• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camping west of the Hill Country?

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip "west" next week and I've been putting together a list of campgrounds west of Austin, but I've found very little camping between Camp Wood and far west Texas, aside from a few along Hwy 90.

Wondering if you guys know of moto-friendly camping in that area isn't on the list below.

I'd really like to explore Hwy 163 & Pandale, but there doesn't seem to be any camping in the area.

This list covers west of Austin to ~ Camp Wood, south of Mason, north of Del Rio... I'm looking for more options further west.

Also if you've been to any of these places and you think they should be avoided, please let me know, as I'll probably be traveling solo
Armadillo Farm - Luchenbach
Barefoot Camp & RV – Bend, Tx
Bergheim Campgorund - FM3351 - Guad. River
BEST WESTERN Sunday House Inn - Kerrville
Big Oak River Camp – Camp Wood
Black Rock Park – LCRA Buchannan (west)
By the River Campground – Kerrville
Camp Creek – LCRA Lake Travis
Camp River View – Concan
Camp Riversounds? – Castell
Canyon of the Eagles - Lake Buchannan
Castroville Regional Park
Cedar Point – LCRA Buchannan (west)
Chalk Bluff Park - Uvalde
Crow's Nest Ranch - Ft Davis
Desert Hills RV Park - comstock
Fort Clark Springs - Bracketteville
Garner State Park
GUADALUPE RIVER RV PARK & CAMPGROUNDS - Spring Branch
Guadalupe River SP
Hill Country SNA
Homer Martin Ranch* – Mason
Inks Lake SP
JJ'S Rockin' Retreat – Menard
Joe’s Place – Lake Medina
Kerrville Shreiner Park?
Kingsland Slab RV Camp
Koyote Ranch
LAZY R & R COVE - Guad River, Spring Branch
Ledge Water <?> – Barksdale
Legends Inn - Junction
Leifeste Campgound – Castell
Leisure Camp – Fentress
Lost Maples SNA
Menard County RV Park
Morgan Shady Park
Morgan Shady Park – Junction
Oxford Ranch Campground - Llano
Robinson City Park<?> – Llano
Stillwell Store
Wes Cooksey Park - Camp Wood
Yeargan's River Bend – Concan

Thanks for those, I was under the impression that Kickapoo had odd hours, or didn't allow camping or something... not so! I really like the 'middle-of-nowhere' aspect of that place and have always wanted to go... looks like that'll be my destination for night 2, thanks!

Okay Mr. RD sadly the only ones I saw on your extensive list that I have used are Inks And Llano City park. Both are very nice places. If you go to Inks use the camp area close to the closest fishing pier to the ranger station. There is a peninsula there that juts out into the lake and my favorite place at Inks to camp. Note away from the teen party crazies. Clean restrooms and showers close by. Another important issue is get your food before you get to the park. Town is a long way away from Inks. Sonic is on the way if you are coming from Burnet. Park road 4 is motorcycle heaven,unless you get caught behind a RV. For evening eats try The Blue Bonnet in Marble Falls.

Now Llano city park is nice to and last year I camped there say 4 or 5 times. Very very cheap entry fee. Think it was $5.00 last time and it was $2.00 for tent camping before. Inflation I guess. Plenty of space to spread out and pitch a tent. Okay restrooms and a bunch of cafes within a few miles to eat if you do not camp cook.

I can help with places to eat also if needed.

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted this. My nephew and I are looking for the week of the 16th.

There's camping at Caverns of Sonora. I spent a night there when a norther came through. WOW! I pulled my bike up next to the buildings and watched the light show. Great views.
Was only 4 other people there. Showers, too.
Also, although it's in town, there are campsites at the motel on west side of Marathon, with showers and a fireplace built into a wind break patio area.

Again thanks for all the feedback, as for Pandale, if this is the place they still have a web site up... http://pandalecrossing.com/ - $30 a nite for camping is a little steep, but considering the options in the area... well there don't appear to be any options! Not sure I'll get that far this trip.

Devils River is definitely on my bucket list, but the road from the hiway to the campground sounds a little much for a solo trip on a V-Strom on street tires.

I'm planning to leave Austin Tuesday AM and return Friday, route is still vague at this time, somewhere west of Austin... I'll be on a blue V-Strom with the Victorinox logo on the tank. I'll post up a route later, in case anyone wants to tag along, company is welcome

The road into Devil's River IS a long stretch of gravel, but is certainly doable on a bike with street tires (at least the last time I was there). Suspect that the high prices at Pandale are to "keep out the riff-raff". It's a great place.

Marathon Motel and RV Park just outside Marathon is a great place. Cool retro vibe and great owners. Also a great fire pit area in adobe casita syle.

I'm planning a trip "west" next week and I've been putting together a list of campgrounds west of Austin, but I've found very little camping between Camp Wood and far west Texas, aside from a few along Hwy 90.

Wondering if you guys know of moto-friendly camping in that area isn't on the list below.

I'd really like to explore Hwy 163 & Pandale, but there doesn't seem to be any camping in the area.

This list covers west of Austin to ~ Camp Wood, south of Mason, north of Del Rio... I'm looking for more options further west.

Also if you've been to any of these places and you think they should be avoided, please let me know, as I'll probably be traveling solo
Armadillo Farm - Luchenbach
Barefoot Camp & RV – Bend, Tx
Bergheim Campgorund - FM3351 - Guad. River
BEST WESTERN Sunday House Inn - Kerrville
Big Oak River Camp – Camp Wood
Black Rock Park – LCRA Buchannan (west)
By the River Campground – Kerrville
Camp Creek – LCRA Lake Travis
Camp River View – Concan
Camp Riversounds? – Castell
Canyon of the Eagles - Lake Buchannan
Castroville Regional Park
Cedar Point – LCRA Buchannan (west)
Chalk Bluff Park - Uvalde
Crow's Nest Ranch - Ft Davis
Desert Hills RV Park - comstock
Fort Clark Springs - Bracketteville
Garner State Park
GUADALUPE RIVER RV PARK & CAMPGROUNDS - Spring Branch
Guadalupe River SP
Hill Country SNA
Homer Martin Ranch* – Mason
Inks Lake SP
JJ'S Rockin' Retreat – Menard
Joe’s Place – Lake Medina
Kerrville Shreiner Park?
Kingsland Slab RV Camp
Koyote Ranch
LAZY R & R COVE - Guad River, Spring Branch
Ledge Water <?> – Barksdale
Legends Inn - Junction
Leifeste Campgound – Castell
Leisure Camp – Fentress
Lost Maples SNA
Menard County RV Park
Morgan Shady Park
Morgan Shady Park – Junction
Oxford Ranch Campground - Llano
Robinson City Park<?> – Llano
Stillwell Store
Wes Cooksey Park - Camp Wood
Yeargan's River Bend – Concan

Would love to see these as pins on a map for context. Great older thread with timeless application....

Like what KP stated Inks Lake State Park is great.

Llano City parks is good also, just had a bad experience there one time.
Since no one has posted they have had same, I imagine it was just the camp host being an a-hole because he thought he was LE for that place.

Seminole is also a good looking place. Some of the sites you can get sorta out of way, but it is still all kinda close. If there get on the outside ring of the sites. At the time I was there, parents too loud and too much yelling at the kids to stay away from the campfire. I packed and left.
Motel in Comstock just east of Seminole. If the same manager is there when/if I go again, I an't staying.

Like tricepilot said, maybe keep this updated as to hill country and west tx area.

Balmorhea State Park and Davis Mountains State Park are possibilities.

SH 119 that runs by Davis Mountains SP has some nice curves as you get up near the observatory as well.

Also, you could check out Guadalupe Mountains SP at Pine Springs.

Last edited:
Like tricepilot said, maybe keep this updated as to hill country and west tx area.

+10

One thing is for sure:

The Lord Himself has blessed us all with an abundance of excellent places to explore "in our own backyard"

Chuck Blair (RIP) would say...."Let's go!!!"

Balmorhea State Park and Davis Mountains State Park are possibilities.

SH 119 that runs by Davis Mountains SP has some nice curves as you get up near the observatory as well.

Also, you could check out Guadalupe Mountains SP at Pine Springs.

Davis Mountains SP is real nice and McDonald Observatory is only about 12 miles away. oh, watch out for bears.

Dunno if you're interested in more"cookie-cutter-ish" facilities, but KOA has some nice campgrounds in unexpected places though they tend to be a pit pricey.

I know this is an old thread, but if you value your sanity stay away from the Armadillo campground in Lukenbach. the woman who owns the place is a psycho.

I know this is an old thread, but if you value your sanity stay away from the Armadillo campground in Lukenbach. the woman who owns the place is a psycho.

A quick Google search confirms this :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

A quick Google search confirms this :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Fun to read the Trip Advisor comments on her! Not going to make an internet mental diagnosis but it's pretty evident to even the most casual reader. Throw booze on top of that and you have a psychological bonfire.

Can’t help but wonder about her. She is evil to me as a delivery driver. I didn’t realize she was that sweet to everyone!

Back