• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aerostich Help Requested

Reaction score
I am wanting to purchase an Aerostich Darien Jacket, but before I pull the trigger on something that costs as much as they do (I know that the quality is there), I would like to see one and touch one in person. If you own a jacket from Aerostich and my post has not sent you running, I would love to meet up and check out your jacket.

Thanks in advance,

Rexford

Oh yeah....... I live in the DFW area and would be willing to ride to a location you are comfortable with.

C'mon guys...... I promise that I'm not wanting to watch you try it on. Cue the 1970's jazz.... Brown chicken brown cow...... :trust:

Rexford

My Aerostich Darien is 17 yrs old and is in Mexico with me as we speak. If I had to make an Aerostich purchase decision today, I would try the Darien Light. My Darien is too bulky and not very comfortable. The inner integrated grey liner that is part of the water proofing and the taped seams pretty much fell apart 10 years ago and it has leaked since. It needs periodic waterproofing on the shell as routine maintenance but then I guess most jackets need that also. Of my jacket assortment that I have had over the years it has never been my favorite.

I just bought a cheap KTM Pegscratch jacket and it is much more comfortable than the Darien. Only downside thus far is the lack of pockets, the Darien wins that contest hands down. Lots of choices out there today, good idea to try before you buy.

Good luck in your request and inquiry.

For me, aerostitch dropped off the list when they determined Anchorage has more rideable days than Austin.
May be why you're having trouble finding one in Texas. :shrug:

http://www.aerostich.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/4162_ridable_days_map-2.jpg
4162_ridable_days_map-2.jpg

You can ride out to East Texas and handle my Roadcrafter if you'd like. :)

By the way, I wear it year 'round unless I'm puttering around town. In that case, I wear my Tecnik jacket and ALMOST all the gear all the time/

Last edited:
I have Darien pants that I bought from an inmate on ADV. I like them a lot. They zip all the way up on both sides and are easy on off. Their weakness is their armor. If I had to do it again I would.

I have a Klim badlands jacket which I would highly recommend.

Rexford,

Unless you're really wanting a new Darien, I'd suggest looking around on the various forums for a used one (several advertised on Adventure Rider at present). I bought a Darien jacket and pants new for myself and my wife back in 1998 and then had 3 (used) one-piece Roadcrafter suits bought off of various forums and now have a pair of (used) AD-1 pants.
Currently have a used Klim Latitude Misano jacket that I bought off of Adventure Rider at a substantial savings compared to the cost of a new one (no longer in production) and consider it IMO to be a better jacket than the Darien.

Last edited:
My roadcrafter is 20 years old and I've put it through everything but a fall on the highway - knock on wood. It's good until 90 degrees or so, then switch to mesh, which really isn't much cooler but mentally it makes you think it is. Both are hot if you're not moving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Roadcrafter Light. Not as warm as the original heavier version but works better for me. I've been comfortable from the high teens to the upper 80's wearing it. I'm easy on gear but other than the hi-viz patches getting stained it shows very little wear and tear (7-8 years old if memory serves me correctly).

I have Darien pants that I bought from an inmate on ADV. I like them a lot. They zip all the way up on both sides and are easy on off. Their weakness is their armor. If I had to do it again I would.

I have a Klim badlands jacket which I would highly recommend.

:tab I have the KLIM Badlands jacket and pants. I love the jacket, even when it is hot. It vents VERY well. I have a Motoport Air Mesh II Kevlar jacket/pant suit as well. I find that when it starts getting really hot, like 95 and up. The KLIM is actually more comfortable. Both are hot if you are stopped. However, once moving, the KLIM flows enough air that even at low speeds it is comfortable. In fact, since I got the Badlands suit, I rarely wear the mesh anymore.

:tab My beef with the KLIM is the pants. The knee armor moves all over the place and I think it needs better coverage for side impacts rather than just straight onto the knee cap. Also, I wish the pants had full length zippers, or at least up to the crotch. My Motoport pants have a full length zipper up the inside of the right leg and the left comes up to the crotch. This makes it very easy to put on and take off the pants without removing my dirt boots. With the Badlands, I have to put on the pants first and then the boots, or take off the boots first and then remove the pants. When camping, I don't always want to have to remove the boots just to put on or take off the pants. However, if they did better knee armor, I could live with the zippers as is.

:tab I've worn my Badlands gear in 105+ temps here in East Texas and I was comfortable, as long as I was moving. A BIG factor in comfort will be what you wear under your gear. Jeans are going to be pretty hot no matter what. I like the moisture wicking under layers that pull sweat away from the skin. Then, when any wind passes over these layers, the sweat evaporates and feels very cool, even at low speeds. Of course, this is not real practical for commuting where you need to be dressed like a normal person when you reach your destination. If you are doing that, an Aerostich or something similar will be best because it will go over regular clothes the easiest.

:tab I have the KLIM Badlands jacket and pants. I love the jacket, even when it is hot. It vents VERY well. I have a Motoport Air Mesh II Kevlar jacket/pant suit as well. I find that when it starts getting really hot, like 95 and up. The KLIM is actually more comfortable. Both are hot if you are stopped. However, once moving, the KLIM flows enough air that even at low speeds it is comfortable. In fact, since I got the Badlands suit, I rarely wear the mesh anymore.

:tab My beef with the KLIM is the pants. The knee armor moves all over the place and I think it needs better coverage for side impacts rather than just straight onto the knee cap. Also, I wish the pants had full length zippers, or at least up to the crotch. My Motoport pants have a full length zipper up the inside of the right leg and the left comes up to the crotch. This makes it very easy to put on and take off the pants without removing my dirt boots. With the Badlands, I have to put on the pants first and then the boots, or take off the boots first and then remove the pants. When camping, I don't always want to have to remove the boots just to put on or take off the pants. However, if they did better knee armor, I could live with the zippers as is.

:tab I've worn my Badlands gear in 105+ temps here in East Texas and I was comfortable, as long as I was moving. A BIG factor in comfort will be what you wear under your gear. Jeans are going to be pretty hot no matter what. I like the moisture wicking under layers that pull sweat away from the skin. Then, when any wind passes over these layers, the sweat evaporates and feels very cool, even at low speeds. Of course, this is not real practical for commuting where you need to be dressed like a normal person when you reach your destination. If you are doing that, an Aerostich or something similar will be best because it will go over regular clothes the easiest.

Thanks Scott, that is consistent with many of the reviews I have read. I will pass on the pants.

One of my favorite features of the aerostich pants is how quickly you can get them off after a long day of riding. Their armor is comedy gold in terms of utility. I am usually wear knee/shin guards underneath with a pair of LD Comfort shorts.

I will often wear the KLIM jacket with the Motoport Air Mesh II pants. The BIG issue though is that I HATE having to mess with rain liners/outers. I love being able to just close a few zippers and keep on riding. Also, when traveling light on my KTM, it is nice not having to pack extra rain gear that takes up valuable space. So I would REALLY like it if KLIM stepped up their game with the pants!

Aerostitch for sale, due to my authritis i cannot get into it.
44reg, very good condition.
$600

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 411
What KTM are you riding?

I got a 2010 KTM 530 EXC back in November of 2011. I got tired of beating myself to death on the KLR :-P Here's a shot of it from a few weeks ago... Somewhere in Wyoming...

c8eb2a8e344fe515f75180c9064d54e5.jpg

We saw heavy rain, cold temps, HOT temps, and some iffy conditions on this trip. I wore the Badlands jacket/pants and they were awesome for all the various conditions (except for me forgetting to zip up the leg vents when it REALLY started coming down :doh: :huh2:)

I'm late to the party but I have the jacket and pants
They are older models but new to me and I love them.
I'm up in Denton and your welcome to swing by sometime and take a look.

I have Darien Lite jacket and the AD1 Lite pants. Also have RoadCrafter 2 piece suit. I’m just north of Austin.

I bought a Darien years ago. At the time I thought it was the best. Because of its age along with the zipper not working and seams inside coming apart I bought a used Kilimanjaro jacket on ebay. I believe the Kilimanjaro jacket is a lot more jacket for the money (new or used in may case.) Just my opinion. Ken in Katy.

I bought a Darien years ago. At the time I thought it was the best. Because of its age along with the zipper not working and seams inside coming apart I bought a used Kilimanjaro jacket on ebay. I believe the Kilimanjaro jacket is a lot more jacket for the money (new or used in may case.) Just my opinion. Ken in Katy.

I was wearing a Kilimanjaro jacket when I went down at around 70mph on pretty rough chip seal pavement. I slid for a LONG time and did a little tumbling along the way. The jacket was toast. However, it did its job. I had no rash or bruising on my upper body. It was also a COLD and wet day. I was quite comfy prior to hitting the ground... I probably would have bought another except for the fact that I came into a good bit of money and decided to go with the custom fit MotoPort Air Mesh Kevlar stuff.

I also have the MotoPort Air Mesh suit. While they are great to wear for protection in warm weather, the mesh doesn’t doesn’t keep warm in cold weather. The Aerostich on the other hand is quite an antiquated design with a list of useless features like the Velcro’s and excess pockets that you could not delete. It also has one of the worst venting systems of any modern riding suit. It does have great basic design, protection, and workmanship. It is my go to gear for cool weather. I wear it more than the air mesh as I generally prefer to ride in cooler weather.

Last edited:
Back