• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike lift

Reaction score
I already searched and could not find a thread on this topic. I'm near 60 and have no desire for a bad back. My right hip already gives me enough pain. Therefore, I need a bike lift for my WR250R. I know its only 300 lbs, but I still don't want to lift. REcommend a bike lift. I've check some but not sure how well they hold up. I've seen some comments on the Sears model that it worked for awhile and then the piston went belly up.

First, let me say, I hate Harbor Freight. I hate cheap Chinese inferior products. Hate might not even be strong enough of a word. Maybe Red-Hot-Hate would be closer to accurate.

But, I tried for a while to buy a good lift but shipping costs kept killing the deal. I couldn't find a used one either. So, I wound up doing a ton of research on the cheap ones. Fact is, they are a bunch of steel welded together. Other than the hydraulic ram, there really is nothing to fail. The Harbor Freight lift ran me 324 dollars out the door. The trick is, to lift the bike, and use the supplied pin to pin the lift in the up position, then relieve the pressure on the jack. Doing this, I can't foresee any issues with the hydraulics for a long, long time. If the jack does ever fail, you can replace it for way less than 100 dollars. In the long run, I think it's a good buy. I sure like mine a lot. There is never a time when I don't have a bike on it in my shop.

97579f36.jpg

Obligatory picture with SnapOn tool box, Harbor Freight lift, a Yamaha motorcycle, and some weird girly beer thing my wife had left in the shop fridge. All this picture needs is a bacon sandwich to be complete.

a5e5ee3b.jpg

Last edited:
Like Ayers, I also purchased a harbor freight lift about 4 years ago, I spent a bit more and got the version that allows me to connect it to a compressor and raise the bike using compressed air or the foot pedal (Have never used the foot pedal!! :rofl:), if you are old you are NOT going to want to pump the lift into the upright position. I have a bike on it all the time and it has not given me any trouble at all, highly recommended, but wait until HF have a sale, they often offer the lift table for $100 less than normal. You ill need a friend to help you lift the box out of the car, it's heavy!!

If you don't want a complete table, there are loads of lifts that go under the engine and lift the bike, buy one second hand from craigslist, again avoid the really cheap stuff as it will fail..

Gary

To add to what he said....

1) I tore a coupon out of some motorcycle magazine when I bought mine. Regular price was 499, but it was 299 with the coupon, and 324 out the door with tax.

2) Pumping the pedal. I'd estimate it take maybe 35 pumps to raise the lift fully from bottom to top. They are easy pumps and in no way a hassle. In my application, I tend to have a bike on there for extended periods of time so it's a complete non issue to me. If I were running a busy repair facility, I'm sure I'd want to opt for the air lift since I'd be raising and lowering it so much more often.

3) He ain't kidding about the weight of the thing either. I'm a full on corn fed Shrek and there was no way I could move it without seriously injuring myself. I had to uncrate it in the truck bed and use my dolly to move it, and it was still a tire flattening strain on the dolly.

Last edited:
One of my bikes is a Honda lead wing (It's called a gold wing, but it's so heavy it must be made of lead not gold) and that pump looks like it would be too much work to raise the wing.. Each to their own.. :rider:

Gary

I probably should roll the lift table under my Chevy truck to get an idea of what it must be like to raise a Goldwing. You might be on to something there.

...just poking at your full figured motorcycle...

I have one of the Harbor Freight specials and would be lost without it.

what used to be a back aching chore is now a pleasure to do.

I very much like my Direct lift from Derek Weaver and the company is a Texas one.

http://www.derekweaver.com/update/index.aspx
I bought the Drop Tail
http://www.derekweaver.com/update/Pro-Cycle_Droptail_Motorcycle_Lifts_Product.aspx?id=2
lift and could not be happier.

I have used lifts from HF, Handy, and Kendon.

Quality and Price, usability and reliability, build quality all together, I'm very pleased with my lift choice.

I use it daily... there is always a bike on it... I've made a few mods to attache a vice and a few other items making it more versatile as a work table as well.
d2101ac8.jpg

lift4.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking of something more like this. I just don't have room in the garage with the wife's car and the hot tub.

No the blonde is not included.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_9HTKu6oI&feature=relmfu"]MX-LIFT-ALUM - Aluminum Motocross Lift - YouTube[/ame]

Any one have experience with this, again, not a blonde, the lift. I already know how a blonde operates.

Gold has a WAY higher density than lead, so a gold wing would weigh more than a lead wing. Just saying. :D

I have a Big Red bike Jack that I got at Pep Boys. Works well. Because my Shadow has the engine sticking out below the frame, I had to make some blocks for mine, but once I did that, no problem. I don't think it will lift as high as the one in your video, though.

I've had a DLT table lift since 2006 and still have it.
In my opinion, once you have a table lift, you'll never use anything else.:clap:

I have 4 derek weaver lifts at the shop. Never had a problem with them and they have great support and are located couple miles west of the shop in Fort Worth. Price was $650-ish last time i bought one

I just ordered an Easy Riser Big Blue lift. I will let you know how it turns out.

I have this scissor lift for my dirt bikes.

IMG_1605.JPG

And a Direct Lift for my other bikes, both from GregSmithEquipment

KTM300_001s.jpg

I am a Handy Lift guy. This is my second one, a B.O.B. lift with a drop tail. I love it. Just changed the seals, works great.

IMG_1843.jpg

Back