TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Offroad Riders > Young Guns

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
Viethorse

Cool My 9 years old son started riding

Unlike other kid in Vietnam, I tried to start my son riding as early as I could.
Not easy to find a bike or especially place for him to ride around HCMC.
And another barrier is his Mom - she doesn't like him to get hurt with motorcycles .

However, men decided. .

Firstly bought for him a NRG50 - 50cc 2smokers, 99HP, automatic bike.

Viethorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
Viethorse

Re: My 9 years old son started riding

He ride bicycle very well so that automatic bike seemed easier than the bicycle.
Drive more than 1hour to get to this site. Let see how he started:

Hehe, first down in his motorcycle life:

Back on track:

He seemed having good posture:

All terrain

Old 04-12-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
Viethorse

After two months riding that bike, I think I need to upgrade for him to the next level.
Sold the first bike for less than 20mins up on my FB page, then ready to get the new one.
Couple of choices were there. And here is final decision - Suzuki RM65:

It looks like a real professional dirtbike. 65cc, 2 smokers, 3 gears, with clutch, liquid cooled, disc brake front and rear.

Kids are really quick in learning new things. He get used to the gears and clutch within first one hour:

Tried his gears for a real practicing on dirt:

Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
kojack06

You're a pretty good dad!!!
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Awesome. Before you know it he will be going on trips with you!!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
road_thing

Excellent, Dad!

'73 Electra Glide
road_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Viethorse

Thanks guys.
We have been out for a practice with his new bike last weekend.

Too bad that I don't have a pick-up truck. Need to get one.

It's good that the Mom doesn't against son's ride:

Then some pix of his ride:

Well, time for lunch:

Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Viethorse

The site was not really good for him. Mostly flat surface. I had to use the shovel to make some holes.
Hopefully we can find better place next time. For sure it will not near my house.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viethorse View Post

Nice sticker on the number plate!

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown
"If we'd have had the video ability of today back then, the movies would have been epic!" - Tourmeister
"We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone" - Katie Thurmes

2002 BMW R1150GS - "Number 5"
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Viethorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
Nice sticker on the number plate!
You are the one who know the best where those stickers come from

Thank you.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viethorse View Post

Firstly bought for him a NRG50 - 50cc 2smokers, 99HP, automatic bike.

99HP out of a 50cc 2smoker. My R1150GS doesn't have but 85hp. Man, I bet it was hard keeping up with that child of yours!

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown
"If we'd have had the video ability of today back then, the movies would have been epic!" - Tourmeister
"We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone" - Katie Thurmes

2002 BMW R1150GS - "Number 5"
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
Viethorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
99HP out of a 50cc 2smoker. My R1150GS doesn't have but 85hp. Man, I bet it was hard keeping up with that child of yours!

Oops..... My typo mistake. Should be 9Hp, only.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Looks like he's really enjoying it

You know you NEED to get yourself a dirt bike so you can ride with him. I promise that will make for some great Father/Son memories My problem is that I can barely keep up with Daniel, and he's only seven! Here are a few pics/vids of my youngest, Rachel (5), and Daniel riding in the woods at my folks place recently.

Show these vids to your son. Daniel didn't blink once while watching them

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #14
Viethorse

Thanks Scott.
I am still lurking....
The more important thing for me now is a Pick-up instead of a SUV. Then the dirt bike for me.
Not an easy business.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #15
4jranch
Forum Supporter

My grandson is 16 months old. What. Is the earliest any one has started a young boy with a motorbike?
4jranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
OLDERMXER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jranch View Post
My grandson is 16 months old. What. Is the earliest any one has started a young boy with a motorbike?
Two wheel Bicycle @ 2 years old. Suzuki JR 50 @ three.
31 now & he's still going strong.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
I have heard people claim they were riding/racing as young as two. I am not sure how that works unless a kid is just tall for his/her age and unusually coordinated. My rule was that the kids had to be able to ride their bicycles without training wheels before they could ride the motorcycles without training wheels. Also, some kids are just gonna have a knack for it, some won't, and some should NEVER be anywhere near a bike! Daniel is good at it and loves it. Sarah is much better than she thinks, but she lacks the "go for it" zest and confidence that Daniel has. Rachel is more like Daniel.

Sarah started when she was about 7. Daniel was 5. Rachel was 3. That is just how old they were when I got the first bike for them. They all started on a Honda CRF-50 with Moose training wheels. I rode with them on the bike with them sitting in front. At first, I did everything and they were just along for the ride. Then I would let them steer while I did the gas. Then I would let them do the gas while I steered. I would constantly be coaching them about looking through turns, keeping their eyes up, etc,... Then I would have them practice using both the front and rear brakes, independently and together. Eventually, I set them loose on their own in our back yard and would coach them. I set up cones for them to practice weaving and stopping.

I did get a second bike, the TTR-50E, just because it was a hassle having Sarah and Daniel taking turns on the Honda. I think they both rode with the training wheels for about 4-5 hours total (over many separate sessions) before I took them off. Daniel took to it like a fish to water. Sarah was hesitant at first and had trouble keeping her eyes up. Once she learned to keep her eyes up, it really clicked for her and she started doing great. Rachel didn't get too ride as much from 3-5 years old just because it was a pain to keep swapping out the training wheels on the Honda so she could ride. I didn't really worry about it much because she still wasn't riding her bicycle and I did not think she was ready to run the motorcycle by herself. So she just got the occasional ride with me on the days I remounted the training wheels on the Honda.

Back in March, I picked up a new Honda CRF-110 for Sarah. She had tried an XR80, but it was a bit tall and had a clutch. She had a pretty spectacular get off that did a number on her confidence and desire to ride even though she was unhurt. She does like the 110 though. IT has the auto clutch and is electric start. Daniel is still on the TTR-50E, but is really ready for something a little bigger. He's eyeballing Sarah's 110... Rachel is now riding the CRF-50 all by herself (with the training wheels). She is not quite tall enough to reach the ground yet, and that is a big deal for some kids. She's been doing real well and I think it may not be long before I let her try it without the training wheels.

A BIG issue with young kids is finding good protective gear. In my view, that is a MUST. I know a lot of us grew up doing crazy stuff without helmets and pads and we survived (most of us anyway...). But all it takes is that one split second moment and everything can go real bad. That is what happened to Sarah and if she had not been wearing her gear, she would have been severely injured. At a bare minimum I suggest a helmet with goggles. Better, is that plus elbow and knee protection. I let them ride in cowboy boots initially. But I did finally get them some real dirt boots. Also, a good chest protector is nice. I picked up one of these for Daniel,

Amazon.com: FOX TITAN SPORT YOUTH JACKET ROOST DEFLECTOR BLACK YOUTH 9-11: Automotive Amazon.com: FOX TITAN SPORT YOUTH JACKET ROOST DEFLECTOR BLACK YOUTH 9-11: Automotive

He really likes it. The smallest one will not fit Rachel. I would have gotten one for Sarah, but they only had one. I'll probably order one for her though. It has a good range of adjustment so he should be able to keep wearing it as he grows for the next few years.

Kids growing is a big issue because they can quickly outgrow gear!! Gear is not always cheap either! I try to buy stuff for Sarah that can be handed down to Daniel and Rachel. I occasionally buy them something new of their own just so everything they get is not handed down. Also, we have had friends whose kids out grew their gear and they were nice enough to donate it to our kids. So we will do the same when the time comes.

Training is a big deal too. I am sure some folks just give the kids the bikes and turn them loose. I spent a lot of time with them going over all the basics about throttle control, braking, body position, traction issues, cornering, etc,... I also had Sarah and Daniel do a class with Kyle of NXLevelMX. They loved it and it did wonders for their riding confidence and skills. It also helped sooth Mom's nerves I also spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos with them. They love them and watching the REALLY good riders will hopefully help them to get a better idea of what they need to be doing when they are riding. That drifter video I posted above is a perfect example because you can REALLY see how he is moving his body around during different maneuvers.

Lately, I have been thinking that I would like to get Daniel into Trials riding. He has some self control issues at times and something like that would be real good for him in terms of teaching him self control, discipline, and concentration. It also builds a solid skills foundation for any future riding. Best of all, I could build him a course in our backyard and thus eliminate the need to load bikes and go somewhere every time we want to ride. Besides, I would also like to work on some of those very same skills and it would be fun to do it with him!

Quote:

Old 05-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
CBaron

I've got 3 boys. The oldest is 12 and has been riding for a year. The middle has no interest. My little dude is where the talent lies. He was riding a pedal bike 1 month prior to turning 3 rs old. He was riding a CRF50 at 4yrs and 7 mos. Never had training wheels on any of them. He was definitely an exception in his peer group. His biggest issue was being able to touch the ground (on the CRF50). I almost shaved the seat and took out the rear shock spring but with practice he developed enough strength and confidence to ride on his own without me making those changes. It took about a month.

He's 5 yr and 3 mos old now. The problem that I have with him currently is actually trying to get him to take it easy. He needs some appropriate and healthy "fear".

Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #19
Viethorse

Quote:
With a motorbike? I think Vietnamese kids are the one who being WITH the motorcycle earliest in the world!
Why? Because when mama go to Hospital for giving birth, she goes (or being carried) by a motorcycle. After some days in the Hospital, they send the kid home by a motorcycle. So, is it the earliest?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #20
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
The problem that I have with him currently is actually trying to get him to take it easy. He needs some appropriate and healthy "fear".
I have that same problem with Daniel. However, he has had a few pretty spectacular looking get offs where he and the bike came out relatively unscathed. Those have helped... some...

Quote:
Great shot!

Quote: