• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Balaclava recommendation

Reaction score
It's time for me to get one. Anyone have a recommendation of a good one? If it matters, I always wear glasses when I ride: either regular specs at night,or prescription sunglasses during the day.

Oh yeah. Also, I'm not gonna wear one that looks like a clown or some animal , so don't even go there!

I like the Freezeout brand from cycle gear. I use it with sunglasses and it fits fine.
Very warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this one,

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-klim-balaclava

Works great. I put in on BEFORE putting on my jacket so that the lower portion sits inside the jacket. It stops ALL of the wind. If I want, I can pull it up over my nose more like a ski mask or keep it down below my chin. It is not super thick, so it doesn't make my helmet too tight or hard to get on/off.

+1 for the Freeze Out from Cycle Gear. They carry a number of items (same brand name), usually displayed on a carousel near the counter. Items like the balaclava have a "retail" price of around $30-40, but they go on sale multiple times a year for $10. I have a Freeze Out balaclava, a couple of skull caps, and a pullover shirt for warmth.

Their glove liners are good, too. I keep 2 or 3 pairs around. Besides being the best glove liners I've personally tried, they're also great to wear in the car until the heater gets going. And I have a pair for cold weather jogging - they keep my hands reasonably warm down to around freezing temps, and they wick off moisture nicely, so my hands don't get all sweaty.

I've always used a silk "aviator" scarf. I wrap it around my neck prior to putting on the helmet and jacket, as stated earlier it seals the neck area, and it's thin enough that one layer stays beneath the chin strap to prevent any chafing. I can freely swivel my noggin, it absolutely blocks the wind and draft, and it looks cool with a leather jacket!

I wear it summer and winter - it's great protection from windburn and pesky stinging bugs in the summer ...

Downside is that it does nothing for helmet hair, but nothing short of a buzzcut will do that for me anyway...

I source mine through Aerostich and highly recommend it. I think the last one I bought was $30-35.

Dave.

Back