• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shinko 705 tires

Reaction score
First Name
David
I've used 4 sets of Shinko tires in my motorcycling life. 3 sets on my KLR. A set of 705s and 2 sets of 244s. I stopped using them because the rear tire of that last set of 244s developed a serious problem on a trip (deknobifaction).

Last December I was shopping for new tires and I saw they now made them for my BMW. I never had a problem with the 705s and so I was lured back in by the low price.

So I mount them in the spring and have used them for several day trips without problem. Now I'm on a big trip (for me) to Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana, and Utah. I've noticed an unusual vibration/hum/feeling when leaned into turns. I wrote it off as funny pavement. Examining the tires showed nothing. However, at a stop yesterday I noticed odd wear patterns in the rear.

fe49c5ce79facd56873710fb06af11f0.jpg

I had planned on riding some more that day, but I was close to my stopping point, so I ended the ride then.

It appears that there are 5-6 hernias between the blocks. If you push on those spots, they're soft and squishy.

Anyway, I think I'll be using other brands of tires in the future. Probably back to the Continentals. Maybe try the TKC 70 for the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you caught it before something bad happened. The rear on my BMW follows road tar snakes. Noticed it really pronounced in Colorado last year.

Last edited:
I have the same history with 705's . My front tire has a vibration and it hops. I'm not going to use them anymore . We have lots of choices . I also dkt go thru tires as mmmuch as I used to.

David
I am about done with my first set of Mitas E07 s. With about 11k miles now, the rear still has at least a couple of thousand left. First time I've ever had a rear outlast the front. Very stable on gravel and pavement and not terribly noisy.

I had a 705 bust a belt or whatever is inside of them and have a picture somewhere of it. I second the Mitas E07 (dakar) tires and won`t run anything else myself.

+2, +3 and +4 for Mitas Dakar tires. Good compromise performance dirt/pavement, tough as nails (near run flat) and NOTHING gives me more miles so runaway best overall value for me. I go through a few sets annually.
cf6bf34bbfa31a0244bb1bce93c7e72e.jpg
aa5e164716460714c5c12348774c0d12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

David, are those the radials or the non-radials? I have a radial one on the rear of my GSA and bias on the front, but I know for the big bikes you can get either for the front and rear.

how much for the generator ?

My brother's but could possibly be for sale soon. Harbor Freight but the biggest 8,500 model. Never used, only started and ran a few times.
David, are those the radials or the non-radials? I have a radial one on the rear of my GSA and bias on the front, but I know for the big bikes you can get either for the front and rear.
Bias ply, I believe all Dakar versions are bias ply.

E-07 Dakar in Adv bike sizes are 4 ply sidewall, 4 ply tread.

I get 15-17k miles front, 10-12k miles rear. That is on a heavy Tenere 600-700 lbs depending on loaded up or naked.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Just went in the garage and checked. The Shinko's are radial on the rear. Didn't check the front.

I'm not sure it should matter. This is a manufacturing defect, IMHO. If you can't make a bias ply tire correctly, are you going to be able to produce a radial correctly?

I've used many different brands of tires, and the only brand that has given me problems are the Shinko.

Last edited:
I was wondering if they delaminated there because of more flex from the bias ply tires and was hoping the radials would be better. I'll keep a closer eye on mine. Thanks for checking.

I have a set of Full Bore on my GS that looks a lot like the Shinko. The back tire went 8,000 miles before I replaced it with another while the front has a lot of tread left beyond 12,000 miles. Both are radial, and I suspect the carcass is stiffer than the Shinko. In the first two thousand miles the front started to wear the corners of the tread blocks to a point that I could feel feedback at low speed. It got to a certain point and stopped wearing the corners and as the main blocks wore down to match the feedback has gone away. If you liked the Shinko handling when it was new then the Full Bore could be an option.

I had no complaints about how the tires handled. I might check out the full bores.

I've used Shinko 805s on the rear of my 1200 GS without issue. I've never come close to getting 10K out of ANY rear tire... EVER. About the best I have ever done is around 5K, I think with either a Tourance or Anakee. I just don't know how folks get that kind of mileage from a rear tire!! :shrug: Heck, I am happy if I get 3.5-4K from a rear and maybe 5-6K from a front.

Back