• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star BMW sold?

This past month I had some major warranty work done on my 2013 Triumph Trophy. Lone Star had the bike for several weeks. I can only imagine what Scott H. had gone thru during the transition. But my bike was repaired just fine. Thanks Scott H.

Now a suggestion to the TWTs about maintenance. We have a bunch of skilled folks on here. Folks willing to help and share their skills/knowledge. Until the dust settles for the transition to WFC from old Lone Star may I suggest WE hold maintenance days. I attend these regularly (3 times a year) for my Yamaha's. Someone hosts it (that has room and garage space) invites whomever needs work done. Sets a schedule over a weekend, sends out an open invite. Everyone helps each other on what they know how to do, share tools, lifts etc. The ladies are invited get together and have a BBQ cookout / buffet. The owner has to do the work but has assistance at hand. It's a fun productive time. Schedule one for BMWs and another for Triumphs. We usually do valve clearance check/adjust, sync carbs, change tires, adj/change chains, electrical lighting work. Here's a link to some pictures of one we had last weekend to give you an idea. Just sayin - as a suggestion.

What if she wants to work on her bike?

I knew when I typed it I was going to get called on it. OK for the ladies that don't ride... Point is, it's usually a weekend long event and non-riding significant others enjoy the socializing as well.

I knew when I typed it I was going to get called on it. OK for the ladies that don't ride... Point is, it's usually a weekend long event and non-riding significant others enjoy the socializing as well.

Sorry it was early and I couldn't help myself. Our local BMW club has a couple of tech days for members each year. The new owners learn to work on their bikes and the high mileage guys cook the brats and give advice. :rider:

This past month I had some major warranty work done on my 2013 Triumph Trophy. Lone Star had the bike for several weeks. I can only imagine what Scott H. had gone thru during the transition. But my bike was repaired just fine. Thanks Scott H.

Now a suggestion to the TWTs about maintenance. We have a bunch of skilled folks on here. Folks willing to help and share their skills/knowledge. Until the dust settles for the transition to WFC from old Lone Star may I suggest WE hold maintenance days. I attend these regularly (3 times a year) for my Yamaha's. Someone hosts it (that has room and garage space) invites whomever needs work done. Sets a schedule over a weekend, sends out an open invite. Everyone helps each other on what they know how to do, share tools, lifts etc. The ladies are invited get together and have a BBQ cookout / buffet. The owner has to do the work but has assistance at hand. It's a fun productive time. Schedule one for BMWs and another for Triumphs. We usually do valve clearance check/adjust, sync carbs, change tires, adj/change chains, electrical lighting work. Here's a link to some pictures of one we had last weekend to give you an idea. Just sayin - as a suggestion.

:tab Actually, we used to have quite a few of these events. I have hosted quite a few. I know DFW-Warrior (Bill) and Hardy Baker have hosted several. I think TricePilot has hosted some. Mbrew has done some as well. I am not sure when the last one was held. I don't think there are any that could be considered "regular" events. They were usually just one off events. As with any event, it just takes someone willing to step up and host it ;-)

:tab Actually, we used to have quite a few of these events. I have hosted quite a few. I know DFW-Warrior (Bill) and Hardy Baker have hosted several. I think TricePilot has hosted some. Mbrew has done some as well. I am not sure when the last one was held. I don't think there are any that could be considered "regular" events. They were usually just one off events. As with any event, it just takes someone willing to step up and host it ;-)

TricePilot's Mad Scientist Tire Academy comes to mind.

Went to the new BMW store Thursday to pick up a couple of battery harness adapters for the bikes. Well they had every connector but the ones I needed. The crew did not seem the least bit interested in selling me anything or seeing if I needed help.:help: Two young ladies were more concerned with Christmas decorations than cash customers. No one approached me and my son in the 15-20 minutes we looked around for the power cables. New name for them should be NO STAR BMW.:moon::thpt::nono:

Went to the new BMW store Thursday to pick up a couple of battery harness adapters for the bikes. Well they had every connector but the ones I needed. The crew did not seem the least bit interested in selling me anything or seeing if I needed help.:help: Two young ladies were more concerned with Christmas decorations than cash customers. No one approached me and my son in the 15-20 minutes we looked around for the power cables. New name for them should be NO STAR BMW.:moon::thpt::nono:

I was in there Tuesday a week ago looking for a powerlet part that a person just ahead of me bought the last one and the sales person went out of their way to check on when they were getting more in and offered to have it sent directly to me. Very helpful and I was pleasantly surprised how friendly and out going everyone was. I spent 20 minutes talking to one of their salesman about all types of bikes and he seemed very knowledgeable. I miss the old gang but should have no problem with new group.

I don't like to be asked if I need help when I visit a store, any store. If I need help, I look around...

I too have been there after the new ownership and did not find anything to critizise of course miss the people I knew.

I just had some work done on my bike at Lone Star and I also picked up a few odds and ends. The service was done right and everyone I spoke to was friendly and helpful. Zero complaint. It appeared to me like they were making the effort.

I purchased a new CRF 450 for my son in 2013. Knowing how hard he rides, I also allowed the salesman to talk me into an extended warranty purchase. Sure enough the boy managed to grenade the tranny after a year and a half. When I took the bike in to have the warranty work done I was told that the tranny was fine and it was just a blown out clutch. Which they could sort right out for $700+, but it would not be covered by the $800 extended warranty I purchased. So I paid the $50 bogus inspection fee and took the bike back home. After locating a trustable private mechanic, we pulled the clutch down in my garage. First off the clutch chamber still had all the old oil in it from never having been opened at the shop. And there was indeed some wear on the Bastet from the disk tabs engaging, but no evidence of plate slippage or any other disabling damage. We put it back together and more time slipped on as I pondered and fumed about not getting a fair deal. Then I heard that there was a new owner at Woods, that he rode and wanted the shop to be a square deal for riders. So I loaded the bike back up and returned to again plead my case. This time I met a new overall shop manager as well as the new service manager. They did not try to give me the run around. They promptly pulled the bike apart and verified that the tranny, not the clutch was trashed. Hen they made right on the deal, when it was an inherited problem that their predecessor shirked out on. So far I gotta give 'em a big thumbs up! :clap:

Another huge disappointment today with Lonestar....

On Tuesday of this week I went in to look for a gift. Lonestar had the right model, but not size or color. With a little poking around, we found the item on-line and I just figured I'd order it direct. Glenn the parts guy was helping me and made an off the cuff comment like "man, you're killing my comp by ordering on-line, I can have it here Friday and no shipping charges". I said I'd run home and verify the item number and probably call him back.

Went to the house and in less than 30 minutes decided I'd just have Glenn order it since he was putting an order in anyway and he said it would be here Friday (today). I called and spoke with the gal who answers the phone and gave her all my information, what Glenn and I spoke about, the product number and description and said to get that to Glenn so he could order it. She said she'd be glad to do so as Glenn was at lunch when I called.

So I call about noon today and leave a message for Glenn to call. About an hour and 15min later I call again and speak with Glenn. He knows NOTHING of the order. So either the gal who took all my information didn't get it to Glenn or Glenn dropped the ball. But the bottom line is, my item didn't get ordered when the parts guy specifically said he would be willing to order it for arrival today since he was placing an order with that vendor Tuesday.

So I said I wanted to speak with the GM. Didn't get the GM, but Levi who apparently is over parts. He listened and couldn't offer up anything other than I'm sorry. I'm the one that had to prod him into looking into this further if he even cares. My impression is, he really doesn't give a ****.

Hey Lonestar management - there are other alternatives in the marketplace out there for the items you sell. You've lost my dollars from this point forward and I'm not the only one who feels this way. Don't have your employees talk about how I'm dumping on their compensation by ordering on-line, then offering to order it for me and tell me no shipping and then drop the ball when I do ask you to order it. It's not a hard concept to understand.

Edit to Add:
Well that was easy.... Popped on-line to the vendor, placed the order and five minutes later have confirmation it's been accepted, then 10 minutes later it's shipped. No shipping charges either.

Last edited:
It's not a hard concept to understand.

Seems to be though doesn't it. It always the retailers who scream the loudest that the internet is killing their business that seem to provide the least service.

I'm in your store because I want personal service, like to support businesses that support me and get the item I need right now. I'm willing to pay extra for this too. BUT...if you don't have the service or the item then I know where Google is as well as you do.

I was in the shop in October, talked to someone about a new bike, said he would call....all I got is crickets.... With the interwebs, I certainly don't have to go 40 miles out of my way to get parts or bikes, I can fly somewhere cool and ride my new bike home.

I e-mailed the store a couple of weeks ago with a question about interest rates on new bikes. About 3 days after my e-mail Shawn (a salesman) called me and we talked for awhile about interest rates and different options on the bike I was interested in. Very nice chat. I met him at the open house and we talked some more. A few days after the open house I got a call from a nice lady at the store. I can't remember her name. She was doing a follow up to my call and visit.

I sent the same e-mail question about interest rates to the dealer in Fort Worth. I got nothing from them.

I think the guys in Austin are trying to be the dealer we want them to be. I don't think I would reject them out of hand for one missplaced call or order.

YMMV

Seems to be a mixed bag. Some are trying and some don't give a rat's behind and are just to collect a paycheck.

PS for those that don't know Woodstar charges a flat $100 fee over and above to write you a new insurance policy when you buy that shiny new bike. Unless you are flush with Franklins, watch for it.

Wild West did well on my first purchase with them which was a special order. I never had any idea they were as big as they are. I still haven't sent in an emergency parts order by email and received a call back in half an hour like the days when Jessica was running parts at Lone Star. We'll see.

I was in there Tuesday a week ago looking for a powerlet part that a person just ahead of me bought the last one and the sales person went out of their way to check on when they were getting more in and offered to have it sent directly to me. Very helpful and I was pleasantly surprised how friendly and out going everyone was. I spent 20 minutes talking to one of their salesman about all types of bikes and he seemed very knowledgeable. I miss the old gang but should have no problem with new group.

Wish someone would have made the effort to say "anything" to me. It was like we were invisible. I wanted several (2-3) power-let leads. So $30.00 not a big purchase but it all adds to the bottom line. We did look ourselves for the parts but they had everything but the ones I needed. Was told they carry them there by other members of TWT. We saw five or six folks minimum when we were at the dealership with not even a hello. I do have a BMW that was purchased there when it was LSBMW. Never know when I might want to trade it in on something else!:giveup: Could have ordered them on line but was wanting to give them some business. They are $8.95 on line would have been more than happy to let them make a little off me but???

The only thing more depressing than coming back after a year away is finding out that not only Bill Kasson but Lonestar are out of business?

I'm going to need some quiet time to reflect. :(

The only thing more depressing than coming back after a year away is finding out that not only Bill Kasson but Lonestar are out of business?

I'm going to need some quiet time to reflect. :(

Amen to that! You are not alone.

BC

Might have to give the other Euro brands a try. The other two European MC dealers in town are still locally owned with the owners at the shop every day.

I could see another Stelvio in the cards some day now that AF1 owns the franchise.

+1! I would like a California for 2-up and V7 for solo.

I need to stop in to AF1 sometime, as I haven't been there since they became a dealer... so about 10 years or more. The New Braunfels shop wouldn't be a bad drive from the coast.

In Texas, we are lucky to have some good Guzzi shops.

I purchased a new CRF 450 for my son in 2013. Knowing how hard he rides, I also allowed the salesman to talk me into an extended warranty purchase. Sure enough the boy managed to grenade the tranny after a year and a half. When I took the bike in to have the warranty work done I was told that the tranny was fine and it was just a blown out clutch. Which they could sort right out for $700+, but it would not be covered by the $800 extended warranty I purchased. So I paid the $50 bogus inspection fee and took the bike back home. After locating a trustable private mechanic, we pulled the clutch down in my garage. First off the clutch chamber still had all the old oil in it from never having been opened at the shop. And there was indeed some wear on the Bastet from the disk tabs engaging, but no evidence of plate slippage or any other disabling damage. We put it back together and more time slipped on as I pondered and fumed about not getting a fair deal. Then I heard that there was a new owner at Woods, that he rode and wanted the shop to be a square deal for riders. So I loaded the bike back up and returned to again plead my case. This time I met a new overall shop manager as well as the new service manager. They did not try to give me the run around. They promptly pulled the bike apart and verified that the tranny, not the clutch was trashed. Hen they made right on the deal, when it was an inherited problem that their predecessor shirked out on. So far I gotta give 'em a big thumbs up! :clap:

Is Dustin the new service manager at Woods?

Back