• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mitas E-07 Dakar 50/50 tires

Yes the direction arrows put them opposite. In theory you get maximum steering and breaking from front and maximum drive from rear.

I have an E-07 rear and a similar front mounted in this fashion and they have been great.

Not a mitas but same direction .
39751c785f39b7b6c29b928084f3bc52.jpg

One down, one to go. Took for a highway ride to the gas station and could hear the drone from the back tire. Nice. Always have had knobbies so it nice and reassuring sound. Rides smooth, no balance issue.:thumb:
Will get to the front asap. I made 3 little scratches with my spoons and I know exactly how and when I did it. Won't do that again.

IMG_20180214_143209384~2.jpg

IMG_20180214_135946657~2.jpg

Next time you go by a tire shop. Ask them for a little tire soap. A little goes a long way. I just put a little around the beads after I break them. If you ever use it you will thank me. Just like I thanked the person who told me about it.

Next time you go by a tire shop. Ask them for a little tire soap. A little goes a long way. I just put a little around the beads after I break them. If you ever use it you will thank me. Just like I thanked the person who told me about it.

Hear ya, using a little silicone grease, and some of that carnauba wax car wash stuff. Need to just go ahead and buy some from amazon.

Dakar is a beefier tire, stiffer sidewalls (more plies) and tread lasts longer.

Is longer life for the Dakar version something you've verified by using both? I've read over on YST that they wear pretty much the same.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair, would rather not mess with the extra difficulty when mounting them and definitely don't need the extra carcass strength for the type of riding I do. But... if the Dakar last significantly longer that changes my opinion on the matter...

trey

Is longer life for the Dakar version something you've verified by using both? I've read over on YST that they wear pretty much the same.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair, would rather not mess with the extra difficulty when mounting them and definitely don't need the extra carcass strength for the type of riding I do. But... if the Dakar last significantly longer that changes my opinion on the matter...

trey
Mitas website says longer life. Stiffer sidewalls should equate to cooler run temp so longer life? Maybe that's a stretch? I've never tried non Dakars, $ savings is very minimal and honestly I have zero issues installing Dakars even when cold.

_

Last Dakar I installed on the rear of my Tenere I was talking to drirtyrider with my cell phone between my shoulder and my ear the the whole time . There really not hard to install. Just harder than the softer tires.

trey

Not much of a sample but my Dakar rear has outlasted my non-Dakar front put on at the same time. My replacement front is a Dakar as will be the replacement for the rear when I need it. :clap::clap:

Not much of a sample but my Dakar rear has outlasted my non-Dakar front put on at the same time. My replacement front is a Dakar as will be the replacement for the rear when I need it. :clap::clap:
My last Dakar front had over 19k miles when I pulled it off. Still had life left but was leaving on a 4k trip so didnt want to push it.

_

I loved the tread on these so I bought them. Not a big difference so got the dakars. Nice quick test on my dirt road and really grips corners vs the OEM streets. Shot up to 85 on the highway and no difference slight hum but fine fine.
Trying pics, not. This Time security token issue even after re logging in, who knows

Finally, bluetoothed them to tablet and tada...
IMG_20180215_153502978~2.jpg

IMG_20180215_153443243~2.jpg

IMG_20180215_153427059~2.jpg

More tiny pics. Some folks can post huge beautiful pics on this site, wonder how they do it?:shrug:

Preaching to the choir I know but the secret is keeping it in the drop. If it's too hard to spoon over, your out of the drop, just start over.

Last edited:
i have these mitas tires on my xr650L and they work great, planning to put ride-on in them next Monday, had ride-on on previous bike and rode it lots offroad and never had a flat, down here near the border all border patrol 4 wheelers have ride-on and the tires wear out without ever getting flats

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback on the Dakar vs. Non -- sounds like the mounting issue has been exaggerated online... I've got a HF machine bolted to the garage floor, should be fine.

These will likely be my next tires, only other tire I'm even considering is the Motoz Tractionator GPS which seems very similar...

mot_17_tir_tra_gps-rea.jpg

I'll probably stick with the Mitas though and let the reviews and feedback keep trickling in on the Motoz.

trey

I too like that Motoz GPS and initial reviews although very limited, have been favorable. But more expensive than the Dakar and to be an equal value the GPS would need to last for 17k miles. Don't see that as a possibility.

_

I kept the side walls compressed or squeezed (with a clamp) together so it keeps it in the drop. Kind of hard to explain
cclamps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, last month on sander's Menard or bust 2 day monster ride. We hit just about every thing a dual sport ride could ask for (I do mean some hard hits). I found out,early in the morning after almost going down in the mud track that I had better do something about my air pressure in my new Dakar's. I didn't have a gauge so instead, I just did a quick 5 count pressure release on front and back. They were filled to spec with 33 psi front and 36psi rear. Not sure how much released but I think it let et down to about 26 which was much better ride.

Question, for this kind of off pavement where traction is a must have, what would be an acceptable, ideal lower pressure to run but still maintain a safe operating level on these tubeless tires. -5%, -7%, -10%? What is the conventional wisdom?

I run about 40 frt and 42 rear pretty much all the time . I don't like to sit down , I'm afraid I'll bend a rim or get a flat. PS. I hate mud

I generally run low to mid 30’s about where you started on my strom. I generally don’t air down i’m lazy and don’t want to air back up. Typically when on my dirt bikes when others are running 8-10 I’m running 15-20. I think a lot has to do with personal preference, and what you get accustomed to.

I have run them as low as 22 on my strom just from not checking them. I could feel it and aired them up when I got home.

Last edited:
Last Dakar I installed on the rear of my Tenere I was talking to drirtyrider with my cell phone between my shoulder and my ear the the whole time . There really not hard to install. Just harder than the softer tires.

Well, as a data point, I had zero issues installing the rear Dakar. Just keep the tire in the dish of the rim like every other tire and it slid right on (HF Changer + Mojo Lever). I've had to wrestle other tires much more.

IMG_20180604_071308511_LL.jpg

trey

:tab Regarding the "security token" error when uploading images, that means your images are too large. Attachments must be no larger than 640 X 480 at 194KB max.

:tab Regarding tire pressures, I generally run my tires around 25-27 psi front and rear. I might go higher if I mount a more street biased tire, like 36/42 F/R. But for tires like the K60s, TKC 80s, and Shinko 805s, I stay in the mid 20s unless I know I will be doing a long stretch of pavement at highway speeds. This is for my 1200 GS. I have never had any issues with bending a rim on a rock or other commonly reported problems from running lower pressures. I think you'd need to get in the low 20s or even the high teens to see those problems unless you have a REALLY hard hit, which would likely cause problems even at higher pressures. The lower pressures really do help once you get off the pavement.

Scott, yep, I found organically , that is the sweet spot for me too.

CHEERS :thumb:

Are y'alls E07 usually a little buzzy/bouncy for the first few miles? I've got about 100 miles on it now (mostly ~60mph commuting), and between 73-80 MPH I get a pretty good vibration from the rear tire -- it feels like it's out of balance. Below and above that speed it's smooth.

Will it smooth out as I put more miles on it, or do I need to pull it and check the balance?

trey

Back