• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GPS training

Ordering a Montana today. What maps to get?

I made the choice with my Montana to go with what was available out there for free download. I made this decision because I have spent big money on Garmin map products for many years and they are an average at best product marketed at a premium price.

GPS File Depot has TOPO maps available by state, I have Texas and New Mexico currently loaded on my Montana. The NM map shows the majority of trails in Cloudcroft, which is the only place I have used it. The maps are all Garmin compatible.

For street mapping, I use OpenStreetMaps, which are superior to Garmin maps for detail. They are also updated continuously. Many different download options are available, even all of North America if you have a big enough SD card. I have most of Texas, NM, and Colorado loaded up right now. OSM maps are also route-able, work fine in Base Camp, and are very easy to load on your Garmin Device.

I don't ever see myself going back to purchasing any Garmin map products. I really don't know why you would.

Here is the link for loading OSM: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Here is the link for GPS File Depot: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

I picked the Montana because it allows for more points in a track than many other devices. That allows you to make longer tracks with more detail without breaking them up in to separate tracks.

As far as laying down routes? I don't. I only use tracks. I hate routes because I don't want anything re-routed. Period. I would rather look at a map and figure out which way I want to go to get back on track than let the computer do it for me. Especially if I am on a bit of an adventure.

If I am just using GPS to get from point A-B in the fastest possible way I use Motion X GPS Drive on my iPhone where I can get turn by turn via Bluetooth. I have not had any device or app that does it better than MotionX. Besides the cougar voice file I downloaded pretty much rewards me for wrong turns. :D

Any thoughts on the 62?

Attachments

• canvas.jpg
    canvas.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 149
Any thoughts on the 62?

I had a 60scx that the back button broke off. I sent it to Garmin for a $25 fix. They sent me a refurbished 62s back. The menus operate different, but I am getting use to them. It seams to do a better job than my 60.

Went with the Montana, hopefully have by the weekend.

I had a 60scx that the back button broke off. I sent it to Garmin for a $25 fix. They sent me a refurbished 62s back. The menus operate different, but I am getting use to them. It seams to do a better job than my 60.

CH - how are you powering your new 62s?
didn't it eliminate the 4 pin plug on back and now external power is through the mini usb only?
I am using the 4 pin on my 60csx - just curious how I would deal with a 62s if I were to upgrade. Is there a direct power cord option or do you have to do the cig lighter plug to usb on the newer gamins?

You are correct on all counts. No 4 pin & mini usb. I added a cig plug in to my 690 on the blank panal next to the key between the frame trellis. Hooked it to the extra connections behind head light. Very nice installation with a snap cap. Hooked up the gps, turned the wheel.

BAM! The fork tube hit the plug. :giveup:

I'm running batteries. The 62 does a lot better on power consumption then the 60.

I've seen a data cable with bare power wires for the 62 on Garmin, but have not ordered one.

So, I have had a GPS for almost 10 years. I started with a 376c, which I still have and use and now a Zumo 665. I ride with someone who has a Montana and have heard an ear full about the 50 via point limitation for Routes on the Montana. He even called Garmin Tech Support in attempt to resolve this limitation and they were unable to help. So know, when we ride longer rides (>100 miles like each leg of the East Tex 500 this year), that require more than 50 via points he has to break them into several routes.

I know some of you are happy with Tracks only and for off road, dirt roads or single tracks that works great but for Road rides, it is nice to have mileage to turn and time to destination type information. For you folks that use routing, what have you guys done to get around this limitation? I know neither of my units have this limitation and I have never had a problem getting a full days ride to load.

Montana is 250 points per route, 2,000 per track.

Montana is 250 points per route, 2,000 per track.

Perhaps there is a firmware upgrade that he hasn't administered or a model difference, but I can guarantee you his Montana is limited to 50 via points per route. We drove together to and from Colorado and there was no mistaking his frustration with this limitation.

But, this is why I was asking, is there something that can be done to change that limitation? According to the Garmin tech he talked with, there was nothing he could do.

Perhaps there is a firmware upgrade that he hasn't administered or a model difference, but I can guarantee you his Montana is limited to 50 via points per route. We drove together to and from Colorado and there was no mistaking his frustration with this limitation.

But, this is why I was asking, is there something that can be done to change that limitation? According to the Garmin tech he talked with, there was nothing he could do.

Now that I have dug in a bit more. It specifically says 250 waypoints or 50 points. I am not sure what the difference is. I need to play around with it.

Maybe it is referring to the "Via" points.
When I create a route in Map Source, I run the pointer along the intended path, if the path stays the way I like it I keep going with the pointer until map source decides there is a shorter (or different) path to take. At that point I go back a mile or so until the path goes back to my intended path and drop a "Via" point. So now the route stays as intended.
Im thinking your Montana has the limit on those via points.
Waypoints can be anywhere on the map - they do not have to be along the route so maybe the 50 limit just has to do with the points that are associated with the route as in "Start, Via, and End" points?

Back