• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fuel leaking from throttle body

Roy

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
On #4 boot at the engine connection. Anyone have this happen? Mine puddled it on top of the engine in the dip below throttle bodies. Clamps are tight and cannot be tightened anymore due to the spacers used on the clamps. I am thinking of removing the small spacers so I can tighten the clamps down more.

Roy,
I would not think any fuel should be leaking near the Throttle bodies unless there is something wrong with the injector. May try running some injector cleaner as it seems your is leaking. I use to do pressure tests on injectors when I was working for a living as a rig mechanic for this reason. I don't know what Suzuki recommends for testing it's injectors.

On #4 boot at the engine connection. Anyone have this happen? Mine puddled it on top of the engine in the dip below throttle bodies. Clamps are tight and cannot be tightened anymore due to the spacers used on the clamps. I am thinking of removing the small spacers so I can tighten the clamps down more.

Roy,

There has been threads about this very thing and the cure has been to remove the spacers between the clamps which has cured the gas puddleling problem, but rather than removing the spacers completely and run the risk of over tightening the clamps maybe make up some slightly thinner spacers to avoid that which would still allow you to be able to tighten the clamps metal to metal.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39402&highlight=Intake+manifold+boot+leak

I just had the same problem on my '08 on the number 3 TB (second from right) I tightented the hex key on the side and it seems to have cured the problem.

However, I will keep an eye on it as the bike is still under warranty.

I removed the spacers on #3 and #4 and shaved off .5mm from each. Re-installed them and no more leaking. Pays to have small hands since the inboard one was tedious to get back lined up without dropping it into the abyss. Balanced the Throttle bodies and she is back smooth. Idle is trying to hang a tad high from time to time but over all runs smooth. I really hate this throttle body balance procedure on this bike. Seems stupid to me and I also hate the ISC idle control.

But , why do we have this fuel puddling? This is not right. When the injector shut down the fuel flow, we should not have any fuel flow. This is what has my attention with many years as a diesel mechanic. Just wondering? We should not have to tighten anything to hide this problem.

I am kind of wishing I had not tightended it up but just took it back to the dealer to have it fixed properly.

Then again, they might have just tightended it as I did. I guess if it does not leak any more that's the main thing.

Might be a silly question but it just popped into my head for some reason (still trying to work out why :giveup: )

* How many that have had the fuel puddle also have their PAIR plugged or removed.

I had the puddle coming from #4. Solved it by removing the spacers from #3 and #4. I also have my PAIR plugged.

One reason I ask is on my GSX650F I have discovered that when the PAIR is plugged it idles rich.
I've not checked the 1250 bandit for the same problem yet so can't comment.

But the PAIR plugging maybe has something to do with the fuel leak. I'm going to do some more looking into my theory when I get some time on the bandit

Anyways, just wondered

Might be a silly question but it just popped into my head for some reason (still trying to work out why :giveup: )

* How many that have had the fuel puddle also have their PAIR plugged or removed.

I had the puddle coming from #4. Solved it by removing the spacers from #3 and #4. I also have my PAIR plugged.

One reason I ask is on my GSX650F I have discovered that when the PAIR is plugged it idles rich.
I've not checked the 1250 bandit for the same problem yet so can't comment.

But the PAIR plugging maybe has something to do with the fuel leak. I'm going to do some more looking into my theory when I get some time on the bandit

Anyways, just wondered

Mine did it when new with PAIR connected just not like the other day and not nearly as bad.

But , why do we have this fuel puddling? This is not right. When the injector shut down the fuel flow, we should not have any fuel flow. This is what has my attention with many years as a diesel mechanic. Just wondering? We should not have to tighten anything to hide this problem.

I suspect the boot stretchs/breaks down due to heat/cold and if you look at the spacers off the bike they are borderline in keeping the boot properly tight. I do not think I have a injector problem I have no fuel accumilation in my oil plugs look fine and bike responds to TBS like it should. I believe this is simple matter of the spacers are too thick and over time the rubber intake boots degrade to the point where they are no longer able to stay tight.

rubber intake boots degrade to the point where they are no longer able to stay tight.

I remember having to change out the intake boots back in the late '70s on the GS750s I was street riding and road racing. A common item to change out ever year. But vacuum leaks was the problem then.

I remember having to change out the intake boots back in the late '70s on the GS750s I was street riding and road racing. A common item to change out ever year. But vacuum leaks was the problem then.

Well it had a vacumn leak also. I could see the pulsing and small bubbles coming from the boot. That is why I went ahead and sync'd the throttle bodies. I suspect after 2 years and 24k miles it was time to start having trouble somewhere plus I had the TB's off this time last year when the TPS was out of whack. I am planning on re-checking the sync on the TB's after a few more miles to see if everything is holding. I may have to anyway since the idle is wanting to creep up high at times now after the sync I performed recently. That typically happens when you get the mixture screws too far out on sync. Even I am not perfect;-)

My PAIR line is plugged and has been for 7000 miles - no leaks at all. I am blocking them off here in about a month with the cool MetrickMetal plates!! I also have the fuel vent line removed and plugged at each TB - all is well.

I had the same problem this weekend on a trip to the Northern California coast. #4 drip, drip drip. It is hard to focus on the twisties when you are having visions of catching on fire. I plan on using the fix mentioned next Saturday. This seems like a prevalent problem. Is there a service buletin on it?
Mike

I had the same problem this weekend on a trip to the Northern California coast. #4 drip, drip drip. It is hard to focus on the twisties when you are having visions of catching on fire. I plan on using the fix mentioned next Saturday. This seems like a prevalent problem. Is there a service buletin on it?
Mike

Non that I know of but I do think this should be reported to the NTSB for review since we are dealing with gasoline on a hot engine. I smelled mine when it really started pouring while at Deals Gap back 1st of July. I looked down on the left and seen the puddle of fuel on top of the engine case dip. This could potentially end badly if a spark gets to the puddle of fuel. since shaving off .5mm of the #3 & #4 spacers I have not had the fuel leak anymore.

Roy, you must have really small fingers because I couldnt get the #3 spacer back in. You should have been a proctologist. My leak is fixed now. I did report the problem to the Federal safety board. This is potentially a serious problem. I encourage others to do this also. Use this link: www.odi.nhtsa.gov/ivoq or call (888)-327-4236. Maybe we can get Suzuki to fix this permanently.

Roy, you must have really small fingers because I couldnt get the #3 spacer back in. You should have been a proctologist. My leak is fixed now. I did report the problem to the Federal safety board. This is potentially a serious problem. I encourage others to do this also. Use this link: www.odi.nhtsa.gov/ivoq or call (888)-327-4236. Maybe we can get Suzuki to fix this permanently.

I do have small hands with slender fingers, comes in handy when working on motorcycles:mrgreen:

Back