• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ear plugs recommendations?

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
Just wanted to see what the earplug recommendations are out there. I use some standard disposable ones that last about a week when I ride to work every day. I would like something that lasts longer and easier to clean.
Thanks

Michael

Surefire Sonic Defenders.

Throw away foamies are great and can sometimes be cheaper in the long run.

I've used everything from cheap foamies to 200 dollar custom molded ear plugs. I usually wind up right back at the cheap foamies. The money I spent on different types of ear plugs could have bought me a half lifetime supply of ear plugs at this point lol.

If I'm not wearing cheap foamies I have those sonic defenders in because they have filters in them that allow some semblance of normal communication while blocking out higher dB sounds, which I need at work. And if I want to run ear buds for music or podcasts I'm running sound isolating ear buds, which are basically ear buds with foamies lol.

Last edited:
I've used these for the past 12 years mainly because of the 34NRR rating and the all day/all night comfort. They are NOT supposed to go inside the ear canal, so easier to clean if done right.
http://earplugsonline.com/

Just wanted to see what the earplug recommendations are out there. I use some standard disposable ones that last about a week when I ride to work every day. I would like something that lasts longer and easier to clean.
Thanks

Michael
I used to have custom plugs, but when I lost one last year I went to the walmart gun dept and bought three pair of plastic ear plugs (in one package) for about $7 if I recall. These work just as well as the custom earplugs.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I just find it easier and cheaper to use disposable plugs. I had some custom plugs made a few years ago for shooting (had a friend that made them, so I got them cheap), but after I lost one of them, I just said forget it and use cheapies.

I have been using these Howard Leight Ll1 Earplugs for the past 3 years. They are very comfortable, even after many hours in the ear (I sleep with them also).
Great for sleeping, bike riding, shooting, even in regular car trips.
I get about 7-9 uses till they don't expand correctly anymore.
I still have half a bag left.

Another for disposables.
Keep a couple of spares on the bike or in a jacket pocket. I try not to lose them but sometimes I'll drop one on the ground and not want to put it back in my ear.

Find disposables that work for you and order them online by the box, like 100 pairs. Super cheap so dont have to clean them, just throw them out.

I use them riding, operating power tools, on airplanes and in noisy hotel rooms for a better nights sleep.

Take extras for your buddy in case he loses one of his expensive molded plugs.

FWIW I like 3m neons, but what matters is the brand/type that fits your ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'll stick with foamies. Not hearing many believers in high dollar options.
Thanks for the input.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Order a sampler pack. My biggest issue with earplugs is fitment. If they don't stay in my ear when I put a helmet on, they are worthless.

I think I'll stick with foamies. Not hearing many believers in high dollar options.
Thanks for the input.
I think they offer the highest DB reduction and they're cheap to use and replace if you by in bulk. I prefer the E.A.RSOFT "yellow neon blasts" that come in individually wrapped pairs - 200 pairs to the box.

I'm sold on these Howard Leight MAX. I believe they offer the highest NRR seal and I buy the ones with the blue cord. Then I cut the cord about 2 inches from earplug which provides an easy way to extract them from my ears.

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3BH5wcsrvAEcjJO-hkIN_wvhJO5SY7iswSQZtgdj4_ed436xknbtthOcrWqcY6_N9STDZgqQ&usqp=CAc.jpg

I'm sold on these Howard Leight MAX. I believe they offer the highest NRR seal and I buy the ones with the blue cord. Then I cut the cord about 2 inches from earplug which provides an easy way to extract them from my ears.

View attachment 48832

I have been using these forever. Work at the power plant, work on the bike very well. Still have a pretty good supply. I buy them by the box.

I also like the Howard Leight Laser Lights - corded so I don't lose 'em all the time. I buy them a box at a time and use them for the bike, yardwork, shooting etc. They are very soft and don't irritate my ears.

I'll swim against the current here...

As some of you know, my rides tend to be 18 - 36 hours long and the disposables irritated my ears after about 12 hours. I have NOT had any similar issues since I went to these: https://earplugsonline.com/

db_file_img_232_457xauto.jpg

They mold to the interior of my ears, they do a great job of blocking noise, and they don't irritate my ears. The cost is well worth it to me.

I'm a pilot... so hearing protection is near and dear to my heart.

I used to wear the foamies religiously for years... after all, they were cheap (I get them for free from my airline), and in abundance. But... after 8+ hour days on the bike... they do tend to feel uncomfortable from the expansion pressure. Also... in addition to the road & wind noise, they muted my music/intercoms quite a bit.

About 2 years ago... I switched over to Ear Peace.

Ear Peace.jpg

They are so much more comfortable than the foamies because they don't rely on pressure to block out the noise. They are easy to clean, easy to put in and take out, and they come with 3 different internal filters so you can customize the amount of sound you want coming in.

I use the medium filter which blocks a lot of the road & wind noise, but allows my music & intercom sounds to come through clearly.

I still carry foamies around for my buddies that need some... but for my hearing and comfort, I made the switch.

EarPeace.com said:
EarPeace M ear plugs are purpose built to make your next ride or motorsports event more comfortable and enjoyable. Perfect for cutting the wind noise and you can still hear the comms under your helmet. Maintain situational awareness.

GUARANTEED QUALITY, COMFORT & FIT
Our promise is simple and has remained the same for more than a decade - you will hear and feel better when you wear EarPeace. We stand by our products 100%. If you don't have an excellent experience with EarPeace, please let us know. If we can't resolve the issue, just return your order for a full refund, no further questions asked.

Those seem nice, but only have a NRR of 19, the foamy orange ones I use have a NRR of 33. Are you sure they are comfortable enough to sacrifice the protection? Probably not bad for riding, but in the shop I would prefer the higher NRR. YMMV

Last edited:
Hearos Xtreme - I have been using them for many years. I am not into clearning earplugs. and at 27 cents a pair which lasts up to week, I am happy. A box of 100 pairs lasts me for a long time.

Last edited:
I think ear plugs are different for each person. The main thing is find something that works and use it.

I'll swim against the current here...

As some of you know, my rides tend to be 18 - 36 hours long and the disposables irritated my ears after about 12 hours. I have NOT had any similar issues since I went to these: https://earplugsonline.com/

View attachment 48846

They mold to the interior of my ears, they do a great job of blocking noise, and they don't irritate my ears. The cost is well worth it to me.

Thanks for the link, i just ordered some

I wear these on my bike

129b74e44081de7a4bf2834861fc2e8c.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083E7T7C/?tag=twowhetex-20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the Howard Leigh’s (spelling) disposable. I buy them by the box from Amazon. But the expansion pressure does bother me after a few hours. I might try the wax ones. If I get anything expensive (custom molded ones) I’ll probably lose just 1 of them. 🙁. I sometimes use either the plugphones or Elgin Ruckus (a little more comfortable than the plugphones for me, but essentially the same thing). I’ll probably wait to hear Kevin’s thoughts on the wax ones before I pull the trigger.

Back