• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

losing motivation to ride?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
If you win the powerball you can afford a motorhome...jeep...motorcycle... & insurance coverage

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
Plus a chauffeur to pilot your Ural. That hack ain't going to flip over with you in the monkey seat. Lol

_

Actually this thread has started me thinking. I don’t guess it matters what ride I have, I’m just losing interest. I used to enjoy riding a lot, but now - not so much.

I don’t know why. I just don’t seem to get the same joy from riding that I once did. For me to buy a new set of wheels would probably be a waste of money. But it would keep the ural company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Actually this thread has started me thinking. I don’t guess it matters what ride I have, I’m just losing interest. I used to enjoy riding a lot, but now - not so much. I still have two bikes, but sometimes wonder why I still have them. Most of the people I went on trips with can't go any longer. Serious thought of going by myself has been entertained but my wife really doesn't like the idea.

I don’t know why. I just don’t seem to get the same joy from riding that I once did. For me to buy a new set of wheels would probably be a waste of money. But it would keep the ural company.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand where you are coming from. While I used to ride for the sake of just riding, that has long gone. Oh, I like running it through the gears and curves. But, just to ride to put miles on it, nahhh. Not any more.

Now taking a trip or even running errands on it - super! Seeing how long I can extend a trip to Hico, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I still like riding, but a 6 hour ride for breakfast that is an hour away, no. Let's ride to breakfast and get back. There are other things to do.

Does this mean we are just getting older or wiser? :shrug: Perhaps only more boring...

Sometimes going to a simpler bike motivates. I mostly ride my 500 single Royal Enfield and as soon as the 650 twin air-cooled Interceptor hits the states I will want one. Back to basics. I see it as back to basics with no plastic to access plugs and mine has electric and kick start. I really don't care about speed at my age. Simplicity.

Attachments

• Royal Enfield Intercepter.jpg
    Royal Enfield Intercepter.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I had a 3rd back surgery last summer, and I have had surgeries on both biceps for torn tendons. I have gone through some spells where riding is so painful I thought about hanging it up. Then I remember I have been riding for almost 40 years, I love it, and it is a huge part of my life. So I just start shopping for a new to me bike and I forget all about quitting :) .

Windmill, all:

Simple is good. Yesterday I took the new blue Moto Guzzi for a nice swan about near the coast, about 100 miles. Day was overcast, cool, light breeze, just a bit of drizzle, dry roads and reasonable traffic. Enjoyed the Zen of the ride to be sure. Tired when getting home.

At times I think about selling my Triumph triple. It is the 675 hot rod, and yeah fast. But, I find the contrast between the refined-smooth-beautiful-comfy Guzzi 750 twin and the screaming razor-sharp Triumph to help keep my interest in riding.

Every once in a while I will ponder either trading a bike, or adding a bike. And do some online, sometimes real time, sometimes test a different bike. So far I have not hit the right change button although I did replace my older Guzzi for a better one last summer. You never know what is out there.

Ride safe and carry on. Oh and home town of Durango, CO just had a classic motorcycle death: Older lady Subaru left turn in front of bike, riders not wearing helmets. Highway 160, a favorite road, but dangerous. Always makes me ponder safety procedures and synchronicity.

Motivation or lack thereof often comes down to risk vs. reward. The last get-off made it abundantly clear that I don't heal as fast and sometimes parts don't heal at all. I can't really afford another episode and that sticks in my head making riding even more of a challenge.

Then again, rarely does a hobby captivate me for more than 10-15 years before I switch to something else. I just need to figure out that next something.

I suggest horseback riding. You still wear a helmet, look to where you want to go, you use the entire body to steer, and lean, just like riding a motorcye. I'll even teach you how :thumb: :lol2:

Yamaha T-Max. Comfortable and peppy and don't really look like a scooter. Hitting 60 this year but still a few years from moving to one of those, but that is something i will be considering in the future.
Come out to Katy, i will show you the road to fayeteville.

Last edited:
Some people ride because they have to, because they are addicted to the sensation of being in the unshielded air, exposed to the elements and harm. They need the enhanced feeling of control, expanded vision of their surroundings, a sense of speed that an safe, stabile, conventional four-wheel vehicle cannot provide. I'm close to seventy one. I dread the limitations I'll have at eighty, if I survive that long. I dread the end of the road life in a nursing home. That isn't something to look forward to. Why be safe now so I can die in one. Death is inevitable. I'll take my chances and ride until I forget where I put my keys.

I'll just have my key switch bypassed & push the start button. I hardly ever use the steering lock anyway. Tank lids can be replaced with twist off types. The seat lock should be an easy swap too
Bada bing

Its all those roads in my head that'll get kinda fuzzy....time for a GPS....?huh

Windmill, all:

Simple is good. Yesterday I took the new blue Moto Guzzi for a nice swan about near the coast, about 100 miles. Day was overcast, cool, light breeze, just a bit of drizzle, dry roads and reasonable traffic. Enjoyed the Zen of the ride to be sure. Tired when getting home.

At times I think about selling my Triumph triple. It is the 675 hot rod, and yeah fast. But, I find the contrast between the refined-smooth-beautiful-comfy Guzzi 750 twin and the screaming razor-sharp Triumph to help keep my interest in riding.

Every once in a while I will ponder either trading a bike, or adding a bike. And do some online, sometimes real time, sometimes test a different bike. So far I have not hit the right change button although I did replace my older Guzzi for a better one last summer. You never know what is out there.

Ride safe and carry on. Oh and home town of Durango, CO just had a classic motorcycle death: Older lady Subaru left turn in front of bike, riders not wearing helmets. Highway 160, a favorite road, but dangerous. Always makes me ponder safety procedures and synchronicity.

I just love air cooled bikes. Guzzi is a clean bike with classic look.

And Robert, " what's wrong with looking like a scooter?" My previous post on my scooters didn't even get a single response. I'm amazed. If your "man card", like Dody called it, is strong enough, and none of your riding buddies will find out you did it, ride a big scooter. This applies to you too Beemer Boob, or is it Bob.

Hey guys and gals. I'm here in the Bahamas on the "100 mile Long Island" of Eleuthera. Its a lovely rainy morning here. My WONDERFUL 650 Burgman is calling my name this morning as several of us meet up and ride the ninty miles to the bottom of the island on Sundays. Only one road over here. I'm doubtful I'd do the ride if it wasn't for having a couple of great riding buddies. The youngest is 65. Old, not hardly. I'm still in love with my Burgman. I'll be back in Texas probably in May and I hope to see a lot my my old friends. ( while I'm riding my other Burgman) To me, the machine and the company is what I enjoy. Sure, I miss the roads we use to ride. But life is full of changes. I simply can't imagine not riding. It's in my blood. Be safe y'all. HB ps, Beemer Bob, you ought to try the big Burgman.
Come to my place this Summer and try mine. Or better yet, come to Eleuthera and ride this one. How's that for an offer.

Hardy, I'm signing up for a ride on your 650 Burgman when you get back to the states. I know it's a good machine from all the write ups I read in the British magazines. I'm assuming it won't need to lay on my leg at odd times to show it's affection, fast enough to cruize the interstate, can pack groceries when shopping, and will carry enough gear for an extended camping trip.
I was disappointed when you didn't attend Bob's Thanksgiving last November. I was looking forward to talking to you about your Burgman and seeing it in action.
It's a good, viable choice for Bob too.
OK, I'm in for a test ride this May. Bob?

Last edited:
I suggest horseback riding. You still wear a helmet, look to where you want to go, you use the entire body to steer, and lean, just like riding a motorcye. I'll even teach you how :thumb: :lol2:

- But, it still hurts when you hit the ground.
- Many horses will jump out from under you if surprised by rabbits. (On a bike you just run over them.)

- Horse still eat and need to have their hooves trimmed even if you don't ride them.
- They can get persnickety if not ridden often.

BUT, they do not need to have their battery charged!

Hardy, I'm signing up for a ride on your 650 Bergman when you get back to the states. I know it's a good machine from all the write ups I read in the British magazines. I'm assuming it won't need to lay on my leg at odd times to show it's affection, fast enough to cruize the interstate, can pack groceries when shopping, and will carry enough gear for an extended camping trip.
I was disappointed when you didn't attend Bob's Thanksgiving last November. I was looking forward to talking to you about your Bergman and seeing it in action.
It's a good, viable choice for Bob too.
OK, I'm in for a test ride this May. Bob?
&....if youre not too ....of the larger persuasion..... The Yammy T Max 500 that grsa mentioned.... Doesnt kno its a maxi scoot..... More like a motorcycle in the way its done up. R1 style brakes...a cycle type swingarm... I wish I would fit .... Id already have one

Been riding the bike to work a few days the last week or two now that the weather is improving. It puts me in SOOO much better a mood when I do. Because of travel and the need to carry lots of stuff, I have to take the truck most the time but man - just riding more helps make me "want to ride more"

&....if youre not too ....of the larger persuasion..... The Yammy T Max 500 that grsa mentioned.... Doesnt kno its a maxi scoot..... More like a motorcycle in the way its done up. R1 style brakes...a cycle type swingarm... I wish I would fit .... Id already have one

Everytime I read a review of the TMax in Bike!, Sport & Leisure or VisorDown they love it's sophistication, sporty handling, power, and features. In fact, it's proven to be the most popular scooter with London scooter thieves. It's the number one model stolen.

Last edited:
Everytime I read a review of the TMax in Bike!, Sport & Leisure or VisorDown they love it's sophistication, sporty handling, power, and features. In fact, it's proven to be the most popular scooter with London scooter thieves. It the number one model stolen.
& ...its available in yellow!! A Yammy fav

Hey guys and gals. I'm here in the Bahamas on the "100 mile Long Island" of Eleuthera. Its a lovely rainy morning here...

Hey George, you been collecting any of those deliscious conch in the shallow bays? :eat:

Robert, sure thing on the test ride. I really think you'll be amazed. If I had to chose between my Burgy and my Vstrom, the Brugy would win But I will say, I do take some ribbing.
Tom, it's always conch season. So many ways to fix it. And the fresh grouper or lobster, need I say more. The water is just getting warm enough for this Texas guy. ( with a shortie wet suit. ) The Winter residents are starting to depart for their Northern home. This Winter it got down into the low sixties a couple of times. Y'all ride safe and ride often. I miss y'all.

Back