• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trade bike for another bike - what fees?

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
I know both owner will incur title transfer relayed fees.

What about sales tax for each

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last I remember, equal trade there are no sales tax.

When you transfer they (The county tax office) will assign it a value and tax upon that value, along with the transfer fee. Even if you lowball it they have their set values. On my Hawks it has usually come to about 130 to 160 bucks if I recall but its been a while since I registered a new one. About to do one soon though as soon as I can get the dang brakes bled.

Last edited:
When a purchase is made, the FMV tax is assigned. I'm not buying anything.
There is no sales price.

Form 130-U says $5 even trade tax.

It's presidents day or I would call.

I did this with my son, we traded cars.

Oh that isn't bad then. I've got to remember that when I do the title on my second Hawk since me and the previous owner did a fair trade.

I traded a Victory Cross Country for my current BMW GS. As Mitch stated, there was a $5 fee. The guy and I did sign duplicate pages stating that there was no money that changed hands just in case a tax office had an issue with our word. My tax office did ask for that paper when I mentioned it and made a copy for their records.

I was actually surprised at how well it worked. I was sure they were going to fight me to get their $800 worth of tax on a private trade.

I just had to pay for registration and transferred my personalized tags to the new bike.

Last edited:
Done the trade more than once. Five dollar fee and you are good. If you can arrange an even trade it works out best for everyone, especially those paying taxes.

Back