• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EarthX batteries

dalej

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Bought one two and a half years ago to start a 2004 KTM 525. It started the bike well and I was very pleased. Also purchased the expensive special charger. It recently failed to start the bike. Voltage it will charge to is 13.4 but not enough amps to turn the motor over for more than a few seconds.

Contacted the company and they told me that the battery will now start a small dirt bike but not mine and offered a 20 percent discount on a new one.

Just wanted to share my experience as I had previously praised the product and company.

Last edited:
Bought one two and a half years ago to start a 2004 KTM 525. It started the bike well and I was very pleased. Also purchased the expensive special charger. It recently failed to start the bike. Voltage it will charge to is 13.4 but not enough amps to turn the motor over for more than a few seconds.

Contacted the company and they told me that the battery will now start a small dirt bike but not mine and offered a 20 percent discount on a new one.

Just wanted to share my experience as I had previously praised the product and company.

What model battery did you install 2.5 years ago?
Is it the recommended size battery today? Or something smaller?

That it worked is not the same as it being the correct and recommended size.
If you have a failed battery and are looking for a replacement and the suggested replacement is a larger size battery, I completely understand the company saying what they did.

Additionally, what is it you wanted from them on a 2.5 year old battery ?

EarthX, Inc. (Manufacturer) warrants its ETX lithium batteries (hereafter referred to as Battery or Batteries) to be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of two years. EarthX, Inc. warrants the ETZ lithium batteries and the EarthX Jump Pack to be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1 year

I have one, and it has been great. The battery starts the Gixxer well, and is small and light to boot. Additionally, the EarthX battery doesn't need a special charger, as the circuitry to equalize the cells is onboard. I bought the EarthX for that very reason. I have been very pleased with it's performance. On my DR-Z, even with the Big Battery Kit I have issues from time to time (big bore, no compression release) but it still works. It has an AGM battery, I killed a couple before I installed the big kit. The current one is a few years old.
I find the EarthX to stay charged very well, and remember if it is cold, let it crank once or twice to get heat in it so it will perform properly. Google up Li-Fe batteries and you will find a wealth of information.
Sorry that you had bad luck, sir.

Edit: I read up on the Optimate charger and the EarthX battery, it seems it only charges to 13.6 VDC, maybe you just need to maintain it a little more? Having looked hard at it based on your issues, I believe I will purchase a new maintainer for my EarthX bike. Thanks

Edit of the edit: Ordered my Optimate Charger, woo hoo!

Last edited:
Earth X is a USA company(Colorado)--batteries are designed and built here. I have had four Earth X batteries now, along with an Anti Gravity Lithium and a Chinese Lithium (one Chinese company makes most all the different Lithium batteries, and my conversations with Earth X confirmed this as well.

Here is how I see it. I am all in on the USA design and manufacture, as long as it makes sense. I am not rich, and I have half a dozen motorcycles I maintain along with several ATVs and a side by side. I love Lithium batteries on my race bikes because of the weight, and I love them on my other toys because they hold a charge forever and need very little maintenance.

Earth X batteries are 2X the cost of the Chinese batteries. I initially did not care because I figured I would get 2X the life out of them since Earth X was a better-built battery with built in circuitry to protect over from severe discharge and also overcharging (which are the two things that will kill a LiPo battery fast).

That has not proven to be the case. The Earth X batteries are no more robust than a good Chinese LiPo, and the warranties are the same too.

I had several conversations with Earth X, who are really good about responding to emails, which I appreciate. My feedback for them was that I was done for now with purchasing their products because they were costing me 2X the expense for the same performance and life span I could get for half the purchase price.

I did not ask for a discount or anything, as my Earth X batteries have always made it past the warranty expiration (two years) but barely. I can't justify $170 for a battery in my 450 SX that only last that long. I hated to do it, but I replaced my failed Earth X with a good Chinese Lipo and have had zero issues, and don't expect to.

My experience was pretty much the same as Johnf3. I installed the battery they recommended. I did not expect anything from them other than to confirm that 2 and half years is about all you will get from their battery so that I do not make that mistake again.

Model was ETX12A. I am glad most items last much longer than their warranty.

Last edited:
Johnf3, where are you getting your reliable chinese lipo batteries?

Thanks

Johnf3, where are you getting your reliable chinese lipo batteries?

Thanks

I have only tried one long term, and it was a WPS--Western Power Sport, that has been in my old 520 that gets ridden maybe two times a year, It is a spare bike. That battery is several years old. The last Earth X that failed, in my 450 SX (no kick start back up) was replaced with a Tusk Lithium, from RMATVMC. It has a two year warranty same as Earth X. I have only had it three weeks but is works fine and started my bike last weekend sub-freezing without issue.

It appears WPS, BikeMaster, and Tusk are the same battery. The guys at Earth X said this as well when I was talking to them last week.

My Husaberg that got stolen had an Anti Gravity Lithium (USA) that was close to five years old that was still going. Otherwise, except for the WPS I have always been on board with Earth X. I will give them another try as soon as they improve their product or their warranty to equal the expense of their product.

Back