill....

Well done Scott. Hopefully this will help get this resolved quickly.

That's just to their "Forum Hub" for this product. Reading their site carefully, if you sent a product in without an RMA they send it back. So worst case is I'd be out shipping to them but they'd get the unit and letter. Then again, does the guy receiving these things even really care? Probably not and he'll just see no RMA and send it back. :ponder:

their question would be why did you wait 18 months.

the Sena 10C is a far better platform from a motorsport / action stand point.

....and I totally accept the fact it's 6mths out of warranty. Yet my contention is, I tried multiple times while still under warranty to get it working and for the same problem it still experiences as of this date. A frozen screen on the Video mode and no buttons work.

My Hero2 died on day 366. They were nice enough to offer me 10%. I declined.

Picked up a couple of ContourRoams at 1/2 price near Contours problem time. Those little *******s have taken a beating over the years. The only real problems I've had is a firmware update caused the laser to stay on. Reflash cured it. Now recently one of them has decided the microphone is only available about 30% of the time. I have a feeling I will crack it open and attempt to reflow the mic, or install an external mic port.

My Hero3 black wifi button became problematic within a month. StopAmateur offered me no help "as the camera functions." The wifi button issue is well documented on youtube (no return spring, slight pressure triggers the button...your battery will be dead by the time you get to where you are shooting) An hour after I said "what do I have left to lose if they are not going to help me" I no longer have a wifi button. My battery no longer drains unexpectedly either. As far as wifi goes, it's mostly useless to me...but can still be enabled via the config menus.

My $0.02 on the Hero line is that you are buying into marketing, their 'social video' site, and all of the people they sponsor to occasionally put out a few minutes of entertainment for you. MotoVloggers are in love with the brand, and I do not understand why. The video they shoot is 'okay' for action sports, but they tend to suffer horribly from their design flaws. Options for action cameras are limited, I get that. It's a rare occasion you find a decent comparison between cameras. The one I have found that is of decent quality does not fit my needs exactly. He compares a lot of aspects, but can't cover them all in a short enough time to keep an audience. Even then a comparison video is still usually 30+ minutes.

My Hero3 black wifi button became problematic within a month. StopAmateur offered me no help "as the camera functions." The wifi button issue is well documented on youtube (no return spring, slight pressure triggers the button...your battery will be dead by the time you get to where you are shooting) An hour after I said "what do I have left to lose if they are not going to help me" I no longer have a wifi button. My battery no longer drains unexpectedly either. As far as wifi goes, it's mostly useless to me...but can still be enabled via the config menus.

this has been my only real issue, but I've taken to removing the battery when the camera is in my bag.
What did you do to "fix" the wifi button?

Well, there appears to be quite a few mount options going from a GoPro to the Contour so that part wouldn't be a waste if I went that route.....

Now searching for a way to contact the Board of Directors/President to send my 'note'.

Edit to Add:

Nicholas Woodman
Chief Executive Officer and Chairman
3000 Clearview Way
San Mateo California 94402
United States

Guess I'll clean up my note a bit more then box this thing up and send it with tracking to see they/he got it. Kind of curious to how this will turn out.

Last edited:
Well, there appears to be quite a few mount options going from a GoPro to the Contour so that part wouldn't be a waste if I went that route.....

Now searching for a way to contact the Board of Directors/President to send my 'note'.

Contours also have 1/4x20 mount, which opens up a world of mounting options especially for you photography types.

:tab Despite Garmin's annoying software, I have to admit their customer service has always been awesome for me. Several times I have sent in a messed up unit. Once the unit was out of warranty and crushed when my GS flipped over and landed on it. They replaced it anyway when I sent them a photo of it. Brand new (likely reconditioned) unit was in my hands in about 10 days and it cost me $100. I was thrilled. When I sent in the second unit, they fixed it and sent it back, no charge, even though it was out of warranty. So while I get annoyed messing with BaseCamp and their retarded LOCK codes for the maps, I still come back because I like the units and the customer service. Companies that don't understand that supporting their product matters don't deserve to keep their customers.

:tab Heck, I even got BMW of North America to send me a brand new final drive on a bike that was WAY out of warranty after the rear wheel hub came apart and messed up everything around it. The bike was 20K+ miles and over two years out of warranty. That went a long way toward keeping me riding GSs.

:tab I start out nice and try to work with the folks on the other end. I don't make threats, overt or subtle. Most of the time, it works.

I have a different piece of advice

Borrow a working GoPro or anything it it's league from someone

Give yourself a couple of months to see if you'll actually produce an edited video to YouTube or Vimeo that you're happy with. Make it max 5 minutes.

If magic doesn't come together to do that, then I'd shelve the current GoPro you have, working or not

I have a different piece of advice

Borrow a working GoPro or anything it it's league from someone

Give yourself a couple of months to see if you'll actually produce an edited video to YouTube or Vimeo that you're happy with. Make it max 5 minutes.

If magic doesn't come together to do that, then I'd shelve the current GoPro you have, working or not

:thumb:

I had to have a one, ended up with a roam, shot some vids and didn't care for the lens angle, didn't seem to capture what I was seeing and feeling very well. Also made me ride harder when I was shooting, trying to get the vids to be more entertaining. Before I got hurt for the purpose os entertaining other people, I did just as you said and it only gets used on the windshield when I am wheeling my Jeep. Still not very entertaining. Glad I didn't drop a bundle on a GoPro.

I had to have a one, ended up with a roam, shot some vids and didn't care for the lens angle, didn't seem to capture what I was seeing and feeling very well. Also made me ride harder when I was shooting, trying to get the vids to be more entertaining. Before I got hurt for the purpose os entertaining other people, I did just as you said and it only gets used on the windshield when I am wheeling my Jeep. Still not very entertaining. Glad I didn't drop a bundle on a GoPro.
I mostly use mine for commuting purposes. Bright red camera on top of a bright white helmet. People drive nicer when they see it.

This is disappointing. I've had really good luck with my 3+.

Same here. Both of my 3+ GoPros have been rock solid, especially considering the abuse I've put them through for my YouTube channel over the past few years. I think they do have a higher than average lemon factor, though, based on other stories I've heard that echo the OP.

A few thoughts on this subject in general: The bottom line is that pretty much all action cameras suck (both quality-wise and durability-wise) compared to a lot of full-sized, professional video gear. Thing is, GoPro make the action cams that seem to suck the least in both areas. Contrary to popular belief, you can get professional-quality footage out of them, but it's all about striking the right compromises and utilizing them according to their strengths instead of their weaknesses. Most people who buy them don't know the first thing about videography or camera handling and end up disappointed to one degree or another. The average person's skill and tech savvy hasn't caught up to the technology itself.

Also made me ride harder when I was shooting, trying to get the vids to be more entertaining.
There is a solution for this. Wear it more. When it just becomes a part of your gear you forget it's there and can ride normally. Then, when something spectacular happens you've got it.

I need to get back to wearing mine when I commute. Would have been nice for the accident I witnessed that I wasn't asked about till over a year later. I'd like to have been able to just hand the video over to the nice folks who got plowed into by a jerk.

I start out nice and try to work with the folks on the other end. I don't make threats, overt or subtle. Most of the time, it works.

^^^ This. Works for me most of the time.

As for the whole concept of video, it's great until the editing starts. I looked at hours and hours of vids from my Contour Roam to produce a thirty minute presentation on LAB2LV for the BMW club. Having a working camera is only one third of the equation. Editing software and a computer with the moxie to handle large files with speed are the other two.

An acquaintance from Kerrville does an African game hunting show for the Outdoor Channel and he uses GoPros for some of his videos. Must be something to them.

m

:thumb::thumb:

... Garmin's ... I have to admit their customer service has always been awesome for me. *snip*

Obviously you never tried to get a couple of those teeeeeny little screws that hold a Zumo 550 cable to the Bike Mount. Had you done so, you would have wasted DAYS to find out they don't have them, that the mounts are made in China, and that Garmin do not consider it their responsibility to provide any support whatsoever. In the interim, you'll likely be offered a brandy-new complete mount, complete new cables, and everything BUT a couple of screws, but then a Snoopervisor will review the "promise to make it right," scrap the whole deal, and refuse to be available to explain. JERKS!!!

Not to worry, though - Fastenal has 'em, in either hex or screwmadriver drive. And if you need one or two, PM me and I'll send you some, gratis.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I bought a GoPro to use on my Alaska trip, and in less than a week, the micro USB charging port broke. All I did was charge it. didn't abuse it in any way. When I contacted CS, they said that it was not covered under warranty as I used an aftermarket mount (ram mount) and that it is not recommended for use on motorcycles. Who knew. They offered me a coupon so I could buy a new one. I never replied. I vowed never to buy or use one of their products again. Hope you have a better experience.

Been playing with a Go Pro 3+ Black for a few years now. Never a problem. Just started using Go Pro Studio for the 1st time last week. Nice, but a learning curve, as in all new software.

What the heck is a "form factor?" Is that something like a better, more compact design? Or is it just Marketing Heeba-Hobba, like "Price Point?"

I know how I'm voting!

:lol2::rofl::lol2:
The physical shape of the camera. GoPro is a big block, contour is a cylinder. Less wind buffeting, and IMO, looks better.

The physical shape of the camera. GoPro is a big block, contour is a cylinder. Less wind buffeting, and IMO, looks better.

Aahhhh . . . shape I understand. "Form factor" sounds like something written on a bottle of Snake Oil.

There is a solution for this. Wear it more.

Truth. Once you find a place to put it where it is comfortable, it doesn't bother you nearly as much and you can shoot at will with little fuss. I've been mounting one of mine center-mass a lot this year and it works great like that:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgFg29ObAIs"]Big-Eared Bats Everywhere : A Ghost Town Ride Double Feature! - YouTube[/ame]

I copied some of my GoPro advice from a previous discussion on this site. This is meant for the casual reader, since Scott and I once again talked about this on the phone yesterday.

From the twtex.com thread "I want a GoPro type camera"

"I want a GoPro type camera"

Out of every 100 people who want a GoPro, about 5 people will make a digestible video with it, and 1 will go on to use it regularly.

It isn't buying one and turning it on that you should think about

Think about what you're going to do with the files you capture and getting them to the internet or (less common) your TV.

First realize that your iPhone or your Android can take really good video, and with editing apps now, you can upload to Vimeo and YouTube easily

The only thing a GoPro (and its clones) is useful for is POV mounting.

POV = Point Of View

This is how GoPro made its mark, in addition to miniaturized glass & electronics. It made Nick Woodman a multi billionaire. He originally made the prototype for surfing.

Bearing in mind, if you get one, you'll stick it on your helmet, make a half hour drone video, and if lucky, set some music to it.

The editing learning curve, even if you just use iMovie, isn't steep but it isn't easy either

This day and age, most viewers aren't going to sit through more than 3 minutes of video, and at that, it better be really entertaining. Use quick edits.

Just as a hint, there are tons of "used" GoPro units out there. Anything more than 780p is going to tax the average computer, so if you don't have an up to date computer - your editing platform - you by default have to rethink your stance.

Realize that for most applications, anything more than 780p is overkill anyway. Especially for the internet.

You're not going anywhere soon with the new(ish) 4K video, because editing that will choke most computers that aren't cooled by a liquid hydrogen system.

720 v 1080: try rendering a 3 minute clip in both and report back on whether or not you could tell the difference but also on how long it took your system just to process the data. It's amazing.

This is just an "eyes wide open" warning. Go ahead and get your unit, but realize that there is a universe of challenges awaiting you after you take the cool little camera out of its box.

There is a lot of marketing that comes with these things, but very few folks realize what they're taking on when their unit sits in the packaging before them.

My buddy found a go pro Sunday in the San Marcos river. He said it is the latest version. I'll let yall know if he is able to use it .

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Back