• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Crash Compilation & Road Rage 2014

M

mr-roboto

Mainly Russian video cams but other countries are also included. It seems that high-speed lane splitting is a bit dangerous!

:trust:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AgD3q5ljk"]2014 Motorcycle Crash and Road Rage Summary[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGa2fyiCQ3g"]Part 2 Crash and Road Rage Summary[/ame]

yikes! I like watching these and seeing the dangers I might not normally consider. What is the deal with the cops trying to hit the bike riders?

That Part 2 video still-shot reminds me of Myrtle Beach when I was puttin' back South from Virginia after scattering Mother's ashes over Big Meadow and, 'bout Charlotte, realized it was Bike Week and hung a left. I cringed every time I saw one of those gals perched on one of those almost nonexistent pillions on a 'Busa, or whatever. Fortunately, I didn't see any disassters but a lot of the gals were wearing a lot less than the gal in the still-shot and it would/could have been ugly. I guess I sort of insulated myself from potential gore by being where I was gonna be from about dark 'til well after daylight and my parking place(s) were nowhere near where the crazies were.

Bunch of idiots putting themselfs in terrible positions.

The three that "struck" me as ones I can relate to was in second video when the car driver cuts the corner and strikes the motorcycle rider at the apex of the turn. Then at 3:05, the driver of the automobile turns in front of the motorcycle rider which is often cited as a major reason for many motorcycle accidents. The grey overcast skies and the muted motorcycle riding apparel probably did not help.

:eek2:

RB

What are the Russian roads made of? There seemed to be many of the single-vehicle falls where the rider was doing it right, braking in a straight line on dry pavement and lost the front end. It almost seemed like the road itself was contributing to the problem in many cases.

Most were clearly poor judgement on the part of the riders. All the bikes passing stopped traffic by entering the oncoming lane, then, acting surprised when they hit the left turning car that anyone with an ounce of sense would have suspected as the very reason for the stopped traffic.

The one where the truck driver opened the door looked deliberate. There didn't seem to be any clear reason for that driver to be getting out of the cab while momentarily stopped in traffic. Even after the bike is down the door is still open, but the driver wasn't getting out. But, the filtering bike was going waaaaaay too fast, as were many of those riding through stopped traffic.

Great reminders of just how much more dangerous it can be when overtaking in heavy traffic in urban areas at significantly faster speed. I hope they thought the video from the bike was worth the cost.

Lane splitting sometimes there is no one to blame.

The few where the bike is riding at same speed and next to the car and the car just turns into the lane and strikes them, that is what burns me up.

But the best idea is to ride where they ain't.

Wow! In general, that was like bowling pins on wheels.

Between the cars & the bikes, I saw more than enough incompetent and thoughtless driving & riding to go around. In some cases, you couldn't really see what happened - just a two-wheeled missile sliding through an intersection. In most cases, though - probably 80% or more - regardless of "fault", there was absolutely no excuse for the rider to have put himself in the situation in the first place.
- Passing through intersections,
- Passing between the car & curb, particularly in places where turning was highly likely,
- Squeezing through impossibly tight spots between cars in shifting traffic,
- Lane-splitting at speeds significantly faster than traffic speed,
- Pulling away from curbs without looking,
- Turning from the wrong lane,
- Tailgating.
There's more, but my brain couldn't catalog it all.

It's like the best IT vice president I ever worked for used to say -- If you let it happen to you, you deserve it.

"It's like best IT vice president I ever worked for used to say -- If you let it happen to you, you deserve it."

I like that quote, but most of what I saw in that top one was them making it happen to themselves.

It looked to me as if some of those roads were made of small cobblestones. You could see they looked muddy when the camera got close.

In most cases, though - probably 80% or more - regardless of "fault", there was absolutely no excuse for the rider to have put himself in the situation in the first place.

That's exactly what I was thinking from many/most of those accidents... stupid riders taking stupid chances.

That's exactly what I was thinking from many/most of those accidents... stupid riders taking stupid chances.

I always come back to my days of teaching Defensive Driving. In that course, there is absolutely no discussion of "at fault." The class centers entirely on accident prevention, on what you can do to avoid being in an accident. Being in the right is worthless if you're dead.

I spotted several very drunk riders. Russia, where the GO Pro is King, between the other idiots and the corrupt cops you have to have video evidence.

It's like the best IT vice president I ever worked for used to say -- If you let it happen to you, you deserve it.

You make a good point and that seems to be the foundation for part of this accident avoidance article too. For me, if I had to take two concepts from the link below it would be: Assume you're invisible & Leave your ego at home.

Street Survival - On the Ride

RB

I always hated it when John said that to me. Because he was always right.

I think that anyone that thinks they want to ride a motorcycle should watch 2 hours of these types of videos pointing out what could have been done to prevent the accident.

Back