• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Feel like helping me in my second bike decision???

iDood

Reaction score
I am about researched out... almost to the point of saying "screw it."

But, I figured instead of reading a gazillion more Web pages, I would simply ask here. And, I know this gets into the brand loyalty thing like Dodge, Chevy, and Ford, but what the heck...

I have an F650GS and love the little thing. But, I have it set up with TKCs for trail riding... though it is still fun on the road...

But, I'm looking for something a little more... let's call it "fun."

I like the Honda... CBR600RR...

I like the looks of the Interceptor a lot.

I like the R6...

I like the Triumph Daytona...

The Ninja ZX-6RR looks nice as well...

There's also the GSX-R600 20th and the GSX-R750 20th Anniversary Editions...

Ultimately, I want something fun. I want something reliable. I want something relatively easy to maintain. I want quality.

Like I said, I am sure brand loyalty will raise its ugly head, but you folks are more educated than sales folks and Web sites...

Ultimately, I want something fun. I want something reliable. I want something relatively easy to maintain. I want quality.

If racing isn't your goal then I'd go for the VFR. As far as the race reps, pick the one you like the looks of, decide if you can live with the ergos, they are all dead reliable and equally a PIA to maintain.

This really isn't in the same category as you have been looking but I would seriously consider a naket bike.

I do not own one but lately I have been pining over a Honda 919 possibly to replace my Thunderbird Sport, but then I do like my TBS.

6 speed with a detuned cbr engine - something over 90 hp to the rear wheel I think.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_919_-_cb_900_f_2005.php

-

:tab I like the new Sprint ST's. Kick in the pants motor, good styling and decent price. All day comfort. Can rip in the curves and cruise the straights. Can toss on the hard bags and tour. Can do two up without any trouble. If cost is a factor, I'd go with a 98-01 VFR over the newer ones.

:tab But really, what do you mean by "fun"? Screaming top end? Mega low end grunt? Featherweight flickability? Be specific ;-)

if you want something fun and are interested in a naked bike, the triumph speed triple or speed four are awesome very reliable. if you would consider an interceptor, look at the triumph sprint rs or sprint st. can be had used cheap. big triumph fan so a little biased. though i currently have an ST and love it. previous bike was a speed four and loved it also. just depends on how many miles you want to ride on the second one. anything more then 150 in a day and i would stay from any 600 inline four. i find them too buzzy in my opinion.

I'll throw out a vote for the Kawasaki Z1000.

If you are interested in a straight up sportbike, I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the GSXR 750....possibly the most "well-rounded" pure sports bike being produced currently.

I had an F650GS and longed for a fun bike with more power. So I bought a Sprint ST (2001 model used). It was a nice contrast to the GS. I fell in love with the motor, but just never could get used to the ergonomics. Even though it was a much less agressive riding position than the spurt bikes you mentioned, it was just never comfortable for me. But an absolutely fantastic bike with a very wide power band, and smooth as silk. In retrospect, I probably should have bought the Speed Triple, which is the same motor but sans fairing and is more upright.

In the end, I traded the Sprint for an 1150GS (thanks Adan), and I sold the 650GS. The 1150GS will be my touring bike for a while, so I'm now on the hunt for a fun around town bike. (The Bonneville is at the top of my list right now, but that could change.)

One thing I learned with the Sprint: If it doesn't feel comfortable on the showroom floor, I'm out. So, before you buy a sport bike with an agressive riding position, be sure you can handle the ergos.

I'll plus one the GSXR-750 comment...

If you want a sane race replica, remember the F4i. Still for sale, and part of the "Great Circle" design philosophy abandoned for the 600RR where the bike could do anything pretty good. That couldn't win SuperSport anymore, so they built a race bike (the 600RR) and make it streetable like everybody else.

919 suffers from being too Honda like in my book. I had one for a while (saving a buddy from the repo man) and it was the most uncharismatic bike I've ever ridden. I'm utterly lost when I read about it being a hooligan bike, but maybe I just can't do fours anymore. I found the electric motor like throttle response boooooooorrrrrrrring. Linear to a fault.

Here's an idea that won't cost you anything...go test ride a FireBolt! 250 sized chassis is certainly something different...and it's probably the only thing mentioned yet that you can cop a free test ride on. Worst that will happen is you can say "Yup, rode one, hated it"

So Uber... I am surprised you did not mention your 'tard ;-) IS is not fun?! :scratch

You guys rock. This is much better than researching...

Tourmeister said:
:tab But really, what do you mean by "fun"? Screaming top end? Mega low end grunt? Featherweight flickability? Be specific ;-)

I mean quick. Not super fast, but quick. I like twisties... I like high RPMs. I like precision as well. So specifically... not screaming tip end nor mega low-end grunt... but more flickability and agility.

BTW, yes, the Speed Triple is also an option. I do like it... just afraid with me at 145 pounds the front tire might not like staying on the ground...

Thanks again for all the input... looking forward to reading more...

Tourmeister said:
So Uber... I am surprised you did not mention your 'tard ;-) IS is not fun?! :scratch

Well, he's already got that Beemer 'tard wannabe :-D

I think that if you have more than one bike, it helps if they are REALLY different from each other. Then your mood dictates the ride. Between the DRZ-SM and the F650, I can't imagine there'd be enough difference to keep both of them.

I think that's why so many people have a cruiser and a sport bike.

Now, if he indicated that he wanted to risk his license just riding around the block doing evil things in front of your neighbors, I'd have tossed the DRZ into the hunt :mrgreen:

OK, Let's see...... A chain drive single thumper Beemer owner wants a sporty, fun, reliable, easy maintenance and quality bike. Stay in the family with a R1100S Boxer Cup repli-racer. Sexy sport bike looks, comfy ergos and the boxer twin has buckets of torque. The BMW roundel covers the last 3 items on your list.

Cheers!

I know this doesn't matter to some folk's, but it did to me. Once you've narrowed it down to a few bikes you like, you may want to get some quotes on insurance. Repli Racers do cost more.

Choices, Choices and more Choices

Yamaha FZ1

Ducati Monster 900

I will second the BMW R1100S

btw, what's this tripe regarding your concern about the front wheel not staying on the ground??? Isn't that what we're paying for when we buy a motorcycle. Your entire list of preferred rides could be accused of the same thing. I'm sure the Honda Rebel wasn't on your list for a reason LOL. :lol:

Not super fast, but quick. I like twisties... I like high RPMs.
GSXR600 - 15500 red line, power wheelies up to 75 mph in first gear (video), "flickable". 160+ top speed.

All according to my son who has one.

I'll second TM on the Sprint ST, but if you like high rpm, one of the 600'sm may suit you better. Also consider the Suzuki Bandit 1200, now in 20th anniversary livery. There is supposedly a 650 Bandit coming out soon, as well.

iDood said:
You guys rock. This is much better than researching...
BTW, yes, the Speed Triple is also an option. I do like it... just afraid with me at 145 pounds the front tire might not like staying on the ground...

i had no problem riding a triple i weigh 160lbs. but am 5'10". if the triple scares you look at the speed four less torque but plenty of high revving power.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=790

it was my first bike, only reason sold is i want to tour some hence why i bought a sprint. it definitely flickable weighing 375lbs. dry and has an adjustable suspension for height if that is a problem. it is essentially a daytona 600 without a fairing. only recommendation is get 04 and up, they made some fuel injection changes that helped.

The Triumph and the BMW seem to be getting high marks... nothing notable on the Hondas... though the Suzuki got a good mark.

Looks like I'll head over to Gulf Coast and have a longer stare at the Triumphs, and then I will go see Dean at BMW and give some more thought to the BMWs... though both of these choices are more ccs than I wanted...

... to that end though... I had another buddy tell me not to get anything less than a liter because I'd want one within a month after getting a 600.

Decisions, decisions...

Again... this is great feedback...

your friend is giving you good advice on the liter part. i only didn't get bigger cause it was my first bike...

I'm clearly biased but I've gotta vote for the speed triple. It's a freakin' fun bike. I also looked at the gs650 & 1150, the BMW rockster, Ducati monster 1000, Buell Lightning, and Yamaha FZ1000 but I fell for the '05 triple on the first test drive. If you do buy a Triumph in the Houston area, I recommend getting it out in Katy at Polaris West. Don't get me started on the Triumph dealer in town.

One more nod towards the FZ1. Thermalser and I traded bikes for a while recently, and that is one seriously fun ride. Powerful, handles great, comfortable, versatile and well-built.

I'll also +1 on a Triumph triple. Out of all the bikes I've owned, the Daytona left the deepest imression in my mind. Smooth as silk, lots of character (really nothing else like it), and power... everywhere; 3k rpm, 8k, 11k... and that sound :twisted: . I would imagine the even more real-world-tuned Sprint would be an amazing all-around bike.

if you get your heart on a sprint ride both the new and the old one 99-04. used ones can be had at a good discount and you aren't buying the first year model of a bike. each has plus and minuses.

new sprint vs. the old one

good things -
looks fantastic
abs coming soon...
revised engine (midrange drastictally improved)
trip computer new gauges
lighting improved
suspension improved some

bad things -
bags are smaller (not many helmets fit in the side bags)
ergos are more aggressive
heat from underseat exhaust
ergos are more aggressive
insurance higher now since larger than 1000cc
no rear hugger yet

this is just a couple of small things i have found based on reading riders responses, talking to people, and my observations with the one.

iDood said:
So a Speed Triple or a Sprint...

I'd go for the Sprint in your case, because I see you as being the type of rider that will definitely be putting on some miles ;-) If nothing else, you might appreciate the wind protection of the Sprint ST VS the Speed Triple on long rides.

I had an F650GS not too long ago :oops: The Sprint ST feels not too much heavier or less "flickable" & "agile" than the baby GS and it has a very broad power band. It's a lot of fun when you get it "singing" and it has enough low-end so you don't always have to have it "sing" to get going, like some smaller I4s I've owned.

:chug:

Back