• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country 500: May 21 - 22, 2016

This may be coming together for me. Does anyone know of a place to the west of Austin that I could stash a truck and a trailer for a couple of days? I could ride the DRZ down but I'm not sure I really want too.

I plan on going to johnson city the night before and camp at my buddies place. there is lots of room there. its only about 30 min from the start and 20 min from the finish. He has 20+ acres. I also have plenty of parking room at my place nw of georgetown. I'm a little over an hour from the start. Anybody is welcome.

I plan on going to johnson city the night before and camp at my buddies place. there is lots of room there. its only about 30 min from the start and 20 min from the finish. He has 20+ acres. I also have plenty of parking room at my place nw of georgetown. I'm a little over an hour from the start. Anybody is welcome.

I may take you up on the offer of a camp site. Looks like I'll be riding up on Friday and home on Monday. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

Getting off work Saturday morning in Kerrville. Love to catch up, but I can't download the maps. Lil help would be great.

Maybe even just to catch everyone in the evening. I live here.

The park is really great and there's several great places for food and beverages.

...I can't download the maps. Lil help would be great.

Can you give us more information or be more specific? Using Google Chrome I just ran a check by clicking on both links. Both gps files downloaded to my computer and I was able to open them in Mapsource.

I'm having to use my iPad. I can copy them and download them into chrome, but it keeps telling me that I don't have an app to read the map. This is why I'm a Firefighter....

I'm only about one step ahead of you. but I can tell you that you will need a program such as Mapsource or Basecamp to open the files in. I found a free download for Basecamp somewhere for Windows, but I don't remember how I got to it. I don't know nuthin about Apple. There are some other alternatives too, but I'll leave that for an Apple guy with real GPS knowledge to explain. Good Luck.

I'm having to use my iPad. I can copy them and download them into chrome, but it keeps telling me that I don't have an app to read the map. This is why I'm a Firefighter....

You need a program that opens and reads gps files. Imagine trying to open an Excel file without having Excel installed on your computer. Or a Word doc without Word installed on your computer. Or trying to browse the internet with Powerpoint. In each case you wouldn't be successful because the file and the software program don't work together.

Basecamp is the free Garmin program that you can download to open and work with gps files. However, you will also need to have a map installed and Basecamp does not come with a map. Basecamp is free so Garmin makes their money selling gps devices and maps. Sort of like the shaving companies will often give you the razor but you have to buy the blades. Garmin will give you Basecamp knowing you still have to buy a gps and a map.

Last edited:
You need a program that opens and reads gps files. Imagine trying to open an Excel file without having Excel installed on your computer. Or a Word doc without Word installed on your computer. Or trying to browse the internet with Powerpoint. In each case you wouldn't be successful because the file and the software program don't work together.

Basecamp is the free Garmin program that you can download to open and work with gps files. However, you will also need to have a map installed and Basecamp does not come with a map. Basecamp is free so Garmin makes their money selling gps devices and maps. Sort of like the shaving companies will often give you the razor but you have to buy the blades. Garmin will give you Basecamp knowing you still have to buy a gps and a map.

If you have internet access on the iPad you can run Furkot.com in a browser. It will read the gpx files.

This must be my problem. I have Basecamp and when i send the routes of this trip to my device i cannot find them when i turn the device on...(?). i downloaded Garmin Express which i thought would update the map in my device so it would work but idk.. maybe im still missing something

This must be my problem. I have Basecamp and when i send the routes of this trip to my device i cannot find them when i turn the device on...(?). i downloaded Garmin Express which i thought would update the map in my device so it would work but idk.. maybe im still missing something

What is "my device" - which model GPS are we talking about?

on my garmin 62st, the routes dont follow the roads but as in the rundown, the tracks do
any suggestions? or how can i view them as tracks and not routes?

I'm electronically challenged. So I will be following somebody. Ride with y'all on Saturday and pick up my Tshirt. I'll send PayPal.

I'd like to take you up on that TGTUMBLEWEED. Maybe stay over Sunday night too (if that's okay) depending on the time of day and how I feel when we finish. I don't have to be to work until late afternoon Monday.

I've got a room with twin beds at the Best Western in Kerrville if somebody wants to split a room. $55 pays your half.

Just have to decide now between the Wee and DRZ. :shrug:

Riders,

If you want a Top Adventure t-shirt please get your order in now. The cutoff is Thursday, May 12.

Last edited:
I'd like to take you up on that TGTUMBLEWEED. Maybe stay over Sunday night too (if that's okay) depending on the time of day and how I feel when we finish. I don't have to be to work until late afternoon Monday.

I've got a room with twin beds at the Best Western in Kerrville if somebody wants to split a room. $55 pays your half.

Just have to decide now between the Wee and DRZ. :shrug:

I'm not 100% sure if i'll be at my place by nw of Georgetown or at my friends place by Johnson city. I will post up when it gets closer. But either place has plenty of free parking and camping room.
later taters,

Anybody interested in some off-pavement drills for a few hours this weekend as prep for the ride? It has been a while for me since I have been on unpaved roads and I would like to do some drills from list of BMW Offroad school.

I am in South Austin.

Riders,

I am placing the order for the Top Adventure t-shirts with my printer this evening. Please get your order to me today if you want a shirt.

The Best Western in Blanco is booked up. Had to go to the Swiss Lodge.
Kerrville is open.

I just canceled my reservations at Swiss Lodge- Blanco & Best Western - Kerrville.

I'm out for the ride. We are still cleaning up from water in the house 4/18. Y'all have a good time.

Anyone need a non smoking roommate for Friday and Saturday night?

I will be heading that way Thursday evening to stay in Austin. I'll wander out to Blanco Friday.

Anyone need a non smoking roommate for Friday and Saturday night?

I will be heading that way Thursday evening to stay in Austin. I'll wander out to Blanco Friday.

Scott, if you can get the room at the Swiss Lodge for Friday night I already have a twin bed in Kerrville with no roommate. What say you?

Gang, I am thinking about trying this, it would be my first "overnight" trip where I have to haul a change of clothes which really doesn't amount to much since I will ride in the same gear both days and I will stay in a hotel.

I don't have any gear bags or hangers so I will have to stash a change of undies, socks and a toothbrush in my camelback.

Should be fun !!!

Back