• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 ET 500; OCT 10,11,12. RUSK Start

My wife has tacitly agreed to drive chase. Only thing is, she is most likely starting a new job between now and then, so it will depend on her employer.

Also, we can provide a driver, but no vehicle (Donations to get my '73 Commando on the road?).

mtnbikeboy Where are we at with the chase vehicle? and/or do we have a driver? Just checking.
Anyone else? Vehicle? Driver? We need to get this finalized.

Thanks! The bike doesn't like highways and my rear end agrees. I will pick up a u-haul trailer for three days and enjoy myself more... my wife just gave me the green light, and I will be making motel reservations.

I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who've done this before. I need to pack super light and my tank is only 2 gallons.

Texxter: I'm looking at motel reservations as well. If you're not a chronic snorer (see above), I'm up for splitting a room. Holly Park Marina (Friday night) has several options, although I have not called for availability. Saturday is TBD as I have not explored options.

mtnbikeboy Where are we at with the chase vehicle? and/or do we have a driver? Just checking.
Anyone else? Vehicle? Driver? We need to get this finalized.

If we have a fully insured driver (and I mean FULLY insured), I will volunteer my '07 4Runner as the chase vehicle. (I'd actually prefer it follow us on the route than leave it unattended in a Walmart parking lot for 3 days.) It's the 4.7L Limited AWD edition and won't have any problems unless the driver decides to test it's mud-handling capabilities, as the Michelins don't provide much traction in the gooey stuff.

If we have a fully insured driver (and I mean FULLY insured), I will volunteer my '07 4Runner as the chase vehicle. (I'd actually prefer it follow us on the route than leave it unattended in a Walmart parking lot for 3 days.) It's the 4.7L Limited AWD edition and won't have any problems unless the driver decides to test it's mud-handling capabilities, as the Michelins don't provide much traction in the gooey stuff.
OK we have a vehicle ..... do we have a driver? Anyone?

So, here's the current update on the driver. My wife's new job technically is supposed to be day shift on weekdays requiring only one day (Fri) off. Due to some staff shortages she has been working shift work (also to learn how things work as her position is/will be a supervisory one), so she wants to make sure she is cleared for the entire weekend. The person in charge of this has been sick and the facility has also been busy, so there hasn't been much opportunity for discussion. Hopefully she will find out today and things will be in our favor. :pray:

BadTex, her work is in your town, maybe you can go encourage them in our favor. :trust:

So, as of now, my wife is clear to have off that weekend. :clap::clap:
Barring any unforseen circumstances we will arrive in Rusk Thursday evening ready for:rider: hopefully without :flip:

... I'm not that "hip" on this GPS "stuff".:doh: ...

Nor am I but after Googling around and coming up still ignorant I found out that (in BaseCamp) a right-click on a leg followed by clicking on "Invert Selected Track" works magic. Voila! Rusk KOA -> Toledo Bend, TB -> Moscow, Moscow -> Livingston, and Moscow -> Rusk KOA.

Now, a couple of questions:

What are the plans for Livingston? Are you hardier/younger riders planning on Livingston State Park?

For those of us who are gonna wimp out on camping, has anyone selected a motel for the evening yet? Looks to me like Best Western Plus is the most economical ($64+tax thru Booking.com) and has good reviews. I went ahead and booked a room there but can cancel if others prefer someplace else.

Edit 1 - Is anyone gonna need a GPS? I ask now as I'll need to pull a mount & power cable off a bike if you do.

Edit 2 - OK, the Oregon 400t did take the (inverted) tracks so if anyone wants to use a GPS but doesn't want to bother with hooking up a mount and power lead from the bike battery, you could stick this one in a pocket and refer to it if necessary or, if you have a RAM ball mounted somewhere, there's a non-powered mount you could clip it into and Bob's your uncle. It runs on 2 AA batteries and I'll have spares.

Last edited:
... As of yet I don't have a mini 12V pump. ...

Brandy-new 12V pump in hand, replacing the one that went up in smoke (and flames!) on the way to SLAP. I'll also have levers, patch kit, and spare tubes though I've never done a patch job in the field.

Texxter: I'm looking at motel reservations as well. If you're not a chronic snorer (see above), I'm up for splitting a room. Holly Park Marina (Friday night) has several options, although I have not called for availability. Saturday is TBD as I have not explored options.

Sorry, I missed this. I have made reservations for Thu, Fri and Sat, as follows:

Thu - Weston Inn in Rusk $65 + 13% tax
Fri - Budget Inn Augustine $60 + 10% tax (35 minutes from Holly Park)
Sat - Best Western Plus Livingston Inn and Suites $63.99 + 13% tax

I wasn't planning to share a room... I do snore :trust:

What are the plans for Livingston? Are you hardier/younger riders planning on Livingston State Park?

I was thinking about camping but haven't looked into it yet. State park is where I stayed last time.

Just looked up the state park. looks like its $15 for a tent camp spot. Who's with me?

I'm still unsure if I'm going to make the ride. With the way work is going I may just join up with y'all Saturday. Time will tell.

FYI...

approx 23 miles from Moscow there are 3 dispersed remote camping areas
along Holly Bluff Road in the Alabama Creek WMA.
It is archery season so they might be full.

Alabama Creek WMA: Camping
Phone: (936) 569-8547
Address:
8096 FM 2782
Nacogdoches, TX 75964

Dates Open: Open year round
Camping
Camping Permitted

Users may not camp or build a fire anywhere other than in a designated campsite.
Users may not cause, create, or contribute to excessive or disturbing sounds
beyond the person's immediate campsite between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Users may not establish a camp and leave it unattended for a period of longer
than 24 hours.
Users must remove refuse from the area upon departing.
Cutting of firewood is prohibited.

There are several designated primitive campsites available.
Camping during deer season is restricted to designated campsites.
Check with the Area manager for specific information.

So, as of now, my wife is clear to have off that weekend. :clap::clap:
Barring any unforseen circumstances we will arrive in Rusk Thursday evening ready for:rider: hopefully without :flip:

So will she be driving your vehicle for chase vehicle or Btweaver13's?
And do we have a trailer? :rider:

I could bring a single axle 7x12 utility lowboy trailer with rear ramp gate if she is game to tow it. That should provide ample room for camp gear and an ice chest or two, plus have some bike capacity if required.

So will she be driving your vehicle for chase vehicle or Btweaver13's?
And do we have a trailer? :rider:

I need to message Btweaver13, but our current vehicle would not be the greatest for this duty and she's vetoed driving the Commando for that long even if I did get it road worthy by then.

I could bring a single axle 7x12 utility lowboy trailer with rear ramp gate if she is game to tow it. That should provide ample room for camp gear and an ice chest or two, plus have some bike capacity if required.

If Btweaver13 is ok with it, she has pulled trailers before. She even got an F250 Powerstroke w/ 10' trailer off the interstate and to an empty parking lot w/ no power steering or power brakes one time when the accessory belt blew. :clap:

As long as the driver has Property and Bodily Injury liability insurance (and is willing to cover my $500 deductible if found at-fault in an accident), I'm okay with assigning my 4Runner chase vehicle duties. It has the towing package and can pull 7K lbs.

Doug and I are both out. Work has reared its ugly head and I can't take the weekend off. Oct 15 is a big deadline and I'm not as close to being finished as I should be.

Now that we are getting closer to ride time, how many do we think we have going? Looks like my daughter (Clutchless) will be able to do this one with us too. But I don't think she has got around to posting yet. I plan to drive up to Rusk KOA Thursday afternoon, and camp overnight. Now that it appears we have sorted our sag and gear hauling needs, I will also camp at Beans, and am a maybe at Livingston State Park. (may have access to a friends lake cabin for Sat night.) After 2 days of sleeping on the ground I could be ready for a real bed, a nice warm shower, a tasty beverage or two out of the 'fridge, and some good old cable TV. :trust:

Now that we are getting closer to ride time, how many do we think we have going? Looks like my daughter (Clutchless) will be able to do this one with us too. But I don't think she has got around to posting yet. I plan to drive up to Rusk KOA Thursday afternoon, and camp overnight. Now that it appears we have sorted our sag and gear hauling needs, I will also camp at Beans, and am a maybe at Livingston State Park. (may have access to a friends lake cabin for Sat night.) After 2 days of sleeping on the ground I could be ready for a real bed, a nice warm shower, a tasty beverage or two out of the 'fridge, and some good old cable TV. :trust:

Good I'll put her down. :rider:If I had a friends cabin I'd stay there too.:clap:

Back