• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT riding events for next year

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab I know this may seem a little early to be thinking about rides for next year. However, if we plan ahead, there is a better chance of getting people to show up. I'd like to do at least two events, a Spring and a Fall event. It would be nice if we could swing a long weekend with at least two full days of riding. The Spring event would be in April/May and the Fall event in Sept/Oct.

:tab Comments, suggestions, ideas, etc,...?

:tab Of course, I will still be throwing together the ocasional group rides scattered about throughout the year as my schedule permits.

Adios,

How about a Big Bend/River Road/Davis Mountains ride? 8)

Most of us would probably want to transport our bikes there via truck or trailer, but that's a wonderful region of our state with some spectacular roads, and might be well worth the trip.

How about Deal's Gap, and/or Highway 9 (only a few miles from the Dragon in GA.)

In state:
Some short weekend trips to:
Hill country weekend
Maintance Weekends. Maybe some of us can host other than Scott.
West texas Big Bend (Will need a really looooong weekend for this one.
East texas trip
Coastal trip to the Gulf.
Ok/Ark weekend trip

Out of state:
Bike week in Daytona
Longer trip to the Ozarks

Howdy,

:tab Well Txcpl... other than the West Texas and Gulf Coast, I hit most of that list with my tour schedule this year ;-) We're heading to Arkansas in two weeks with eight riders. I've got another Arkansas trip in mid October and another Hill Country ride coming up at the end of October.

:tab Here is the real problem though. People wait until the last minute to decide if they will attend. In some cases, that just can't be avoided. More often, I think it is just a case of waiting to see if anything better comes along for that weekend and then doing the ride/trip if not. This creates a problem because hotels are reluctant to reserve blocks of rooms if they don't have a final rooming list thirty days out from the event date. I cannot tell you how many rides/trips I have organized, no one signs up or reserves a room prior to the thirty days, then when I cancel all the rooms and scrap the trip, people start coming out of the woodwork wanting to go on the trip. Very frustrating and I am not sure what to do about it, if anything. I am totally open to suggestions. :help:

:tab I am not sure how everyone feels about me charging for a ride/trip that is an overnight event. I never charge for the day rides. But the overnight stuff takes a little more legwork to setup. I negotiate with the hotels to get lower group rates, I scout out the routes to be sure they are good, I look for good places to stop and eat, I provide directions and maps for the routes, etc,... Right now, I charge about $20 per person for each day of riding. I realize there are some people that canot see fit to pay any amount to participate in a ride, but honestly, does everyone think the $20 is too high :huh: Folks are welcome to check my bank account if they think I am making money from my efforts ;-)

:tab My goal is to continue helping people enjoy the experience of riding: with groups, weekend rides, longer trips, what ever... Sure, I fantasize about making a living doing it hehe, why not!? However, I think that is a long way off, if at all. Right now, I meet so many riders that have no one else to ride with and/or have no idea about their local riding community. I want to get everyone plugged into the collective... resistance is futile... you will be assimilated!

Go to the races?

How about a trip to one of the AMA Superbike races next year? That could be a fun trip.
-sbaker

Re: Go to the races?

sbaker33 said:
How about a trip to one of the AMA Superbike races next year? That could be a fun trip.
-sbaker

I like this idea. How about Pikes Peak CO or Birmingham AL. This could be a lot of fun.

Scott,
I don't mind paying for a trip. I thought the amount charged for the Newbie ride was fair and the trip was well thought out and made the ride super enjoyable. I am however one of those that has to wait till the last minute (actually maybe 3 to 4 weeks notice) to make a decision on a trip. Just too busy with life and lots of other unexpected things to be able to commit any earlier than that. I am going to try to make at least one more ride this year, but it will be a last minute decision. I am better suited for the weekend trips and don't see any way to get any work time off for trips any longer than that.
On another note, what do you think the chances are that I would find a new, factory Hondaline tubular luggage rack for the Dinosour? (1985 VF1000R) Well, apparently pretty good as it is paid for it and on its way to my house! WooHooo!!!! I have also found a small Givi E29 with a universal tubular mount that should fit the new rack. I must be doing something right!
I'll second the idea for a trip to the superbike races next year. I would love to ride to one of those races and spend some time in the local twisties.

Howdy,

:tab I too like the idea of a road trip to one of the races. BUT!!! You have to remember that this kind of trip has to be planned out a long time in advance and it is not conducive to last minute decisions on whether to go or not :lol: Just want to be clear on that. However, that being said, I could easily put together a good trip to the Alabama races with a little North Georgia/North Carolina riding mixed into the fray. The kicker for this kind of trip is that there will be tons of other bikers on the roads with the associated increase in LEO presence. I usually prefer off times with fewer crowds, less hassle that way. Also, it is more likely that the hotels will be cheaper.

:tab I have found that the best way to do long trips is to leave on Friday evening or Saturday morning, take the entire next week, return on either the following Saturday or Sunday. This way people only have to miss one week of work. Now if we try to hit some of the races, we cannot do this because we have to have more time to get to the races BEFORE the weeked. This usually requires leaving Wednesday in the middle of the week and returning the following Wednesday or later. This means that many people would have to take a full two week vacation.

:tab It would take a good 20 hours (1100 miles or so) to reach Pikes Peak for the AMA races there. Birmingham is closer, perhaps 14-15 hours. These times are from Huntsville and obviously are different for everyone. So for either venue, you can assume 1-1/2 to 2 days each way travel time. Trailering helps tremendously. Riding the whole way will wear you down. So unless you have a hangup about trailering, it really is the way to go.

:tab Keep the ideas coming!

Adios,

Howdy,

:tab I am still pondering this topic and would appreciate any more feedback from more people. Here are a few more thoughts from my perspective.

:tab I would like to do a few group rides geared towards less experienced riders. I am thinking that East Texas is best for this because there is very little traffic and the roads are mostly fast sweepers and not real intimidating for newbies. I think I may do an overnighter to Hodges or something similar in April. This would be a fee ride like the one we did in July of this year.

:tab For a big Statewide event, I am thinking that perhaps again East Texas may be the way to go. The Hill country is nice, but it is getting quite crowded, both in terms of bike traffic and LEO presence. East Texas has some fantastic roads, most sport riders have never been out there, and it is relatively central to the big population centers of Houston, DFW, Austin and San Antonio. We could easily base the event out of Huntsville. This means I'd have access to a truck and trailer in the event someone needed rescuing. I'd have access to a garage full of tools to make repairs, replace tires, etc,... It is close enough for most people to make the drive over Friday night or even Saturday morning, spend the night Saturday, and then head home Sunday. Not being a huge tourist area, the hotels are less expensive than many in the Hill Country. Thoughts?

:tab Of course, I would still like to get an event going up in Arkansas! For those of you that have never been there, you are really missing out on some amazing riding. The hitch is that for all but the DFW contingent, it is pretty far away and thus for a one day event, not really worth the drive there and back. So I would make it a two day event like the one we did a few weeks ago. We can either do it Thu-Sun or Fri-Mon. Travel there and back on the first and last day, ride the middle two days. Eureka Springs is by far the best place to host such an event even though it is farther away than Hot Springs. Because of the effort of planning and the hotel requirements, I would like to make this a fee event as well, say $40 for the weekend. If we get enough people, I'll try to come up with a T-Shirt for it.

:tab There are several events that it would be nice to have a showing at: Ride For Kids, Dallas Cycleworld Bike Show, etc,...

:tab Anyone out there willing to sponsor a maintenance day in their town?

Adios,

On the issue of going to races, the AMA races are likely to be crowded and accomodations more expensive. There are the WERA races at some tracks in the region. There is Hallett Motor Racing Circuit near Tulsa, No Problem Raceway Park south of Baton Rouge, Louisiana and of course Texas World Speedway near College Station.

I realize these are not the level of the AMA races but they can be very entertaining. I went to some at Hallett many years ago. I also went to SCCA races at HMRC back then too.

Just an idea.

I would be willing to host a Matainence day @ my place (Magnolia), but when is the bigger question. I'm a little tied up for a while. I would be interested in a trip up to the Dallas show. fee/no fee I would still be interested. When exactly is the show?

fee/no fee

The only events that will have fees are the ones where I have to mess with the hotels, negotiate group rates, print out maps, blah blah blah... Those will actually be "tours" run via my tour business and NOT general group day rides, maintenance days, etc,...

Depending on my schedule, I would very much like to make it to the cycle show. However, I have this bad feeling I am on call that weekend :| We'll see...

I'd like to run a trip out West as well. I've been out there, just never on the bikes. How about some input from those folks that have been out there?

Adios,

As for the MC show, I think we should all pick one day and jsut try and see how many of us can meet up at the show at one time. All the DFW, Houston, Austin/San Antonio and alls yous other peoples out in the boonies(oops, too much Sopranos and listening to the in laws from Long Island) as many as we can. Would be fun to put more faces to the names.

As for the West Texas things. I am trying to head out there for a 4 day tour the end of October/ealy November. going to try to hit Big Bend, River Road to Lajitas and then finsih with the Davis Mountains. I can give you all the info once I have put it together.

Back