• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Great price, Steve - it's hard to go wrong with a Kelty. When you're using it as a one-man tent, as so many of us do, the single-door and single-vestibule options really don't impact you much.

Tim's spot on

the KELTY brand conjures up feelings of WELL MADE & DURABLE

this model would be minimalistic in nature, for ONE medium>small adult, IMHO

sw

Kelty Discovery 2

Seems like an inexpensive way to get into a Kelty. Should make a nice single person tent (but I think my 3 person REI is a great single person tent). Large single vestibule, single sided door are a few ways to keep costs down but $80 isn't much. Like the full rain fly too.

http://www.rei.com/product/869082/kelty-discovery-2-tent

I have a Kelty Grand Mesa II that has served me well this year. Even held up in a big wind storm in Llano this season.

I was camping in Robinson Park in Feb or Mar 2013 when one of those hit. It was actually picking up small rocks and sticks when it started. I had my bargin basement tent up. It wasn't pretty.

I was camping in Robinson Park in Feb or Mar 2013 when one of those hit. It was actually picking up small rocks and sticks when it started. I had my bargin basement tent up. It wasn't pretty.

There was so much debris hitting the tent I thought it was raining.:eek2:

I received a new Sterno Stove kit. It includes a cup, a spork, and a 6 cup pot. I like it and will have to test it and give some feedback but I know it is cheap.

Hard to find pictures of it or even a site that sells it. Did find this YouTube:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC3Y7yZ85mY"]Sterno Stove Kit Review - YouTube[/ame]

I received a new Sterno Stove kit. It includes a cup, a spork, and a 6 cup pot. I like it and will have to test it and give some feedback but I know it is cheap.

Hard to find pictures of it or even a site that sells it. Did find this YouTube:

Sterno Stove Kit Review - YouTube

popcorn_zpsdb8810b8.jpg

If it's under $100, reliable, and easy to carry, it's a good starter tent. You'll probably own at least one tent before you know what you like or don't like, so don't start high-bucks.

It's hard to go wrong with a Kelty.

No first hand experience with that tent. But if you're using it primarily as a single person tent the single door shouldn't be an issue for you. I like the full rain fly and decent sized vestibule. Don't usually get a lot for $80 these days. Its gotten very good reviews on REI's site. Buy it and let us know how it worked out for you.

I used to have a $20 single tent. Low profile and great in the wind and packed up small. ....but I could not move. I could not get any gear in with me. And I could not move around enough for a wet wipes bath. :)

I ended up getting an REI 2 man at one of their side walk sales for 60% off. Regularly $99.99. I can get all the gear I need in with me and plenty of room to move. Still packs up pretty tight too.

Those sidewalk sales are a great deal! Check them out.

REI austin gateway is having their garage sale next sunday, the 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went ahead and ordered the tent, with their return policy it looks like I have year to decide if I like it or not. I'll let you know how it goes and will definitely be checking out these sidewalk sales. Now to find a sleeping bag...

Went ahead and ordered the tent, with their return policy it looks like I have year to decide if I like it or not. I'll let you know how it goes and will definitely be checking out these sidewalk sales. Now to find a sleeping bag...

I bought a Wal-mart mummy one that has worked well so far for me and is very compact.

Land Between the Lakes has campsites ranging from $7 per person for 3 day backcountry to $75 per night for cabins that sleep 8. Lots to do in and around, and once a year a big trail ride for motorcycles.

after checking out the specs, that looks like a good starting point :thumb:

there is no doubt that if you keep playing, you will eventually end up w/ more than one tent :eek2:

get ready to move the furniture aside, in the living room, so you can get used to setting it up

then gather your kit(minus food & cook kit) and see how you fit it all inside

ENJOY

sw

OK, school me on camp chairs. Do any fold-up in a roll that does not cost $100?
Did find an ALPS Rendezvous Low-Profile Folding Chair. Seems to pack a little "large" though.

Found them anywhere from $24 to $40. Cheapest here at $24, or here at $35. This second link has a video showing a person sitting in it and how it packs. He slings it on his back so it gives you a good idea of size.

What other suggestions out there?

Edit: Found this one also from REI

Last edited:
Back