• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW R1200 GSA Opinions

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
I know it very dangerous for me to be looking at GSAs for sale, but I feel into abyss tonight. I found a really nice one on a forum that is highly tempting, except the money of course.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of current and former BMW GSA owners about them. Specifically a 2012+ R1200 GSA. I'd probably have to sell the Wee that I Love in order to afford it. And we'd have to delay some other purchases. But the bug is gnawing.

Not trying to make this a Wee vs BMW, just wanting some thoughts and opinions on the BMW.

Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That is a Camhead version, so dry clutch, oil cooled. Uses a special shim (that is easy to swap) for adjusting valves, but are know to hold adjustment well. Has 5 more hp than my 09. Stock height or lowered? If I remember right, you aren't quite as tall as I am? I'm 6'. It is a tall bike, but aftermarket shocks bring it right down. If you are close in height, you'll be fine.

The 1200GSA will eat up miles on a trip. No cruise control though. If it has factory panniers and topbox then they will be keyed to match the bike which is nice. Don't let final drive horror stories scare you. There is an outer seal you need to watch for leaks. When it does, you replace it. Basic maintenance and far less work than taking care of a chain. If you ignore it and it leaks too much fluid then you are headed for a failure. Clutches are good for 100k. Driveshafts from 30k to 100k, but expect it around 80k miles or so. The GSA will have tubeless wire rims which are pretty tough.

It will haul a lot of camera gear on a trip, that I can personally attest to. :-)

If you don't want to buy one don't ride one. I know of one that might be for sale here in Houston. I'd offer you to ride mine but it has three wheels now.

8a509348653fcd3b307de2c87c299d52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:tab You will not miss the Wee Strom if you start riding a GSA. I promise you. I had a 650 Strom, an 1150 GS, and am on my second 1200 GS. I have also ridden GSAs. The Strom is a great bike in its price range. The GS/A is just a whole other experience though. This is especially true if you are hauling a lot of gear and/or a passenger!

My daughter and I in Utah on my 07 1200 GS.
P1080766.jpg

:tab We were riding super twisty paved mountain roads and some fairly challenging dirt roads in the mountains. I would NEVER have even attempted this trip on my V-Strom even though it had the same basic setup for luggage. The bike simply lacks the needed power, suspension, and brakes. Solo might have been doable. But the GS just ate it all up like it was nothing (except this one mud section... :wary:).

:tab If you are not wanting to spend a ton of money, there is an 02 and an 04 1150 GS for sale here on TWT right now, both of which are very nice. The drawback to the 1150s is that they are significantly heavier than the 1200s. Height issues can be dealt with by lowering suspension and also a custom seat that sits a bit lower. The GS/As also have two height settings for their stock seats. I have a 34" inseam and ride with my seats on the high setting. I like the extra bit of leg room and reaching the ground is not a problem for me. The older GS/A have screw/tappet valve adjusters. My 07 1200 also has them. I think they went to the shims in 2010? Anyway, screw/tappet adjusters require no parts to adjust. Just slip in the feeler gauge, adjust, secure the nut, and you are good to go. It is real easy to do. With shims, you always have to buy them once you figure out which size you need. So unless you have a lot of sizes on hand, you will have to get into the heads to check clearances, order shims, wait for them, and get back in the head to swap them if you have buttoned it back up in the mean time. Otherwise you aren't riding while waiting for the new shims. SOME dealerships might swap your shim for the right size if they have them on hand, but don't count on that.

The GSA (have had one since '06) is the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles.

IMHO the best stackable bike for adventure travel due to the 3 aluminum panniers (stupid word for boxes) on top of which you can strap more stuff. Great for camping or carrying a ton of necessary gear (you define necessary).

It is NOT a great off road bike due to the weight. Yes, there are "GS Can Do" threads and the GS got its start with McGregor/Boorman, but it is a poor choice for serious off road riding UNLESS you have mad skills. I was on Imogene pass two weeks ago on my KTM 500 and a guy blitzed by me in a pack of riders who were all skilled - he was on a GSA and make it look like he was on a bike 1/3 the weight. Unless you are that rider do not take this bike on serious class 2+/3 roads. The other point to be made is anyone who takes a bike with metal boxes behind their legs off road should be on a first name basis with an orthopedic surgeon because you're going to drop the bike and those boxes are going to snap your fibula. Serious off road riders have bikes with soft luggage for a reason.

It is a GREAT highway bike, and the new waterboxers have cruise control, and all of the other beefed up parts that make it great. In Mexico, the power of the bike in the mountains when passing slow diesel semis is a life saver.

I like long distance Mexico/Guatemala travel on this bike and also I love it for camping/exploring. I have never had a serious mechanical with it but then again I do regular preventive maintenance.

GSA's are the best bike ever, better than anything else ever made! (sarcasm :D)

Honestly though I love my GSA, its the best bike for me. I will warn you though, DO NOT go test ride a oil head and liquid cooled GSA on the same day. When I was in the market I went to test ride a oil cooled GSA with full intent on buying one; the sales guy rode a new LC GSA behind me on the test ride. When we got a few miles out, he talked me into swapping bikes. I ended up taking the new LC GSA home, it was a night and day difference. :rider:

I haven't looked back since. :D

The two things that made me sell my 05 R1200GS was the lack of cruise control and a dry clutch.

But it was a tough check to write to pay the price for a 14+ LC GS/A. Wound up with a sweet deal on a KTM 1290 SA.

That aside ...

I stopped riding a 1200RT when I bought the GS. Put a decent saddle on it and you can chew up some miles. I found gravel roads to be a non-issue. However rocks and steep terrain was another story. Maybe with better tires more suited, it would have been a different story.

The aftermarket support is unbelievable and there is always something used being sold for the OC version of the GS.

I wouldn't be riding the KTM if the 05 had cruise and a wet clutch.

The two things that made me sell my 05 R1200GS was the lack of cruise control and a dry clutch.

But it was a tough check to write to pay the price for a 14+ LC GS/A. Wound up with a sweet deal on a KTM 1290 SA.

That aside ...

I stopped riding a 1200RT when I bought the GS. Put a decent saddle on it and you can chew up some miles. I found gravel roads to be a non-issue. However rocks and steep terrain was another story. Maybe with better tires more suited, it would have been a different story.

The aftermarket support is unbelievable and there is always something used being sold for the OC version of the GS.

I wouldn't be riding the KTM if the 05 had cruise and a wet clutch.
Reviving because the bug has me.

We're looking at the 2014+ R1200GSA as a 3rd household bike. This would be used if we took a 1 bike trip and went 2 up.

The question is.... Would this work for 2 up for us and clothes and camping gear? I've looked online and don't get a real comfort level for info.

If you had 2 up at 205 lb and 235 lb plus tent, 2 sleeping bags and clothes for 7 days, would it work?

I know if we get 1 1200 GSA now and only 1 could ride we'd end up with a second within a year for the other. And i don't have the budget inclination for that now.

If y'all think that 2up plus gear is crazy, I'll walk away a happy camper either way.

Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I never rode 2-up.

400lbs of rider and 100lbs of gear would probably be on the outside of the suspension's useful range. Ohlins made a HUGE difference. And you would definitely need a different saddle for the pillion.

I rented a 17 GSA when I visited my daughter in Seattle. It was eye opening.
The bike felt so small. I felt "squished" behind the tank. I don't know if the addition of a radiator and placement or something else, but it was nowhere near as comfortable as my 05 GS.
I asked for a normal height bike and the seat in the high position, but never confirmed it.
The motor was awesome. Balance was great. Clutch was smooth. Same old clunky transmission.

While its a tough check to write, I highly recommend renting one for a weekend to make sure it works for you.

Last edited:
I don’t think you would fit comfortably with all your gear and bags. Sarah and I were a bit cramped and I had my camel bak on. She could not wear hers and still have room between me and the top case. Both of you and camping gear would definitely be pushing the outer limit of what the suspension could handle. You could probably do it if you had to, but I don’t think you’d want to go very far.

Thanks to everyone for the input. The bug is there. Jay has told me to get one if I want one the only stipulation is I wait for him every gas fill-up on the GSA since he would have to do 2 for every 1 :rofl:. He's happy with his Wee.

If I happen upon a REALLY REALLY REALLY good buy on a water cooled GSA then I will explore further. But for now I'm going to stick to the Wee.

If I were you, I'd get a test ride on both the regular GS and the GSA.

Unless you plan to ride to Prudhoe Bay, there really aren't that many places where you will need the extra sized gas tank. It's just more weight. Also, I think the GSA sits a little higher than the standard GS. Both of these factors can make getting the bike off the side stand a chore for someone that can't reach the ground well. Having it loaded down with luggage only compounds the problem. Add a slight slope to where you park and you will have to push the bike to a more level spot before you can climb aboard.

Of course, if the aesthetics of the GSA appeal to you more than the regular GS, that's really all you may care about ;-) I am not a big fan of the body work on the regular water cooled GS.

Back