• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Morphing GSF1250 into sport-tourer

Pulled off a all day ride Saturday. Doing a shakedown on many winter mods. The best was the Sargent seat with sheep skin pad, lowered pegs, Daytona bars with 30 mm risers and highway pegs. The B1250 is officially a sport TOURER.
The stage 1 intake mod was a close second.

When your 2 or 3 days into a 14 to 21 day trip, and you get up in age, the comfort things will always rule over the preformance things. I guess that's why , after 70,000 miles, my engine and suspension is still stock cept for the exhaust.

The front forks are woeful with the stock springs. One of the first mods, changed out to Race tech 1.1 kg. springs and lighter viscosity, high quality fork oil.

Just finished first all day ride on the Holeshot Corbin seat. WOW!!!!!!

Just buy the Holeshot Corbin.

Feaking magic. As comfy as the Russel Day Long seat I had on my V-Strom.

Nine hours in the saddle and NO issues.

Wow.

I'm 47 years old.

Good Luck.

MRA X-Creen works wonders for the wind. It's mounted on a ZG touring shield

xcreen%20004-L.jpg

xcreen%20002-L.jpg

Shaft collars for bar risers. I use Bikemaster Daytona bars, around $$$ 20.

gps%20008-L.jpg

Rob, can you recall or find the specific model designation of your X-Creen? I'm looking for something to provide more comfort on long rides, and this adjustable screen looks like it might fill the bill for me.

Thanks.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
These are a few of my favorite things: baby lambs, long walks in the rain, grilling and eating neighborhood children on my patio and, of course, rainbows. God forbid I forget the ****** rainbows.

Disconnect, you mentioned that your ears didn't like the 3500 mile trip. If you don't use ear plugs, start doing so for your hearing's sake. Wind noise will eventually give you a case of tinnitus. Nothing like hearing a ringing/buzzing Sound 24 hours a day. It's something I've listened to for years. It's incurable and is worth going out of your way to prevent.

+1 It sucks big time. And the hearing aids aren't cheap.

LOL > My ears don't like any trip where I'm going over about 45 mph. It's ear plugs after that speed or I'm gonna be on the bike for more that a few minutes about town.

Ear plugs do more than just save your hearing. They allow you to hear better while riding, mechanical issues, sirens, car horns, comms and music.
I find riding less fatiguing while wearing them and it helps with your concentration. Why do you think racers wear them?
Side note...my brother was a semi-truck driver for over 20 years. Driving with the window down has left him almost completely deaf in his left ear from the wind noise.

A short story of when I learned to protect my hearing. Working for Shell Oil in about '67 I was in a generator building helping a mechanic with the governor on a V 12 EMD engine. He kept pointing to my ears cause I was not wearing any protection. After about an hour, we came out of the building and I could see his mouth move but could not hear a word he was saying. The hearing slowly return to full after about an hour. He really lite into me about hearing protection in these high noise environments. Never, have I abuse my hearing since. Just thankful that gunfire, explosions and a dummy working in high noise areas before the LESSON got a LESSON he never forgot before it was too late.

When I started riding again in 2007 (after I bought the Bandit) I read a lot about hearing loss due to wind noise. I tried riding with/without ear plugs and the difference was noticeable even at lower speeds -- and really, how many of us stay at "lower speeds" for very long? :mrgreen:

So...the plugs go in before the helmet goes on.

When I started riding again in 2007 (after I bought the Bandit) I read a lot about hearing loss due to wind noise. I tried riding with/without ear plugs and the difference was noticeable even at lower speeds -- and really, how many of us stay at "lower speeds" for very long? :mrgreen:

So...the plugs go in before the helmet goes on.

+1 on the plugs. Or I use noise cancelling ear buds that way I can listen to some tunes on the long trips. Still able to hear the emergencie vechicles

As for the sports touring added a few changes like most others here.
Oxford heated grips, Throttle Meister, Suzuki gel seat( needs to be recovered 3years of use wore out the cover), Dale at Holeshot helped with most of the other additions Comfort bars kit(came with braided hoses), new springs, windshield(zero gravity), mirror extensions, headers ( perfect fit and saved close to 15lbs - 20lbs with the Yosh pipe). Dobec EFI box( seem to have a power commander III, not being used)
Ohlins rear shock from Phat.
Gears soft bags for storage, strapped on tight so no movement and positioned for a backrest:-P ( still good for lane splitting where legal :twisted:)
But now the Bandit is my city and short run bike after the purchase of a 2014 Concours(Black of course, have to stay with the Fast Color:lol2:) just couldn't sell such a valued and trusted friend:clap:
Cheers Doug.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 179
Not sure y the other pics didn't load. Guess I have to get edumacated on posting multiple pics.
Not now though time to ride.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 191
The best was the Sargent seat with sheep skin pad,

Seeing the seat is a bit wider then stock, etc. What one did you get? Medium!? I'm still looking to deal with my "boney butt syndrome" and I've tried a airhawk no dice! :doh:

Seeing the seat is a bit wider then stock, etc. What one did you get? Medium!? I'm still looking to deal with my "boney butt syndrome" and I've tried a airhawk no dice! :doh:

Yes sir the medium fits very well. Charcoal is slightly cooler than black in the summer and still does not show dirt. My pad has been to the grand canyon, east coast, Idaho etc. and is getting quite flat. Even with numerous washings I may need a new one. I was thinking of the airhawk. What didn't you like about it?

It just didn't get rid of the pain for me. I think its heat related for me as in the cooler months, etc. its not as bad! I guess the sheepskin is supposed to keep you cool so that may be the answer! :)

It just didn't get rid of the pain for me. I think its heat related for me as in the cooler months, etc. its not as bad! I guess the sheepskin is supposed to keep you cool so that may be the answer! :)

It does help keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I have sheep covers in my truck with leather (non heated) seats. Fantastic year round.
*** Use the discount code "deadsheep" when checking out for a 10% discount.***

Back