• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Working on a new workbench for the scooter shop

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Needed a stationary stronger workbench. HAd some 6X6 posts, so I added a couple of 2X12's, some carriage bolts, and an old saw my wife gave me.

20180203_1552171.jpg

20180203_1513351.jpg

20180203_1513261.jpg

20180203_1534471.jpg

20180203_1818591.jpg

20180203_1819051.jpg

20180203_1819481.jpg

20180203_1818511.jpg

Nice, I need to get to finishing workbench 2.0 for my garage. Too many other projects. I spent today hacking down the forest in the front flower garden, so that project is checked off, only 16 more to go. :(

Nice, I need to get to finishing workbench 2.0 for my garage. Too many other projects. I spent today hacking down the forest in the front flower garden, so that project is checked off, only 16 more to go. :(

When you run out of projects... you die ;-)

Finished her up this evening. Note to self. When your legs are 6X6 and the top sides are 2X12, you are not sliding that bottom piece of plywood in easily. So I took the top off and removed one of my 2X4s and dropped her in, then reassembled.

I really like this workbench. I am going to put it where I want it, and bolt it to the concrete.

20180208_1920281.jpg

2029_1518143098421.jpg

2027_1518142214739.jpg

orca-image-1518142165388.jpg_1518142170711.jpg

Very nice. That reminds me I need to build some shelves in my garage so I have somewhere to put all my tools. I built a coffee table years ago with 2x6 and 3/4 inch birch plywood for the top. After my wife and I moved into our house (we were renting when I made the table), I converted the coffee table to a workbench by just putting longer legs on it. One of the best things I have built so far.

I wanted to be able to set anything I could lift up there, on the thing. I had 4 8 foot 6X6's, and like I said, I bought 2X12's, but intended 2X6's. I believe it was a lucky accident.

Jasen it is perfect height for you and I.

I wanted to be able to set anything I could lift up there, on the thing. I had 4 8 foot 6X6's, and like I said, I bought 2X12's, but intended 2X6's. I believe it was a lucky accident.

Jasen it is perfect height for you and I.

So it's for the vertically challenged?:lol2:

Got a little oil and loctite on her this afternoon. Mitch came by after I had pushed her into place. I rode his Honda 650. I have to say, Wow! That is a riding the rear wheel shifting, stoppie doing sweet dirt bike.

I see you are a carpenter that turns the rings of the wood the correct way and crowns. Not many worry about this these days. Great job?

I see you are a carpenter that turns the rings of the wood the correct way and crowns. Not many worry about this these days. Great job?

I am honored by the comment, but frankly, I don't deserve it. My Mother's side of the family is Scots-Irish and full of carpenters and mechanics. Lots of bike riders. My Dad's side are all the OCD/Engineering/Accounting types. So, honestly, I had to put the crowns the right way or my OCD would not let me sleep. The sad part is that I remember my Aunt looking up and saying something was like 6 ft and a 16th or so. They cut the piece of wood and it was perfect.

It is good to inherit skills. Thanks again for claiming I am a carpenter, makes me smile.

P.S. I can roof, but plan to never do it again, I can do plumbing but would rather be beaten than do it and of course, I hate yard work. Which wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't moved to a place with 21 acres, fences, gates and washed out roads. I will get to see if I can be creative with a box blade soon.

I am honored by the comment, but frankly, I don't deserve it. My Mother's side of the family is Scots-Irish and full of carpenters and mechanics. Lots of bike riders. My Dad's side are all the OCD/Engineering/Accounting types. So, honestly, I had to put the crowns the right way or my OCD would not let me sleep. The sad part is that I remember my Aunt looking up and saying something was like 6 ft and a 16th or so. They cut the piece of wood and it was perfect.

It is good to inherit skills. Thanks again for claiming I am a carpenter, makes me smile.

P.S. I can roof, but plan to never do it again, I can do plumbing but would rather be beaten than do it and of course, I hate yard work. Which wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't moved to a place with 21 acres, fences, gates and washed out roads. I will get to see if I can be creative with a box blade soon.

Cribbing is the word that comes to mind. Nice work! Your right on the plumbing, finish up, turn the valve and ...bad words happen.

Great job on the workbench.

You guys don't get crazy about bench height. I set mine for 36-37" when I build. Shorties need good ergos too :lol2:

I love garage projects, whether they be working on the garage or something in the garage. Wish I had the space, 21x20 fills up fast.

Projects are awesome. I will post up about today's project in my shop thread.

Back