• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado: The Classic 1000 by BMW

M

mr-roboto

...saw this on bmwmcc.org. I have put it down on next year's bucket list. All types of motorcycles accepted. With the mountainous route, there is no time for dozing off.

:rider:

RB

--

2014 Colorado Classic 1000

June 21-22, 2014

Registration is now open for the 2014 Colorado Classic 1000, the signature long-distance riding event of the BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado that challenges participants to complete a prescribed scenic 1000+ mile route within 24 hours. This year we depart the Denver area for Grand Lake, CO, the long way around! The route features many of our favorite high country backroads and mountain passes, crossing the Continental Divide five times along the way. Qualified finishers will receive a commemorative award in recognition of their accomplishment and the opportunity to register with the Iron Butt Association for SaddleSore 1000 certification.

Route opens at 5:00 AM, June 21, at the Holiday Inn in Lakewood,CO, and closes 24 hours later at the Grand Lake Lodge in Grand Lake, CO. Fee: $49 ($60 after May 10th). No entries accepted after June 7th. This event is limited to 60 entries and is expected to sell out early. All bikes are welcome. Contact: Eric Levy (303) 670-6073 or coloradoclassic1000@bmwmcc.org or visit us at www.bmwmcc.org

My riding prescription does not allow me to swallow 1,000 miles in one day.
:eek2:

That is a three day ride for me. I like to see the sights rather than ride right past them.

Looks like they revived a rally that was in CO years back and changed the name.

But....

It'd be so EASY on that couch you have!!! :rider:

I just want the route map. :D

Here is about 40-50 percent of the route...roughly. The other half of the ride probably goes to Ouray via some twisty route. I wonder if the extensive road damage around Boulder from this past summer might require a course change?

The first half of June, you can experience WILD WEATHER fluctuations at higher elevations in Colorado. Sleet or ice at night would be a no, no for me.

RB

Attachments

• Colorado BMW Peaks Motorcycle rb 2012.gpx
    479.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Colorado should not by rushed. :nono: Do a SS1000 on the Interstate.

Be safe if you choose this one.

If I decide to ride it, I probably will take the longest time possible - up to the 24 hour cut-off. The average riding speed will be a bit less than doing the typical IH10 to West Texas approach, so caution on the narrow roads is very warranted.

The method of verification is two gas receipts and your bike's odometer reading by a the rally master at the conclusion of the ride according to the FAQ's.

RB

The sponcering club has it together, they have put on the Top Of The Rockies rally for close to 30 years and it is one of my favorite rallies. Flawlessly put on and great fun, yet very Layed back. Payona is a fantastic little town with wonderful riding in any direction.
This 1,000 in 24 saddle sore ride is limited to 60 entries so those that can't understand why any one would want to do somthing like that should not feel pressured to enter ! I feel there will be no open spaces the day of the ride.
The event sounds like a fun day for those that enjoy long distant riding.
Back in July four of us did 10 mountain passes in 12 hours. (And 3 of us were on KLR's & one DR) Guess that is not what many riders think of as a good time but for me it was the best way I can think of to spend a day of riding.
I would imagine at the end of the day the riders doing the Colorado Classic 1,000 will feel the same way.

Colorado should not by rushed. :nono: Do a SS1000 on the Interstate.

Of course, then there's the reverse thinking. Why spend the entire day riding a thousand miles on the interstate when you can do it in the mountains of Colorado?

While there won't be amazing BBQ like I had at my halfway point, I can guarantee you that I'd rather have been riding Colorado passes than riding on I30 and I40 all the way. :D

Maybe I should chime in. This will be the 4th Colorado Classic 1000. The previous events were held in 2007 (Denver to Steamboat Springs), 2008 (Denver to Cripple Creek) and 2009 (Denver to Crested Butte). We attract riders from across the country, including many from Texas. In 2008, we had two Texas riders who hightailed it home after the Finish and achieved their IBA Bunburner (1500/36). Most participants are able to complete the route in 18-21 hours, though some take longer. We get riders on all types of bikes, from K-LT's, FJR's, ST's and Goldwings, to Sportsters, Ducati's, SV650's, etc . There is no finish order, only Finishers and Non-Finishers. We do not reveal the route until the Start, so any rumors of "here is the first 50% of the route" are simply unfounded. I will say this is not the typical boring "get on the interstate for 500 miles, then make a U-turn and go back" type of Ssddlesore. The Colorado Classic 1000 avoids freeways and instead takes its participants on a scenic tour of the Colorado high country, including numerous crossings of the Continental Divide, mostly on sweeping two-lane roads. This year's event finishes at the Grand Lake Lodge, which is a really neat summer resort located at the western entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. We're looking forward to another great event and hope you decide to sign up and join the fun!

strikes me as a great way to spend 24 hours.

Thanks for the info LongRanger. Maybe I'll pencil this one in for 2015. Sounds like a heck of a way to spend the day.

Most of our entrants are returning Finishers from prior years, and so far for 2014, it's still the case. We'd like to think this speaks volumes. The 2015 event hasn't been planned yet, but if your pencil is sharp, circle the weekend of June 20-21. We'll be here!

Attached is the GPS route from a participant in the rally a few years ago in GPX format. The extreme western portion of Colorado looks tasty! The route does dip into southern Wyoming.

RB

Attachments

• Colorado 1000 Classic IB Ride in GPX format.gpx
    961.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Colorado 1000.jpg
    Colorado 1000.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 117
From 9 to 10, is my favorite ride in Colorado. I can’t imagine being in such a hurry to finish 1000 miles that I couldn’t stop several times and take some pictures.

IMG_6316_zps6c88749a.jpg

IMG_6297_zpse47c5edc.jpg

This is a ride of a lifetime. I would love to participate or just borrow the route. Not 2014 but maybe if I get my ducks in a row the next couple of years I might attempt it.

Quick update: 58 spots taken as of today, 2 spots left. We use a different route each year, so we won't be on the 2008 route shown above (it's a different Finish location anyway). That one was brutal. Even though it was mid-August, we had to make some major detours due to unseasonable heavy and deep slush on Berthoud Pass, our first Continental Divide crossing. And the final 100 miles that night were freezing cold and miserable. And this was the hottest summer on record in Colorado... Anyway, nothing but perfect weather is planned for this year!

Still like Highway 141 the best! Something about the high canyon walls and the flowing river that makes my knees buckle....

RB

Back