• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Go like, well......

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
I have my reservation in at the Arlington Library, having just discovered that in 2009, somebody wrote an autobiograpy of Carroll Shelby, appropriately entitled "Go Like H***." The book centers around his very successful run at winning Le Mans and beating Enzo Ferrari at his own game.

Perhaps more interesting, I also just discovered that 20th Century Fox is working on a movie version of the book, due for release sometime in 2015. That's the good news. The bad news is that Tom Cruise is rumored to play Shelby. Too pretty-boy good looking, and not near complex enough character, in my humble opinion. Still, it's just acting, so who knows?

I hope the movie even halfway lives up to its larger-than-life subject.

Interesting thing I learned about Carroll was his connection to Terlingua Ranch. Never new that before.

tr.jpg

I have my reservation in at the Arlington Library, having just discovered that in 2009, somebody wrote an autobiograpy of Carroll Shelby, appropriately entitled "Go Like H***." The book centers around his very successful run at winning Le Mans and beating Enzo Ferrari at his own game.

Perhaps more interesting, I also just discovered that 20th Century Fox is working on a movie version of the book, due for release sometime in 2015. That's the good news. The bad news is that Tom Cruise is rumored to play Shelby. Too pretty-boy good looking, and not near complex enough character, in my humble opinion. Still, it's just acting, so who knows?

I hope the movie even halfway lives up to its larger-than-life subject.

That's cool but better get the book quick, aren't they demolishing that corner soon?

Interesting thing I learned about Carroll was his connection to Terlingua Ranch. Never new that before.

tr.jpg

He and his buddies were the principal developers of our Terlingua Ranch. Prior to that he raced all over this desert in his buggies and Jeeps. He was also good friends with Frank X Tolbert and Wick Fowler, organizers of the first chili cook off here.

When I hear Shelby mentioned, I also think of these. I drooled over them since my teenage years. Cruise seems an odd choice, not tall and lanky, and no cowboy hat. ha

4000BG-S.jpg

Hmmm, Tom Cruise playing Shelby? I would not have expected the larger than life gear head being so short.

Not a big Cruise fan, but we'll see. I thought it was hilarious when they cast him as Jack Reacher. The books all make a big point of how big Reacher is.

tr.jpg

Thirty years ago, people would have said Carroll Shelby IS Terlingua.

As for Cruise, he'll probably do alright. But wow, in a different time, this would have been the perfect Steve McQueen movie.

When I hear Shelby mentioned, I also think of these. I drooled over them since my teenage years. Cruise seems an odd choice, not tall and lanky, and no cowboy hat. ha

4000BG-S.jpg

A buddy of mine at church - who admittedly falls into the more money than sense category - has a Cobra. In his case, the body is a replica (most of them are), but the engine is an original 1965 427 Shelby engine.

Tom Cruise as Carroll Shelby. NOT! Jack Reacher was imaginary so those that aren't familiar with the character in the books wouldn't know. Shelby, on the other hand, has (had) been a visible fixture for over half a century. We can only hope he grows another foot and curly hair before making the movie.

In the 70s my dad had a used car lot in Dallas and for collateral a friend needed some cash and dad took his REAL Carroll Shelby Cobra for awhile. I took it out once, (Dad did not know) for a cruise down Forest Lane, the race track for high school kids back then, and hit over 130 MPH. Did not get caught.....

Thirty years ago, people would have said Carroll Shelby IS Terlingua.

As for Cruise, he'll probably do alright. But wow, in a different time, this would have been the perfect Steve McQueen movie.

Agreed.

I owned a Tiger 260CID...for about 6 hours. Then my Dad looked under the hood and made the seller take it back. The insurance for a 16-year-old would have been more than the car for just 6 months!

Tommy Lee Jones. Has the Texan accent, tall, a bit old for the part though.

I like McConaughey for the part - good idea. Comes by Texas affectations honestly. He has the long & lanky look and his hair is pre-curled. And I don't think he's particularly "pretty." He's got more rugged good looks, like Shelby did. As an older Shelby, I could also see Dennis Quaid playing the part.

Back