• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lane Splitting Is Good! Sign The Petition

If I thought it would do any good whatsoever I'd sign. However, "Lane Splitting/Filtering" is a state thing, not federal, so, in my maybe not totally up-on-it reasoning, it'd be a waste of time and just give the data collecting weenies a free shot at one more data point I'd just as soon not surrender willingly.

Besides, I'm too old and chicken to even think of trying to filter through the idjits in Dallas or Houston traffic. I'd get "doored" before making it past 3 jacked-up 4x4's. In my opinion, it'd be near suicide unless laws were passed to make it a felony for a cager to interfere with a bike filtering/lane-splitting and those laws would have to be enforced much more stringently than, say, the keep-right-unless-passing laws.

So . . . no thanks.

Not a matter of being old, nor chicken.
Its a matter of cagers looking right through you and not seeing you.

I an'ta going to do it.

Watch the YouTube vids on lane splitting.

May be you guys need to be doing a little more research on the subject?

And whatever you're watching on you tube isn't necessarily actual lane splitting but probably is reckless driving.

May be you guys need to be doing a little more research on the subject?

And whatever you're watching on you tube isn't necessarily actual lane splitting but probably is reckless driving.

I have done the research, in person, up close and personal, g-t. See Post #5 up/over there, pls.

If I find myself back in Cali on a bike less wide than an International Bob-tail, not tied to a p/u hauling another of my bikes, I'll (try to :trust:) filter/lane-split with the best of 'em. Next opportunity will be in March and if there's any heavy traffic in Death Valley I'll giver 'er a shot ... K?

Last edited:
I consider myself to have done the research, g-t. See Post #5 up/over there, pls.

If I find myself back in Cali on a bike less wide than an International Bob-tail, not tied to a p/u hauling another of my bikes, I'll (try to :trust:) filter/lane-split with the best of 'em. Next opportunity will be in March and if there's any heavy traffic in Death Valley I'll giver 'er a shot ... K?

You lost me at "I consider myself."

As much as I think lane splitting is a wonderful idea, it would take Texas drivers a generation to accept it, much less give it any regard. They barely notice us now. I grew up here and I wouldn't trust a Texas cager as far as I could throw one. The learning curve would likely injure and kill a lot of riders, just my opinion though.

I have lane split in CA, where it is semi legal. And that's cool. Would be nice.

You lost me at "I consider myself."

You win. I fixed it so you wouldn't be confused even by taking part of my post out of context. If the term "I consider myself," standing alone, applies to anyone around here I think most of us can figure out just who it fits best. That you consider your opinion to be more valuable than that of anyone else, even those vastly more experienced than yourself, speaks volumes.

I would love to have the legal ok to split, although I would be extremely reluctant to implement it, except for the rarest of circumstances. I am one of those people that thinks we should be free to make decisions with much less government regulation, but then I watch those youtube videos mentioned above and I see why we have all these BS laws on the books to start with. As usual it is the 10% of the population that screws it up for the remainder. I say we implement wide spread common sense training and if you fail, we stop feeding you.

****, I'd sign it for Okla but we're so backwards that we're suing Colorado because they have legal weed. :giveup:

Not everyone's, just yours. :lol2:

It must be absolute H*** being dense and not knowing it. I hope that some day, sometime, somewhere, I will be in a position to assist you in some way. It will be a pleasure of immense magnitude.

Merry Christmas and a Most Happy New Year!
Ol' Garf

I watch the lane split vids. Then i watch the read ended vids. Then i say better to lane split. Just like the scientific data says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk cuz that's how I roll

If I thought it would do any good whatsoever I'd sign. However, "Lane Splitting/Filtering" is a state thing, not federal, so, in my maybe not totally up-on-it reasoning, it'd be a waste of time and just give the data collecting weenies a free shot at one more data point I'd just as soon not surrender willingly.

So . . . no thanks.

My thoughts too. Truff is, they have all the data they need on me.

Coming from Texas to Cali. I never thought i'd lane split but now its just the greatest thing ever. Don't base your opinions on a few idiots on YouTube. Heres me splitting on the FJR 2up with bags on. Watch the whole video and you'll see a lot of it is just passing parked cars.............[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF_rv9e_crs"]Lane Splitting At Night Due To Accident 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Personal experience - use of shoulder has saved me one pancake between two pickups before. I also feel filtering would be a good thing. I'd also like to see yellow lights a mandatory 3-4 seconds and see if that nearly eliminates rear endings. These yellow blink lights on 50 mph roads with red light cameras are nearly impossible to drive safely. While they are at it, time the lights for the speed limit, not to encourage speeding.

However, traffic laws are a state issue, so signing the petition is pointless unless someone on the hill is willing to attach money to it like they did the BAC a few decades back.

Well, I hope it gets attached to sombody's pork project. At least give it a chance for approval.

Back